On to Track Laying

Would you guys just glue track on to the support beams?
Hey Chris, I think your bridge is looking good, they are a challenge! What kind of track are you thinking of putting on the bridge? A section of the Walthers bridge track? Something else?
I also wanted the track to be, removable, so I used the Walthers bridge track, figuring that with that relatively short span of the bridge, the amount of ties holding the rail in place, and on tangent track, I just let the track float on the bridge, attached with the joiners only, (not soldered,) and a set of feeder wires. With your double track bridge piece, maybe a tiny dab of silicone in the center? I'm sure whatever you find will work for you.....

Single track...CV bridge
IMG_2147.JPG

As far as weathering goes, maybe check out an article by Tom Patterson, Kitbashing a Central Valley 150' Pratt Truss Bridge. It's in the MRHMagazine Nov. 2011 Issue 11-11. Being your bridge is grey, I wouldn't think that would make a big difference, don't know for sure...

Better Half and I have discussed moving to a warmer climate, not sure how serious we are yet, but it does make me hesitant to do anything like ballast until I know for sure either way…
Until, you know definately, I would wait, you can always paint the board for now, and ballast later, plus if you decide something doesn't work for you much easier to change it till your happy, then mark it all out, if you decide to move, easier to dismantle it, and rebuild in your new place and everything would be as it was.

I don't glue any track down, I use track screws or pins, holds everything down but simple to remove, something the US seems not to use, foam board and caulk are the favourite medium to build on from what I can see, where we just use timber board on a subframe.

I've also just realised, if you move to a warmer climate you could have expansion issues on the track if you ballast and glue it down now too.

Last edited:
Sorry guys, no close friends so I have to vent here…. I will make it short lol
Wifey is extremely upset with me because she let her son, 20 years old, no job, sits around all day playing video games and smoking dope, get a new iphone which she thought I would pay for. I refuse, wouldn’t do that for my own kids. She let me know what she thinks of me, told me to pack up and move out. Love the woman, this is going to be a tough one either way it goes….
Ok, that’s it, thanks All

Wifey is extremely upset with me because she let her son, 20 years old, no job, sits around all day playing video games and smoking dope, get a new iphone which she thought I would pay for. I refuse, wouldn’t do that for my own kids. She let me know what she thinks of me, told me to pack up and move out. Love the woman, this is going to be a tough one either way it goes….
Chris: You did not talk about the purchase at all? Boy, would not fly with me either. Well - hundred bucks or so, no big deal. Ya might talk with the boy and see if you can get him to work for it. Give him some responsibility and something to do. Having Wifey's son living there doing absolutely nothing while high would be ( and is ) a big issue with me. Ya gotta pay your freight.

Then there is the other side of the coin, could this just be the 'last straw' of a list or agenda of things not right in Wifey's mind? You might have to grovel for a bit to find stuff out and change direction to accomplish what is needed. This is true for BOTH sides of the agenda.

Talk talk and more talk is pretty much normal with the other sex. My wife and I have been together since 2000 and we still communicate on issues because of others. We drive together and normally do not even speak; other than - eweueee - that was kool, or 'did ya see that'? And of course - there is food over there!

Wow! well out of respect (as she's expecting you to pay for it) she should have at least asked you beforehand, as for going nuts at you, my short answer (and it was) would be "you sodding well pay for it then". Probably why she's now my "ex" wife. :)

Back