one direction or bidirectional

joed2323

Is a layout more believable if trains only go one direction, this probably simplifies things.
:eek:
Would a person have more fun with a layout that has a reverse loop or wye? Something to change the direction of trains.
Yeah alot of people probably would go with a turntable but not me. Im stuck with the idea of using a wye on my layout of 10x10. Or not and running trains one direction.

Just cant come to terms.on which i will like more since ive never had a layout other then a oval:)

As of now i cut 2 inch cardboard track templates down around my layout, i have the wye template in now and i seems to like it. My wye is on the inside of main track and it feeds my yard so going in or out of yard i can reverse direction.

Good or bad

Is a layout more believable if trains only go one direction, this probably simplifies things.
:eek:
Would a person have more fun with a layout that has a reverse loop or wye? Something to change the direction of trains.
Yeah alot of people probably would go with a turntable but not me. Im stuck with the idea of using a wye on my layout of 10x10. Or not and running trains one direction.

Just cant come to terms.on which i will like more since ive never had a layout other then a oval:)

As of now i cut 2 inch cardboard track templates down around my layout, i have the wye template in now and i seems to like it. My wye is on the inside of main track and it feeds my yard so going in or out of yard i can reverse direction.

Good or bad

Not sure why trains have to only go in one direction - if you have a runaround somewhere, trains can always reverse directions:

turning-train.jpg

Smile,
Stein

Why a "Wye"

The "Central Midland" layout that i use has a Wye. I use the layout as a single direction system however since my yard is a dead end at this time I use the Wye to turn my locomotives around and I like to be able to do that. I dont have a suitable place for a turn table.
Thanks
Wayne

" if trains only go one direction, this probably simplifies things."

I'm sure it does, but what happens when all the trains are at one end of the layout?

Yes I have a reversing section, for me it was a must have. I can't stand seeing trains moving in one direction all the time.

I like to see mainline trains pass each other going the opposite direction. Man that is very cool.

If you got the room, go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steinjr-

What happens when u have one train pulling cars not 2. Especially branch lines near me. I see 1 canadian national train pulling a string of cars

How do u turn it around on a roundaround? Yea sure it can go backwards but why?

Steinjr-

What happens when u have one train pulling cars not 2. Especially branch lines near me. I see 1 canadian national train pulling a string of cars

It's not ideal to have to run long hood forward, but it is done. I've seen an NS local in NJ do just that. The New Hope & Ivyland short tourist runs are handled the same way. I'm sure there's countless other examples.

You've been following my track planning thread, in my case I'm probably be going to make the return trip long hood forward, unless I do use two locos, but I fear the average train length and overall shortline feel of the layout just won't support two engines. But it is MY railroad, so we'll see!

I once caught the Arizona and Eastern out near Globe, AZ. One engine was on the point, then some cars, then an idling engine facing the other way at the rear of the train. Another way to handle the problem.

Ur absolutely right about that gmtrainnut. I guess i thought that looks funny but hey whatever moves the cars right

It's not ideal to have to run long hood forward, but it is done. I've seen an NS local in NJ do just that. The New Hope & Ivyland short tourist runs are handled the same way. I'm sure there's countless other examples.

You've been following my track planning thread, in my case I'm probably be going to make the return trip long hood forward, unless I do use two locos, but I fear the average train length and overall shortline feel of the layout just won't support two engines. But it is MY railroad, so we'll see!

I once caught the Arizona and Eastern out near Globe, AZ. One engine was on the point, then some cars, then an idling engine facing the other way at the rear of the train. Another way to handle the problem.

I have seen your thread, and you have plenty of room for a wye. Heck, you can have wrestling match in that donuts hole. I am planning a layout(yes I have read the J.Armstrong book, despite the odds), and it is very similar to your plan, but i will have staging, and probably a wye.

You can turn trains around using a wye on your sized layout if you feel you would like too. I understand having a run around for passing trains, and that's cool too. I would like to use my motive power for both north and south runs, and my lone switched might enjoy both sides as well.

Steinjr-

You (not u) turn a _train_ by reversing the direction it is traveling in. You can move a train with the _engine_ at the front pulling the cars, at the rear pushing cars, with the engine sandwiched between cars, with the engine running F end forward or F end at rear. Steam locos were often turned before the return journey. Diesels -not so often.

Our local, now defunct RR had a balloon track. Basically a reverse loop in the middle of a field. It had a team track and a small diesel servicing area with an office. The big loop in the field would not be too fun to model, but if the prototype used a balloon track to turn a Loco, it was usually as I described...from my limited research on the topic.

Our local, now defunct RR had a balloon track. Basically a reverse loop in the middle of a field. It had a team track and a small diesel servicing area with an office. The big loop in the field would not be too fun to model, but if the prototype used a balloon track to turn a Loco, it was usually as I described...from my limited research on the topic.

Well, balloon tracks certainly can be used to turn trains (or just to turn locomotives). As can wyes. Locomotives can also be turned on turntables.

Another way to turn a locomotive or short train on a model railroad - run the train onto a cassette, detach, turn 180 degrees, reattach - you now have a train length turntable.

But it all boils down to what you think is "more fun with a layout", as the OP formulated it.

Weaving back and forth through the same scene multiple times is an excellent way of creating the feeling that one is watching an amusement park ride in some theme park.

Modeling a train just going one way through the layout, coming from staging and leaving for staging, or going out, reversing directions and then going back is more likely to create an impression of your layout being a small part of a real railroad.

Different strokes for different people.

Smile,
Stein

I have seen your thread, and you have plenty of room for a wye. Heck, you can have wrestling match in that donuts hole. I am planning a layout(yes I have read the J.Armstrong book, despite the odds), and it is very similar to your plan, but i will have staging, and probably a wye.

You can turn trains around using a wye on your sized layout if you feel you would like too. I understand having a run around for passing trains, and that's cool too. I would like to use my motive power for both north and south runs, and my lone switched might enjoy both sides as well.

Devin,

I have thought about a peninsula, believe me. As part of the planning process I intend to draw up a plan or two to see if the operational advantages are worth it in my case.

Back