On30? Anyone?

p51

Marty, it runs on steam!
I'm a big ET&WNC fan and recently got a great deal on the new "Tweetsie" 4-6-0 that is out and now I'm going to build a small fiddle layout to the standard of the local On30 module group, just in case I ever want to take that up.
Any other On30 modelers here?

There's a few of us up here that are getting into it now. (MB)
It all started with a shay from ebay and sort of grew like a fungus within our local club!
Looking at building some simple modules to start off with.
Post pics when you can, could use the insperation!

Welcome to the forum, P!

Yes, I'm an On30 guy. Got unassembled benchwork piled in the garage waiting for a spot to set it up.

Yes, we want pix. (No, you don't want to see my photos- they'd bore you to tears.)

This started out as a small HO layout that I worked on with one of my grandsons…we switched to On30 in the middle of construction….

cabin12.jpg

We’ve now abandoned this project because we were having some serious issues with the HO sectional track we used…Oh well, it was a learning experience for both of us!

In the future we’ll be focusing more on the HO layout…

Don't give up on that, Drew. What you've shown us looks great. Remember: recycle, reuse and re-something else.

Since your a Tweetsie fan here is the start of the Cranberry Iron works that I a doing for a client. Done in Sn3 but it would be similar in size for On30, which is the scale that I model when I have a moment. This piece will be part of one of the layout tours next year at St. Louis on one of the nicest Tweetsie layouts that I have seen.

Last shot is one John's layout as the local works its way through the gorge.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm mostly collecting, kitbashing and building structures for a possible On30 shelf layout. Here are photos of my large and small locos taken a while ago, the collection has grown a bit since then.

I'm currently working on a scratch build speeder shed, I scaled up a Durango Press HO scale one I made years ago. Has interior framing and I'm working on the detailing at this time, with the idea of photographing the interior when completed.

Since your a Tweetsie fan here is the start of the Cranberry Iron works that I a doing for a client. Done in Sn3 but it would be similar in size for On30, which is the scale that I model when I have a moment. This piece will be part of one of the layout tours next year at St. Louis on one of the nicest Tweetsie layouts that I have seen.
Last shot is one John's layout as the local works its way through the gorge.
Wow, impressive, especially the last shot. I’ve heard of that layout but haven’t seen too many photos of it. The recreation of Pardee Point is very well done. I’ve been to the real location more than once myself, as can be seen in this photo. I won’t have nearly the room to pull anything like that off, though.

Glad to see another narrow-minded individual around! ;) Welcome to the dark side!
I model in On30 as well; logging out east, mostly.
Cheers,
-Chris

P51 some shots of the finished (except for some minor details) stock house and machine shop for the Cranberry Iron Works.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models

P51 some shots of the finished (except for some minor details) stock house and machine shop for the Cranberry Iron Works.

Matt Dillow
MD Custom Models
Will you be making any of the ET&WNC depots of more well-known bridges?
Here's my ET # 11, just made her first break in run on a piece of flex track which is all I have at the moment:
11sideviewOn30.png

This gives you idea of the level of detail right out of the box. You can also see the partially crooked whistle I glued back in place :rolleyes: :
11side.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This engine looks SO MUCH like the old G-Scale Bachmanns...

chatt-460.JPG

...to the extent that it's almost a turn-off for me with regards to picking one up. I suppose it doesn't look quite so bad when you add some additional detailing, weathering and maybe an onion-shaped stack.

Anyone else get this vibe? Or just me?

The On30 engines do indeed use the G gauge shell and mechanism as a a start. However, the prototype detailing, including valve gear, external piping, even the conduit running to the headlight, are much improved, and head and shoulders above the G scale model. At a street price of $200-$225, including DCC, there's no cheaper way to get into On30, and they run and pull very well. Bachmann is constantly expanding their line of On30 engines and rolling stock, sot it looks like Bachmann, at least, thinks On30 has a future.

If I ever have to switch scales, On30 will be my scale of choice. I can see a WVM 4-6-0 (#10) with some oxide red EBT style hoppers showing off their Western Maryland roots. On30 is a great scale. My friend Steve Sherrill has a great layout in the West Virginia panhandle which was featured in Great Model Railroads or Model Railroad Planning (I forget which) about 2-3 years ago. It's called the Shady Grove & Sherrill.

I'm mostly collecting, kitbashing and building structures for a possible On30 shelf layout. Here are photos of my large and small locos taken a while ago, the collection has grown a bit since then.
Great job on some of those!

I'm playing with the idea of picking up on some of this On30 scale, particularly since I picked up a beautiful K-27 loco at the last Balt show.

But I think I wouls stick with the 'logging theme' if I did so. Here is another nicely detailed T-boiler Shay from Bachmann.

Is it true that these locos have drive gear problems from the manufacturer??

K-27 MMI Mudhen

I'm playing with the idea of picking up on some of this On30 scale, particularly since I picked up a beautiful K-27 loco at the last Balt show.
I bought a BEAUTIFUL Mountain Model Imports brass and die-cast K-27, 2-8-2 loco, 'Mudhen' . Mine has a custom installed Tsunami sound & DCC system installed. This is a GREAT looking model I just couldn't pass up.

But I don't do On30 trains....yet. Either I'm going to sell this off,...or I will have to add to it. Mine is the D&RGW, but here are some of the manufacturers promotional photos. Check out the details:

I have a couple of On30 modules that I have mounted on the wall as a 'quick and dirty" shelf layout. Works for me. They are on my bedroom wall so .. anytime I feel like it .. I can do something. End of day .. added a little vegetation. That rock wall thing still bugs me. Gotta fix that .. meh .. maybe tomorrow .. tonight .. got a cold beer.

Image3-vi.jpg

Image4-vi.jpg

Image5-vi.jpg

It looks excellent, Ed.

I do have to agree, though; it looks like Salvador Dali had a hand in that masonry work. :D

Funny > Salvador Dali < .. I'm fixing that as I type (ok .. not AS I type but between typing). That was a 'quick and dirty' shmeer of plaster to give the road some support. I'm going back and making the walls vertical .. and cleaning them up/texturing the individual stone. Ha .. Salvador Dali :D .. should name the bridge that!

Last night, took a pic of the road .. and the stonework. Was unhappy like I said. Looked like .. as JazzDad said .. Salvador Dali had helped. Ha.

Image16-vi.jpg

So .. re-worked it today. Much happier.

Image17-vi.jpg

Back