Ordered new P2K

Traintown

Yesterday I ordered a new P2K GP38-2 with BN paint and would like to know a few things about it befor it comes it (maybe next Friday or Saturday) For those of you that have them, do you think it will pull 18 - 20 car train up a 2.5% grade ok? Do I need to lube it or will it be ok to just break it in? This will be my first GOOD loco and want to do everything right.
lip30778.jpg

I would like to say THANKS to all that replied to the thread I started on info on buying a new loco, I know I will not be disappointed. Thanks for all info, Mike

Hi Trainman,

You should definitely break the unit in before attempting to pull any decent size train. Probably about a 1/2 hour of running in both directions. Lubrication shouldn't be a problem initially, but would check it about every six months, depending upon usage. Don't over lubricate.

As far as pulling 18 to 20 cars up a 2 1/2% grade, i wouldn't recommend it by itself, Unless the cars are extremely light. If each car weighs the recommended NMRA standard, that is going to be a lot of weight for a single engine. You should at least double head it. Otherwise cut the train down to 8 - 9 cars.

Bob A.

Congrats on your purchase, I'm sure you will be pleased with it!

(Sorry I can't answer your max-cars question, since I only use mine for yard and 'local' service - never more than 6-8 cars at a time.)

Something about the Walthers catalog picture confuses me, though. The radiator fans seem to be spaced apart like an earlier GP38, rather than close together as I've always seen for the GP38-2. Maybe somebody could fill me in on this diesel-spotting anomaly (Josh, do you copy?)

Last edited by a moderator:
18 to 20 cars up the grade will be a bit to much to ask of this four axle unit, i have a P2K GP20 and it liked a little help from another unit on the grades on my old railroad.

CSX_road_slug said:
Congrats on your purchase, I'm sure you will be pleased with it!

(Sorry I can't answer your max-cars question, since I only use mine for yard and 'local' service - never more than 6-8 cars at a time.)

Something about the Walthers catalog picture confuses me, though. The radiator fans seem to be spaced apart like an earlier GP38, rather than close together as I've always seen for the GP38-2. Maybe somebody could fill me in on this diesel-spotting anomaly (Josh, do you copy?)
Ah well thats quite simple really. The Phase I GP38-2 was outwardly the same as the GP38. The closer fan spacing began with the Phase II GP38-2's.
http://walthers.com/exec/productinfo/920-30757
http://walthers.com/exec/productinfo/920-30778

See, I learned too:
1. LikeLike Proto correctly models the varience
2. The varience by Phase...

I knew there was a difference though...

Congrats on your purchase. I love the P2K models. I think you'll find the pulling power to be comparable to most high end models, but I think you'll need to do what the prototype does in your situation, add more units. ;)

Back