On to Track Laying

True, haha but my electrical work abilities aren’t the best, especially for tiny things like the leds for the crossing bucks. I usually just save up for whatever it is I need. Perhaps tho since the led crossing signals aren’t easy to find, it might be time to learn.
Depending on style you need, mate of mine used a two aspect ground signal, and a plastic straw with a alternating flash unit to make his.

1646406293346.png

Don't they call that scratch building ?
Sounds like you found yourself a market! 🤪

Really though, how much would it cost to make a decent set of LED crossings and how much are they worth on the market? If people can't find them on the open market, create one. I myself am not good at scratch building things, but would be able to wire up some LEDs without a problem.

Ok, 2 main lines are finished and applying track bed and wiring, here is hoping the slightly hotter solder iron and a few improvements to my tactics gets the job done lol Also adding some elevation changes as I go, nothing serious since I am modeling central Illinois, but hopefully a little added scenic value…

Been awhile since I built a model, and these instructions are kinda crappy, just gotta hope it ain’t a piece of doo-doo when I am done lol
I vaguely remember someone on the forum putting that one together and posting as he went, after a few days he was so disgusted that he scrapped it.

Hope I got the details mixed up - good luck anyway!

I think it turned out pretty good considering that twisted beam on the right side.
Just kidding, don’t panic looks great!
I have both the original and the modern version of that bridge, not sure how I’m going to modify the older one to clear intermodal traffic.

Once I set the bridges in place with a little glue, I just set the track on the bridge. I do need to figure out the same thing you're grappling with... how to set the track on a bridge. I don't want it anywhere near permanent, but something that would just hold it still. For now, though, everything seems to work just fine with the track just laying on the bridge, but secured on either end really well.

lol Every time I think I am happy with the track layout I see something I could do different, so I try it, yep, that’s the way to go, but what if I do this? lol I had better decide now, time just keeps on slipping by…
When it comes to actual track laying, we all make changes as we go, as we see things that although looked good in our heads or on paper don't look right when we actually lay it down on the table. One of the reasons, after two years, I still haven't done any ballasting.

Back