Old Guy, New Hobby

Ken, I would be happy to join one of your sessions. I am about 90 minutes away but please send me an invite. I will certainly come up if I can. That is a great looking layout and I will be reading all of the posts about the construction. By the way, changed my settings to at least give a more pronounceable name.

Sam
HA, HA, A model RR'er with a good sense of humor - I like that!

wELCOME here and hope to see you contribute to the Coffee Shop as well!
Willie accuses me of being around when 4-4-0 American's were king of the rails and Karl, says that I played board games with stone tablets!

I am in somewhat of a planning stage here. I like the idea of having "YOUR" own railroad. Add this little plan into your thinking - with some expansion it would be a great pike! I love bridges!
plan2 (Large).jpg

Hey Sam...

I was born in Wheeling W.Va. 82 years ago.

During the early 1940's War Years, my dad was a Fireman on Pennsy Steam locomotives.

On the main lines, he fired 2-8-2 Mikados and 2-8-0 Consolidations, hauling mile-long freights from Wheeling Steel to distant war plants.

When he had yard duty, he would take me to work with him (if it wasn't a school day), and I would climb up into the cab of a clanking, hissing 0-6-0 Switcher and spend the day with Dad and the Engineer, putting freight trains together for another mainline run.

That was some experience for a 6-to-8-year old boy, and I learned the function of every valve, lever, and gauge on the backhead of that Switcher!

Welcome aboard!

Hal (US Army, 1960-62)

Last edited:

Back