Operating 2 axle power (critters)

trainset locomotives as junk.
Hmm guess I was a bit strong but a point had to be clarified. In defence of the train set manufacturer they do deliver a quality product if used as designed. However, like the difference between a Euclid Quarry vehicle and any popular 1/2 ton pickup truck, they're great if used as designed. The quarry vehicle was not meant for the road and the pickup would be useless hauling stone in a quarry.
A lot of fun can be had with a trainset, but the loco was meant to haul only those few cars that came in the set. If a person has visions of building a serious operating layout, that is when the Trainline, & Athearn kits (Low end priced Model Railroad locos) come into play, these units have all wheels for electrical pickup and all axels are powered. In addition they have flywheels for smoother running, are heavier with more powerful motors to handle much heavier loads ( more cars). They also have qualities which detract from their popularity. This is where the next generation of more expensive loco's come into play. They run quieter, have flywheels that are more balanced and in general give a better performance. The next more expensive locos have much better details.
Now it isn't exactly like that but in all it's a general idea of differences in prices. I just had to clear the air for the trainset hobbyists it also is modelrailroading and there is nothing wrong with your trains if used as it was designed for.
My My but I do go on, Also in defence :D of the train sets look at the units on my website, the bodies are all from train set locos, however, the frames trucks and motors are all from Athearns.
13.gif
Willis

Won't be bothering with the Bahmann GP40 then. I have one trainset loco, an IHC BN C_Liner that I'm quite happy with, probably becuase all axles are powered. Should be setting a standard of some sort. Thanks for the replies.

Guys, I need your honest input here, preferablyt with personal experience.
What exactly is wrong with Model Power and IHC locomotives, particularly pick-up, etc.?
Are both trucks powereed?
The reason I'm asking is because they have some pretty cool looking stuff at very reasonable prices. I curently operate Model Power and IHC rolling stock (2 boxcars for instance) on mylayout, and am quite happy with the way they run.

Model Power/IHC are good for starting out, or kitbashing, but with all the other more prototypically correct stuff out there, a lot of folks see MP/IHC as junk. The drives are only okay.
It does boil down to what YOU like. There are lots of Tyco fans out there, and they are in the same league as Model Power/IHC or even AHM.

Hi Roman, back in the 60's there were some powerful trainset locos made. Your C liner may be one of that type. I have a Baldwin shark nose by Model Power (I believe) that is very heavy and at full throttle quite slow. However due to the gearing I believe it would pull a (reverse wired) Athearn all around a loop backwards. I also like the sound it makes.
Just a note on your grade. The enterance to a grade ( rise) should be transitional (gradual) not angular (sharp). If I might suggest a piece of plywood to start the entery to the grade. Also the 7 ft. rise doesnt have to be in a straight line. You can enter on a straight and continue the rise through a curve to obtain the height you require.

13.gif
Willis

HaggisKennedy said:
Bachmann Spectrum are hit and miss. Some really run well, and for a long time. Others will run into a bearing problem, and they'll start to squeal. Not much you can do about that; many of us who had this problem have tried to fix it, but it never really goes away.

At the time (back 3-4 years ago), it was said that some will squeal quicker than others. But, it was also mentioned that based on their experience, it will eventually squeal. Can't recall what the problem was.
What kind of a squeal is it? Is it loud and annoying or just a little bit? As Bachmann Spectrum has some nice looking power...
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/160-60709

CBCNSfan said:
Hi Roman, back in the 60's there were some powerful trainset locos made. Your C liner may be one of that type. I have a Baldwin shark nose by Model Power (I believe) that is very heavy and at full throttle quite slow.

I also like the sound it makes.
Model Power is still selling a CN version of it.:D Speedwise, at full speed the IHC C-Liner is faster then the Walthers GP9M, then again what can you expect from a Geep? It performs great at slow speeds though. The sound from the C-Liner is great also.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm considering a couple engines, such as this beatifull SD24
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/348-3807
and as I said, I see no problem with my IHC running, after 5 years and no maintenance.

Thanks for all the information on the heights.

I don't know how loud it is, but it is noticeable. None of mine have had the problem, fortunately. But, those who have had the problem have found it annoying.

Kennedy

HaggisKennedy said:
I don't know how loud it is, but it is noticeable. None of mine have had the problem, fortunately. But, those who have had the problem have found it annoying.

Kennedy
I posted the same question on a yahoo group and here's what I received:
Nothin a shot of oil on the motor shaft bearings will not fix.
Some Bachmann steamers also squeal and it is usually the worm shaft
on those.

Matthew

> New member on the board here.
>
> I've hurt from a number of modelers that many Bachmann units
develop a
> squealing problem, yet some are spared.
>
> I was wondering if anyone had such a problem? Specifically with
their
> GP35's? Could you please discribe the squeling problem then?
>
> Thanks.
>

I'm still skeptical though...

Back