Old new guy with too many questions and few answers. I'm Rob.

mcintire319

I just stumbled onto the LocoFi wireless controllers. They like they are very straightforward to install and operate. But there doesn't seem to be much information out there in cyberspace. Please share any links you may have on these controllers. What about wifi accessory controllers? I have lots of Lenz DCC control parts still in boxes but I am always looking for simpler ways of doing things. Any help YOU can provide will be greatly appreciated.

I just stumbled onto the LocoFi wireless controllers. They like they are very straightforward to install and operate. But there doesn't seem to be much information out there in cyberspace. Please share any links you may have on these controllers. What about wifi accessory controllers? I have lots of Lenz DCC control parts still in boxes but I am always looking for simpler ways of doing things. Any help YOU can provide will be greatly appreciated.
I know nothing about it other than what I just looked up on-line, which I assume is all that there is available and that you have found it already. Could be kind of OK if you enjoy using your phone as a throttle. I could see using it for a single train on a layout.

Personally I gave up on the one throttle per layout. To hard to control multiple running trains simultaneously when switching back and forth between the trains. Becomes more of a video game rather than running some trains. It is an accident waiting to happen. I assume that is why they added the pressure sensitive emergency stop feature - it will be needed. I require one throttle per train.

I could not tell if it requires an activated phone or if any old smart phone will work. If not that could be a good use for the discarded phones and solve the one throttle per train issue.

Many of the benefits they talk about are assuming dead rail, so to get those benefits you would have to get battery power onto the trains. They do not seem to have any products for that and apparently assume the user has found some other way to do this.

I don't understand how a wifi router can be an "optional" thing required to run. Is one going to mooch off the the Starbucks next door wifi?

I've never used accessory controllers as it seems like a total complication for something so simple as an accessory. I just don't understand the appeal, but they do not have one listed in their products - yet. I would think one could acomplish the same thing by just taking a mobile receiver and only use the outputs needed for the particular accessory.

P.S. Most of the "complications" of DCC are not "necessary", but for doing things above and beyond simply running a train.

Last edited:
We @LocoFi are writing to clarify some of the misconceptions and questions raised here.

LocoFi™ allows TRUE multiple train control with multiple engineers each with their own throttle. Each engineer is assigned one or more trains and switching between trains is as simple as a swipe of a finger. There is no punching train numbers needed to control trains. Just swipe back and forth between trains and easily control many trains with a single throttle! To complement, each engineer knows who's in control of which train!

Pressure sensitive emergency stop is added to prevent accidental press of the emergency button. It will not be activated unless you apply a certain force that can configured in settings. You can switch between trains, blow horns, ring bells, notch up/down the throttle without worry that if your finger will accidentally press the emergency stop button.

Smartphone as a throttle does NOT require a SIM card at all. Any smartphone/tablet running Android version 5.0 and higher or any Amazon Fire tablet can be used.

LocoFi™ is primarily aimed at modelers with DC only layouts (and not particularly deadrail) who want digital control of their trains with multiple locomotives on one block WITHOUT needing to change any wiring. All this with onboard sound.

For small layouts, a LocoFi™ module is good enough to act as an access point (aka router) to easily support up to 6-7 locomotives. You can do a little more with using your smartphone as a hotspot. Hence, the optional WiFi router. With a WiFi router, many more locos can be supported as well as a much farther range. A mesh network of routers theoretically extends the range infinitely. All this WITHOUT a need for internet connection.

We hope that helps clarify some of the doubts. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Sound's like a really good option for DC modellers to "upgrade" their RR, without the need of converting to DCC.
But you can't if your locos haven't DCC decoders in them !! So, if you add decoders (and speakers) and/or buy ones already fitted with them may as well get an NCE or Digitrax throttle.. Or, is there something I'm not getting about LocoFi ? You can't run analog DC locos as if they are DCC.

Last edited:
But you can't if your locos haven't DCC decoders in them !! So, if you add decoders (and speakers) and/or buy ones already fitted with them may as well get an NCE or Digitrax throttle.. Or, is there something I'm not getting about LocoFi ? You can't run analog DC locos as if they are DCC.
I'm only going on what LocoFi has put in the post, I didn't say I understood how it works, (I know the principles tho') but he does say it's "primarly aimed at modellers with DC only layouts" so...........

Just now went to YouTube: "What is LocoFi ?"
It is, in fact an RC system like model planes.. Only main diff is planes HAVE to have batteries to commune with joystick... LocoFi uses an i-phone as the throttle which wirelessly communes with the transceiver (or whatever it's called) which communes with locos...Locos can be battery powered, but usually are run with fixed analog DC current in the rails (which I'd think would need to come from like an MRC Tech II or IV or such, or an auto battery [which would need recharging]....
I have deduced that the biggest factor is cost, as an Iphone is $600-$1,200....Thus folks like me who still prefer a flip phone would need to buy an Iphone...leave alone the electronics to go inside each loco...the conversions and all...
I do like the idea.. But, at least, for me it's a no-go....
I am still procrastinating on the start of my eL-shelfie HO switching layout, and will stick with my NCE PowerCab when I do get off my arse........

Last edited:
OK. Some misconceptions and misunderstandings happening here. First off you don't need DCC for any type of functioning of LocoFi and you certainly don't need all that hardware DCC requires. It will control speed, direction, lights, sound and MUing is not just simple, it works. The app in your phone communicates directly to the LocoFi module installed in your loco. No signals going through your track. If your wheels can get over the clumps of dirt on your tracks there will be no negative effect to your locos performance, unless you derail. 🙃 It uses WiFi to send AND receive the commands. The cost of an iPhone 6S Plus can be had for well under $100 and no cell phone activation required (no plan). The LocoFi app on your phone is free. Ask your family and friends and you may get a phone for free. Just tell them they can use it when they come over. 😁

Last time I checked you can't run DCC without a decoder installed, same for LocoFi. You do have to install a LocoFi module, so what's the difference? You can use the money, not spent, on DCC hardware to buy 2-3 LocoFi modules, maybe more. As far as being only DC, that is not true. LocoFi doesn't care what other controller you might want to use. You can run LocoFi, DCC, BlueRail, RailPro, or anything else, all at the same time. Of course you are probably not going to have all those modules in a single loco, not enough space, or money available and I am sure you will loose your mind after a few minutes. However, there is nothing to stop you from installing a LocoFi module in a loco that has no decoder, or module from another supplier, taking out a module from another supplier and installing a LocoFi. You can do it however you want, as little as you want, or jump in with both feet. Glenn

OK. Some misconceptions and misunderstandings happening here. First off you don't need DCC for any type of functioning of LocoFi and you certainly don't need all that hardware DCC requires. It will control speed, direction, lights, sound and MUing is not just simple, it works. The app in your phone communicates directly to the LocoFi module installed in your loco. No signals going through your track. If your wheels can get over the clumps of dirt on your tracks there will be no negative effect to your locos performance, unless you derail. 🙃 It uses WiFi to send AND receive the commands. The cost of an iPhone 6S Plus can be had for well under $100 and no cell phone activation required (no plan). The LocoFi app on your phone is free. Ask your family and friends and you may get a phone for free. Just tell them they can use it when they come over. 😁

Last time I checked you can't run DCC without a decoder installed, same for LocoFi. You do have to install a LocoFi module, so what's the difference? You can use the money, not spent, on DCC hardware to buy 2-3 LocoFi modules, maybe more. As far as being only DC, that is not true. LocoFi doesn't care what other controller you might want to use. You can run LocoFi, DCC, BlueRail, RailPro, or anything else, all at the same time. Of course you are probably not going to have all those modules in a single loco, not enough space, or money available and I am sure you will loose your mind after a few minutes. However, there is nothing to stop you from installing a LocoFi module in a loco that has no decoder, or module from another supplier, taking out a module from another supplier and installing a LocoFi. You can do it however you want, as little as you want, or jump in with both feet. Glenn
That's more or less how I understood the original post, it's an "upgrade" of sorts, without the need for conversion to DCC, but with a lot of similar benefits. And there are a lot of DC modellers who would rather go this route than go DCC.

Thank you @glenng6 and @Smudge617 for chiming in.

We would like to add that the LocoFi™ controller app is currently available for Android and Fire devices only. In case someone doesn't have an Android or a Fire device or has only an iPhone, an Android device with decent hardware can be easily purchased for < $50. See for example, https://www.amazon.com/Tracfone-Alcatel-TCL-32GB-Black/dp/B09CLN4LLN. A controller app for iOS devices is under development.

As a reminder, you do not need a cell phone service. Hope that helps.

We would like to add that the LocoFi™ controller app is currently available for Android and Fire devices only. In case someone doesn't have an Android or a Fire device or has only an iPhone, an Android device with decent hardware can be easily purchased for < $50. See for example, https://www.amazon.com/Tracfone-Alcatel-TCL-32GB-Black/dp/B09CLN4LLN. A controller app for iOS devices is under development.

I'm already using DCC, so it's not for me, but there are DC modellers on this forum who could be enticed, I suppose it's down to the individual's personnel choice and what they feel comfortable using.

Controlling sound was mentioned. So they have sound files in the Locofi module? How many and what for do they offer.

Actually I run DCC and I’d consider going locofi for the wireless aspect and the fact that I’m just so tired of fighting with cv settings.
I also dislike my throttles, DT400 = mishmash of buttons and the newer ones don’t look much simpler.

Back