On30 shay does a 12 inch curve

fsm1000

Stephen
I tried out my new On30 Bachman shay. I measure my radii from the inner rail and not from the center as most do.
Anyhow, the boxcar and caboose are HO though. I will have to use slightly longer couplers for On30 cars because they are wider. Other than that everything went very very well.
It derailed on a 10 inch [inner rail radius] curve though.

The pictures are on my website if you want to go look.
Have fun and enjoy.
Gonna try to add pictures here. Bigger ones are on my website.

Welcome.

I always wanted to know how tight one of those suckers could go. I plan an HO logging layout, but I think my 2-6-2 saddle tankers will be a greater limitation than my Shay.

Chip actually some of the others like the 2- 8's can only do a 22 inch radius. You really do have to test them. Or have someone else do it.
I made that test board myself. Maaybe you can see the lines I drew and also peg like things . All made on and with foam core board.
I hope that helps.

My 2-8-0 has no problems on 18" curves. I'm assuming that a Baldwin 2-6-2T, which was used by my prototype almost exclusively as a lumber jack because the Shays just didn't hold up, had a pretty tight radius because of the lack of tender. But I haven't tested them yet. As a matter of fact, I haven't even bashed them yet. They are still 3 0-6-0T kits. But they had a Shay in 1917, the year I'm going to model, so I'll have one on the layout.

Space cool. If you are the same spacemouse from the 'other' forum I know you know I post pics of what I say. Maybe you can post some as well when you test. :)

Back