Old time passenger/excursion cars

Tim

I've googled and found nothing, searched here and not found what I'm looking for. Anyone know of a source for old time passenger cars such as might be used as an excursion car? I've found 50' car sets by Athern, but I'm looking for open cars with seating. If it has a canopy, that's better, but I want something that a tourist railroad might run. Or has anyone kitbashed or scratchbuilt a flatcar and created such an animal? Any help will be greatly appreciated, as tourist traffic will be one source of income for my shortline.

Tim

In a few of the model Rr magazines I've seen where they have kitbashed passenger cars & made open sided tourist cars & also made them out of Gondola's, flat cars & etc.
I have some older passenger cars that I've thought about using them for the exact same thing. Smokey Mountain railroad in N.C. uses a caboose in their train for passengers. You don't need old passenger cars for that.
Just go on line & look at what all the tourist RR's use for their passengers.
You can buy all kinds of passenger seats & use them on a Gondola w/a door on the side on 1 end. The modeling is what you can Dream.

Larry

Just use the Bachmann cars.

BachmannExcursionCar.png

BachmannExcursionCar1.png

BachmannExcursionCar2.png

BachmannGE45Tonner6.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Brian, just HO scale, I'm afraid. Nice looking car too. A lot of excursion railroads use a combination of older passenger cars, flatcars or gondolas with homemade seats, and cabooses. Some railroads will build a simple frame sheet steel canopy over the open cars but some just add some railings to keep people from falling over the edge. I've seen just about every kind of car imaginable running on tourist railroads so just come up with something you think looks good for you.

The bachmann cars would be OK for a theme park, but for a true long distance tourist RR they wouldn't work. You need something w/sides to keep the people from falling out on those sharp curves & steep grades & long tunnels. Like Jim & I said before, Gondola's & Flat cars are the way to go & just add a sheetmetal roof. You can buy thin sheetmetal
(alum. or brass) at your local hardware or Home Depot. N scale would be hard to work w/thats why I have HO. My old shaky hands wouldn't tolerate N scale. LOL

Larry

Brian, just HO scale, I'm afraid. Nice looking car too. A lot of excursion railroads use a combination of older passenger cars, flatcars or gondolas with homemade seats, and cabooses. Some railroads will build a simple frame sheet steel canopy over the open cars but some just add some railings to keep people from falling over the edge. I've seen just about every kind of car imaginable running on tourist railroads so just come up with something you think looks good for you.

Just got word from my distributor that Bachmann is making the excursion cars in N scale to. If your interested EMail me at MGWSY@aol.com and I can get you agreat deal on them.

Back