OK - my first shot!

PIN DR

Attached is a picture of the ROUGH drawing I have made of a preliminary layout design. I have noted where I would envision a mine, pit, town, mountains, and rail yard. I also noted which two sides of the layout will be up against a wall when in use. However, paying heed to the advice about distances, I would put wheels on the benchwork allowing me to roll it out to work on the scenery along the back and right sides. Once slid back along the wall for operation, I have tried to keep the track within 30 inches or so of reach distance. Total size of layout is 10 X 6.

So, this is a first shot at "something" at least conceptual. The idea would be a freight train on the inside track and passenger on the outside. Is this first shot even close?

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 163
Cool, at least somebody thinks I'm on the right track (so to speak)! I really like the idea about being able to turn around, but I'm not sure what configurations you are describing (ie where to route those spurs).

I'm starting to finally become less frustrated...thanks!

Jeff

That is so cool, thank you! I have changed the layout accordingly and now feel like I'm actually getting somewhere. I like that you understand my desire to have trains running more in long runs and that i want to focus on operations less. This is more of a moving model to me than it is a functional representation of an actual railroad.

Now its on to drawing up something to actual scale so I can identify track needs. I'm not good enough with any computer programs for that, so I'm going to have to get out the graph paper. Can you recommend what turnouts I should use for where all the tracks branch and intersect? I've read a lot about the different angles and sizes, but am not sure what is likely to work in an actual scenario.

Jeff

Jeff

Wow, I REALLY like the change you made to the mine spur and it just has a real nice flow now with the reversing lines on each side of the layout. Less crowded and I really like that. You have been an enormous help in this, I really appreciate your taking the time to help me.

Jeff

I'd say great minds think alike, except that would disqualify me from the discussion. LOL! I was starting to think about elevation changes too and where bridges and tunnels might go. Anything you can suggest is falling on very accepting ears. Also a plan done in Anyrail would be very cool and would help me avoid designing something that either 1) can't be built, or 2) can be built but won't work.

Jeff

Is this HO scale or N scale? If HO, you may find that less of this will fit when drawn to scale than you hope.

Also, if the long side is against the wall, much of the layout will be out of reach.

Best of luck.

Byron,

It is HO. As far as being able to reach things, I intend to put the benchwork on wheels so I can move it out to work on scenery. I tried to keep the trackwork within reach however. I've got my fingers crossed on things fitting. Hopefully, if those issues come up someone can help me resolve them. I would have loved to have utilized your services, but it's a bit out of my budget.

I do also have an alternative if this doesn't work out. I can build benchwork similar to that used for Byron's HO walk-in layout. It will take 8 feet by 8 feet to do it, but I think I can make that work. I do like the general track layout of the one we have been working on, though, so would probably still do something similar to that.

Jeff

I really can't comment until I see something to scale. I'm not sure how practical it is to put a roughly 6 x 10 layout on rollers or casters. I'm also not sure how the curves are going to come out when you draw them to scale. At this point, I would strongly suggest getting out some graph paper and a compass, or something like Atlas Right Track Software (free) to give yourself a better idea of what you can actually do in this space.

You're right, of course. I checked on the Atlas website and didn't see a place to download the software. Can you point me to somewhere I can get that? In the meantime, I am already working on graph paper.

Jeff

I just downloaded the trial version and it is pretty neat. I'm going to play with it over the next couple of days and see what I can do. The 8 X 8 corner benchwork with the center aisle that Byron has on his website looks more suitable as far as size at this point. Previous poster was right, I've got to think wheels on a 10 X 6 layout would be a problem. Can get much wider curves and still keep everything within arms reach with the corner design. Now just need to figure out how to incorporate the design Stoker was helping me with into that format. It's looking like both of his reversing tracks would fit best on one end in that scenario. Maybe use the other end for the staging yard. If you're still with me, Stoker, I'll post a picture of the corner benchwork with a starting layout and see what you think.

Jeff

... Anyrail is far and away the easiest to use. SCARM is better overall (and completely free) but it has a pretty steep learning curve.

I have taken to using Anyrail to work out individual segments of my plan, because of its greater ease of use, then when I hit the free limit, recreating the segment in SCARM as I finish off the whole plan.

From the DairyStatePhone

Here is the corner configuration. Maybe closer to what I can do?

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 150
This is a good opportunity to just play with lots of ideas before locking into one particular one. So give yourself that time and freedom for now.

From the DairyStatePhone

Yeah, feeling a bit discouraged now. If I can't do something I want then I may not do anything at all. I don't want to invest all the time, effort, money and space and end up with something that I am not happy with. Particularly when the result will take up a significant permanent space in my shop. I'm going to go to Trainfest this Sunday and look around and then step back and just play with some ideas. Maybe I'll just have to realize that I don't have the space to do what I would like.

Jeff

As far as being able to reach things, I intend to put the benchwork on wheels so I can move it out to work on scenery. .

What happened to this idea? I built a massive workbench on wheels to roll around in my garage, pushed it up against the wall when I wasn't using it. Worked great. I used it for ripping lumber and working on projects. Weighed more than anything with trains for sure. Mounted pretty heavy duty wheels under it with the brakes.

Putting the track very near one edge is workable as well. I had my track right up against one edge, a long straight section, and it was fine. Never even had a train fall off.

You have to sift through the advice, and don't let your individual creativity be stifled.

You are doing great!!!!! lasm

Jeff --

One of the things I waited way, way too long to realize was that it is possible to start small and then grow what you started. It is also possible to build something small knowing you'll tear it down and do it better later.

I think you are on a good track for a workable layout. I also think you could step back from that and do something simpler and smaller to start with. Perhaps it would be a shelf layout that would expand into the larger concept you have in mind. Perhaps it's simply a small oval that might, or might not, become part of the something bigger you'd like.

Have fun at Trainfest. I'd say I'll see you there, except I'll be going Saturday. I hope you get lots of good ideas and inspiration there.

Cheers,

Erik

The challenge many have discovered with placing large tables on wheels is that the "tug" needed to overcome inertia and get the table rolling is more than enough force to derail many cars each time the layout is moved. YMMV

Back