On to Track Laying

Been doing some yard work (not the kind my wife prefers I do), but gonna reconfigure a little before I post a couple pics so you guys can give me pointers what I may have done right or wrong…. Was working on easements as well, hoping I got it right, next will be figuring out the elevations in curves…

Has anyone ever used sub floor glue as a base for super elevation? Thinking of buying a cheap plastic spreader, cut the shape I want from it (ie slanted from 0 to 1/8” width of roadbed), spread where needed, place roadbed on top… Good or bad idea?

Probably a bad idea....and I'd bet you'd really regret this application once you decided you don't like the track plan there, or the whole thing at all, or you find that the super-elevation you generated doesn't work well, or that your trains derail along that curve because it's too high, or low, or just too wavy....and the glue is like concrete now.

Use small bits of package plastic, thin stuff about 1/32" thick, or one mm thick, or even strips of tape overlaid until you get the height you want. You only need to elevate the outer edge of the outer tie ends on the curve. Also, less is more. You want to be able to notice it, but not have it cause problems.

CC6CDC73-BD04-462D-97A6-992B4501E885.jpeg
296DC489-A06A-4E5B-BBE9-A7A0704E042E.jpeg
06F8E1EC-ED44-44CE-9237-D6ED6B741599.jpeg

That’s my start….

You are moving right along !

As for adhering track I would highly recommend this DAP chalk (I'll have to get the exact type). It was recommended to me by numerous fellows on that other forum, and it has worked fantastic. It gives you time to move thing around, then sets up overnight to a good bond. But with a good blade it can be lifted up for any track plan changes. You can also loosen up just a portion (edge) of the track to insert shims for elevation, etc.

Its cheap, and it does dry out in the tube for a long time.

Perhaps google track laying chalk.

Almost confusing, all these overlapping names and formulations of caulking/adhesive products.

I chose this one due to a number of recommendationson this forum,...
https://www.dap.com/products-projects/product-categories/caulks-sealants/latex/alex-plus/

It is working out fine so far for bonding the cork to the plywood. I hope it works out as good for bonding the track to the cork roadbed. So far my test say Okay

I like the non-messy way it goes on, and the easy clean up, and the easy repositioning during installation. But I don't care to much for the rather long 'curing time',...overnight with weights.

I don't know if you've decided on your roadbed material or not, but in case you're not aware, Homasote is once again an option. The supplier is cwhomaroad.com and he has a pretty complete line of roadbed products. If you have previously used roadbed from Cascade Rail Supply, he can use their dimensions when he cuts your order. There is nothing on the website to indicate this - you need to send Russell Chilton and email using the link on the website.

Man, my thumbs hurt just looking at all those push pins into plywood! You da Man!! And for a bit, there, I thought maybe you were color-coding for N and S rails for wiring purposes. "Red Right Returning" (nautical types will know!).

But I agree - - looking great and thanks for sharing!! - - - Steve J

I don't know if you've decided on your roadbed material or not, but in case you're not aware, Homasote is once again an option. The supplier is cwhomaroad.com and he has a pretty complete line of roadbed products. If you have previously used roadbed from Cascade Rail Supply, he can use their dimensions when he cuts your order. There is nothing on the website to indicate this - you need to send Russell Chilton and email using the link on the website.
I still have cork left over from last layout, was thinking of that to save a few dollars…. Originally wanted to use foam this time but after watching a few videos I think I like the cork better for durability…. I have no experience with Homasote, but from what I have seen looks like it can make an awful mess of dust, but if it’s worth the hassle for a great model it’s still an option…. Did reconfigure the yard a little, have to post a new pic cuz I have a couple questions…

Been looking into dimmable LEDs, not cheap. My attic has knob and tube right now, wanting to update a separate committed line of 12/2, got to update breaker box and service line for 200 amps first…. lol got a list of to dos

I still have cork left over from last layout, was thinking of that to save a few dollars…. Originally wanted to use foam this time but after watching a few videos I think I like the cork better for durability…. I have no experience with Homasote, but from what I have seen looks like it can make an awful mess of dust, but if it’s worth the hassle for a great model it’s still an option…. Did reconfigure the yard a little, have to post a new pic cuz I have a couple questions…
As an aficionado, of Homasote, I can enthusiastically attest to the longevity of Homasote. I built my layout in the early to mid 80s. The Homasote has really stood the test of time. Last year I removed my yard because I did a redesign. I was able to pull up the Homasote and will be able to reuse all of it. This is exactly why I always use track nails to hold the trackbed and track. Homasote does a phenomenal job of holding the nails. The hardest part, of the removal, was using a utility knife to slice along the painted edge of the Homasote. The unpainted parts of the Homasote are like new. I am so glad that there appears to be a new purveyor of Homasote, as I will need additional Homasote for my much larger yard. If you need, additional roadbed, consider Homasote. You will not be disappointed.

Cork and/or homesote,....why use either. Perhaps the only reason I can think of is for proper gravel roadbed look of prototype. Noise?...I wouldn't be concerned.

Adhering the track down to either cork or directly to plywood worked great with that DAP chalk.

I had my share of problems where I went from full height cork to half the height for the freight yard,...pain in the you know what !!

Would you guys start the track bed and wiring at a certain point, or lay the whole track before doing so? Was thinking of starting that process soon to test all those switches and make sure I am aligned good before proceeding with more track…

Back