Opinions needed please.

Cjcrescent said:
Eric;

Youse want some opinions?;) Here's mine!:p You're ugly :eek:and yo' Momma dresses ya funny too!:D:D (One eye open!):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Hey now, there's no need in stating the obvious.:D

I think you're right about the signals. Everyone thinks they need to be scratched. I think that's the way we'll go. That'll be a fun project and I will probably apprieciate them more.

It's funny, but, not so long ago, I hated this kind of detail work. Now I enjoy building signals, detailing locos, building P2K car kits, etc. I even requested an illuminated magnifier for my birthday (which LGM delighted in helping his Mom pick out). What's happening to me???

Eric;

You're discovering what many of us have known for years. There is a lot more satisfaction in saying, "I made this!", than in "I bought this".

grande man said:
I need to get you and Ray together. He's been thru all this. His RR is large and the signals are controlled with BDL 168's and the JMRI program. I bet he can give you some good info and save you time and aggravation.

That's gonna be one COOL project! It's really fun to run trains on a fully signalled RR!

Yeah, that would be a good idea. Perhaps when I come over, I will have time to talk to him about it. I have some projects that I am trying to get done now, but I would like to start the planning for signals the first of the year. I am a gadget man anyhow, so you are right...loads of fun.

Hey Grande Man,
My two cents worth would be to scratch build them, they look great and will only get better after a few. Also when you are done you could build me about thirty of them!! just kidding!, But this might be a great clinic subject if you are into doing a step by step, I know I would be interested!!
:eek:

Andy, hadn't even thought about that. That would be a good project for Gman. :)
;) Ahem...(clearing his throat in his best professors voice). Gman have a preliminary report on my desk by next week. :eek:Or you fail!:D:D:D:D

ak-milw said:
Hey Grande Man,
But this might be a great clinic subject if you are into doing a step by step, I know I would be interested!!

I had considered doing a clinic. I don't feel qualified to instruct you guys on anything, but it would be a fun post and might help someone out there in cyber land. Let me think on this a while...

GM,
It wouldn't have to be much more than a photo of each step and a breif desciption. I know just looking at the step by step pics would be enough to get me started!!
:eek:

GrandeMan, for my 2 cents you can put me down for the semi-scratchbuilt. They look way cool in your photos. And the fact that you can channel the savings into another department for your road is just gravy on the dressing;).Great, made myself hungry again:D .

For what it's worth, Fire the guy in your photo of the train coming across the bridge, I've looked at that photo lots and he is ALWAYS standing there posing for the camera. There is work to be done!;) ;) .

Johnny

Fire the guy in your photo of the train coming across the bridge, I've looked at that photo lots and he is ALWAYS standing there posing for the camera. There is work to be done!
Sheesh! yuh wants tuh fire Deadwood, bet that'd wipe the smile off his face :D

Willis

Well all, here's my second semi-scratched unit. It features heavier brass wire (.020" instead of .012") for the service platform/ladder. I photo documented it's construction, so I'll post a how-to next week when I can upload the pics at work. On to multi-target units... :eek:

120766719.jpg

I ended up using Bruce Chubb's Super Mini. Here's his site.

http://www.jlcenterprises.net/MR.htm

Of course this is a little over the top as far as cost goes, but you can't beat the realism. It'll require an old PC and a bit of BASIC programming. I used all ORS signals. The detectors I used are DCC block detectors.

BIll

Back