Opinions on scale

P&Woaklawn

Hello all. So I have been away from the hobby for some years. Dad had a big layout in his basement. I'm ready to build my 1st. My issue is room. I have enough space at this point true have approximately A 4 by 10 layout at the most. My question is should I go N scale or HO. I am planning on going with the Providence and Worcester focusing on the Cranston area where I grew up. I'd like to have a residential/town area as well as 4 or 5 business to supply. Mainly manufacturing type business as that was a big part of the P and W in my area. Thanks for any help!

Hi. I'll say this for now: if, IF you mean your layout will be on a flat plywood board, make sure you include a pop-up or access hole in it to reach problems in the back. Or, have it free standing so as to be able to walk around it. Otherwise you'll have to attempt reaching from front to rear to fix a problem. In doing this though, be ready to hit things and break things under you.. Next, consider a 'point to point' track plan which forces you to turn engines and some cars on either a turntable, wye, or balloon track, to go back the other way at each end of the line..This is how the 1:1 scale does it..In turn creating more jobs to do, RR-wise. Or, make road a 'continual' where trains can keep running, non stop, but is not the way the 1:1 scale (other than trolley systems) does it..
With N you get more RR in the same allotted space as HO, but tougher to work on, eyesight wise. HO is heftier and larger, but easier to work on and has allot more parts, engine types, car types, structures and accessories available, simply because HO has been around allot longer than N. But only you can make that choice.
Finally: Are you going to run analog DC, or digital DCC, 'DCC ready', or, 'DCC/sound on board' ? if, IF you go DCC I'd personally recommend going NCE PowerCab for control. About $125-$150. Or, you might like Digitrax, others..
All the the best with your project, M

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I'll say this for now: if, IF you mean your layout will be on a flat plywood board, make sure you include a pop-up or access hole in it to reach problems in the back. Or, have it free standing so as to be able to walk around it. Otherwise you'll have to attempt reaching from front to rear to fix a problem. In doing this though, be ready to hit things and break things under you.. Next, consider a 'point to point' track plan which forces you to turn engines and some cars on either a turntable, wye, or balloon track, to go back the other way at each end of the line..This is how the 1:1 scale does it..In turn creating more jobs to do, RR-wise. Or, make road a 'continual' where trains can keep running, non stop, but is not the way the 1:1 scale (other than trolley systems) does it..
With N you get more RR in the same allotted space as HO, but tougher to work on, eyesight wise. HO is heftier and larger, but easier to work on and has allot more parts, engine types, car types, structures and accessories available, simply because HO has been around allot longer than N. But only you can make that choice.
Finally: Are you going to run analog DC, or digital DCC, 'DCC ready', or, 'DCC/sound on board' ? if, IF you go DCC I'd personally recommend going NEC PowerCab for control. About $125-$150. Or, you might like Digitrax, others..
All the the best with your project, M

Thanks for the reply! I was planning on using foam board on top of the plywood. Yes I'd absolutely prefer a point to point. I really don't want to run in circles lol. I just have limited space so am debating between n and ho. As far as controlling I have a digitrax setup ready to go. As of right now I'm leaning towards n scale. Thanks for your help!

should I go N scale or HO?

Well, there are as many answers for that as there are model railroaders. For your personal answer, you'll need to establish some priorities. What matters most? Great details that you can easily see, or the ability to fit in more track, industries and run longer trains?

With N scale you get 4 times the railroad you do with an HO layout in the same space. (8 times really, twice as wide, twice as long, and twice as tall, but unless you're modeling Dubai, the "tall" part is never an issue).

But to get twice the space, you get trains that are half the size, and twice as hard to see. Same for building structures or hand laying track, you start to feel like you're in watch maker territory.

A friend had a Z scale module, and he was able to run trains that were like 50 cars long. It looked amazing, but the stuff was so dang tiny you could barely make out the lettering on the cars, and had it been a steam train, you'd have had to squint to see the wheels. But dang, so much train in such a tiny space...

With a looped outer main, definitely N scale because you needn't have a plain oval or figure 8. If a switching layout, then HO should work okay. HO with a loop in that space would have to be a figure 8 or one big loop with spurs; a bit of a yawner for many of us.

Well, there are as many answers for that as there are model railroaders. For your personal answer, you'll need to establish some priorities. What matters most? Great details that you can easily see, or the ability to fit in more track, industries and run longer trains?

With N scale you get 4 times the railroad you do with an HO layout in the same space. (8 times really, twice as wide, twice as long, and twice as tall, but unless you're modeling Dubai, the "tall" part is never an issue).

But to get twice the space, you get trains that are half the size, and twice as hard to see. Same for building structures or hand laying track, you start to feel like you're in watch maker territory.

A friend had a Z scale module, and he was able to run trains that were like 50 cars long. It looked amazing, but the stuff was so dang tiny you could barely make out the lettering on the cars, and had it been a steam train, you'd have had to squint to see the wheels. But dang, so much train in such a tiny space...

Thanks for your input. I totally agree about the size of the trains. That's probably the only reason I'm debating, is the size trade off worth the more in the same space gain. To be honest my eyes are pretty good but being 50 now it's now going to get any better lol.

With a looped outer main, definitely N scale because you needn't have a plain oval or figure 8. If a switching layout, then HO should work okay. HO with a loop in that space would have to be a figure 8 or one big loop with spurs; a bit of a yawner for many of us.
Yes the last thing I want to do is build a yawner. With the space I have I think if I go ho that's what it will be. The other issue I'm having is deciding on a layout. It's all mainly personal taste I guess. Thanks for your help

Thanks for your input. I totally agree about the size of the trains. That's probably the only reason I'm debating, is the size trade off worth the more in the same space gain. To be honest my eyes are pretty good but being 50 now it's now going to get any better lol.

Welcome to the group! I was an N Scaler for several years, and recently switched to Ho Scale. I’m 48 and was noticing that the eyesight, and hands weren’t working as they used to. I could of stayed in N for many more years, but I knew the change was inevitable. I don’t think you can go wrong with either scale. Lots of great looking, and running trains in both scales.

I had a hard time choosing as well so what I did was run both. I move a lot (military) so a permanent layout is out of the question. In the house we're in now, I put a ceiling track up in my living room which is HO. Shows the train but no scenery. Then I built a small N scale dog bone layout that is easily disassembled. That one has the buildings and scenery. Once I'm retired, I will build my permanent layout. Most likely, it'll include both scales. This may not help you decide but is an option even if it's a temporary one until you find what fits you.

This is such a personal choice that I would hesitate to give an opinion. it sounds like your into operation and not just watching trains go round and round. I would say that this means you might be into a switching layout. Switching layouts offer plenty of operation and are not so dependent on giving length to the mail line! So, the choice of scale is not so dependent on space available. A four foot width means that you will need to used fairly tight radius of 22 inches to turn back 180 degrees. If your interested in large steam; or, three axle diesels, this might not work in HO. Since we really don't know what your interests are, it will be difficult to make suggestions. However, don't fret as there is a pile of information on designing a layout out there! Good luck, and above all have fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO, it depends a lot on what's more important to you, modeling or running trains. HO is a lot nicer to model in due to the size, but by virtual of being twice the size of N, you have a lot less possibilities in terms of laying and arranging track.

I currently, live in a condo, so my choice was effectively made for me by not having the room for an HO layout. But, in some ways, I would have preferred HO due to being able to more easily do detailed models.

There's a lot of great information in this Thread. I would suggest working in HO scale since there is a wide selection of products to choose from and the scale is relatively easy to work with.

You're working with fresh start so you can design a layout that fits your space and purchase locomotive power that will work with the turnout sizes and radii you selected.

N scale is my second choice only because of the amount of model railroading you can fit into a N scale layout.

There are a lot of track plans out there for either scale.

Have fun.

Greg

IMHO, it depends a lot on what's more important to you, modeling or running trains. HO is a lot nicer to model in due to the size, but by virtual of being twice the size of N, you have a lot less possibilities in terms of laying and arranging track.

I currently, live in a condo, so my choice was effectively made for me by not having the room for an HO layout. But, in some ways, I would have preferred HO due to being able to more easily do detailed models.
Hey Frank. I understand about the space issue. Like I said I have a bout 10x4 tops so how involved can I really get in that small amount of space. I keep on going back and forth and my LHS isn't making it any easier. They are old school and frown on n scale and are suggesting ho. Thanks for your help

'bob' I don't think you are correct about the 4 and/or 8 times larger RR in N than in HO.. N is roughly 1/2 the size of HO. Using the same exact track plan for each, and within the same allotted space, I believe the N would be merely 2 times the size of HO..If an HO track represents 10 real miles, then N will represent roughly 20 miles. No ?

Hey Frank. I understand about the space issue. Like I said I have a bout 10x4 tops so how involved can I really get in that small amount of space. I keep on going back and forth and my LHS isn't making it any easier. They are old school and frown on n scale and are suggesting ho. Thanks for your help
10x4 in HO is definitely doable, but a bit tough. I've got roughly 20 feet of n scale track crammed into a 3'x2' space and it seems to work OK. So much of this depends on what aspects of the hobby a person is interested in and how much space they have available.

It's especially doable if you're OK going with a point to point set up or add a fold out section to it.

IIRC, my old HO layout was on a single sheet of plywood and there was a bit to do, but the running of the trains wasn't that engaging due to the space needed for the loop.

I'd vote for HO. The selection is greater.
I've tried Z, N, HO and O 2 rail. I also have some Fn3 for outdoors. If O scale was more popular I would of stayed with it. I finally went back to what I started with, HO. It's not too small, and is by far the most popular scale. Many more items are available in HO and it's easier to model in that scale. N scale just always reminds me of O gauge 3 rail, with their huge couplers.

As far as selection is concerned, HO will have the most stuff. N would be next in line. However the choice of scale is up to the individual. Is the OP really looking for us to make a recommendation for him; or, is he only wanting information on the scales, so he can make an educated guess? Also, has the O.P. considered Narrow Gauge? HOn3 would work out well for the amount of space he has available to him.

I just wanted to thank EVERYONE for all your help and suggestions! I'm sorry I didn't reply to all but I read every one and the information is awesome. I have made my decision....(drumroll please)..... It's HO scale! There were just so many good points brought up about it I just feel N-Scale wouldn't be good for me. I do like a busy railroad and want to do switching so that will help a little bit as far as room. I did a little bit more figuring and I can do an l shape that's about 10 ft long by 6ft so that should give me plenty of room. From the size to the selection there's just so much more going for ho scale. Thanks again and so glad to be here.

As far as selection is concerned, HO will have the most stuff. N would be next in line. However the choice of scale is up to the individual. Is the OP really looking for us to make a recommendation for him; or, is he only wanting information on the scales, so he can make an educated guess? Also, has the O.P. considered Narrow Gauge? HOn3 would work out well for the amount of space he has available to him.
Hey no. Thanks for.all the excellent suggestions. I have decided on going home scale. I just feel it will make a better fit for me. Thanks again!

Back