Ok I'll do it, Weekend photo fun!!

NZRMac

In Training Down Under.
Really crap photo's to start off the fun.

Local steam society turning the 2-8-8-2 ready for an excursion trip.
P1020354.JPG

SP loco in for service.
P1020355.JPG

Cat dealer fueling the loco for another delivery.
P1020356.JPG

Overview so far, partly Carey's plan and partly kind of like my prototype.
P1020357.JPG

Obviously lots of work to do detail etc. Just use your imagination!! LOL

Backdrop will cover the windows.

The far end of the layout will be a freight terminal (not sure what you call them) where trucks bring containers.
then make up and break down trains in the foreground yards.

Ken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken, Lookin good!! I like the way you fit the turntable into the plan. I love having them in the layout, but when working with narrow "shelve" type plans, they can be a bugger to fit. You have done it nicely. Great progress.

Johnny

NZRMac said:
The far end of the layout will be a freight terminal (not sure what you call them) where trucks bring containers.
then make up and break down trains in the foreground yards.

Ken.
Team track(s), Transload station, Freight terminal, Freight yard, Freight depot, Intermodal, I dunno, to many names and I'm sure there's more!

Anyways, LOVE the pictures, especially the Overview, get a good perspective of where its all at. Can't wait to see more!

It's coming along nice ken, quicker than mine anyhow.

We went to the lake district today to ride on the Lakeside and Haverthwaite line to lake windermere, it's only around five mile long but it's got some fair grades due to the hilly terrain, once at Lakeside you can go on a boat cruise or visit the large aquiruim, due to the heat i chose the fishy option and it was great, there's allsorts of fish, small mammals and other sea life, we got to stroke a 20lb Cod that was very friendly, the kids loved that then it was home in time to catch another shot of a 4-6-2 locomotive returning from a fan trip with the owners support coach in tow.

below is a general view of Haverthwaite station with the coaling stage to the right
154973663.gif

and here is an old model in OO scale of the station as it was in the 1950's
154973038.gif

below is one of there engines, an 0-6-0 saddle tank of the Austerity class
154973011.gif

and seen again further up the line returning from Lakeside
154973029.gif

if you like bridges this is a great one, it's all wrought iron and dates back over 100 years
154973021.gif

this is one of Lake windermere's tourist cruisers, this is Tern
154973000.gif

and back at home is an EMD 66 with some gon's full of ballast
154973638.gif

and behind that is the auto ballaster train again hauled by EMD power
154979222.gif

below, and just as the sun was getting low came 6201 "Princess Elizabeth" ploding along at 60ish mph
Check out Don Burgess's video of her cresting the summit of Shap at speed fully loaded Turn up the volume
http://www.burgess57.freeserve.co.uk/1Z34.WMV
154973651.gif

I don't know how i'll cope having to wait six days before there's another steam fan trip going through

That first picture confusued me at first, I though it was a VERY good Diorama! Then I realized the text was ABOVE the pictures!

NZKen: Glad to see your doing some fun stuff on the layout. I like the engine service area's arrangement. (When I first signed on, this page had a "Find jobs in NZ" add.;))

Steve: Thanks for the photos. You have a very interesting country and perhaps someday I can visit it. I don't care much about seeing London Town, but would love to venture into the rest of the country. (Maybe on my way to New Zealand...I wish:D.)

Brakie: Thanks for sharing. Your project is what I need to get busy doing.;)

RexHea said:
NZKen: Glad to see your doing some fun stuff on the layout. I like the engine service area's arrangement. (When I first signed on, this page had a "Find jobs in NZ" add.;))
Funny, cause the forums are supposed to do this, but All I ever seem to get are photo ads, and DSL ads...

Thankyou everybody, I've had the track sitting in various arrangements for weeks looking for the best way to do it, still not happy the loco service building needs to be twice as long, I might bash two kits together.

Any reason I could use my roundhouse else where on the layout without a turntable? Just an atlas three bay. I thought I'd donate to the Steam society for the 2-8-8-2 and the Class J:D :D

The righthand track on the fuel bay doubles as the rear yard track, I think that will be ok.:confused:

Great pics Steve don't see many steamers here any more.:mad:

Nice project Brakie

ken.

Ahhhh! The Weekend again. Nice photos everyone. I haven't had much time this week to get anything done but will share the little progress that has been made over the last 2 weeks.

The Staging area is finally done. I had a problem with one curved #7 turnout. I had planned that my passenger cars (Heavyweights) would travel on the outside loop and would not be able to use the inside loop easily. Well for some reason (even though I have done the modifications needed to get it to work with a 22" radius curve due to having them in the old part of the layout) they will bind as they go from the 28" radius of the mainline through the 22" radius of the turnout. Soooooo, I had to use the inside track for the passenger cars meaning I had to modify quite a few things including adding a strip along one side to make the table wide enough to get 3 tracks in.

Staging1a.jpg

Staging2a.jpg

I also have started work on the gorge/ravine area that will need three bridges to complete the tracks. I got several broken ceiling tiles at a local lumber yard for 1/2 price so I am trying that method of making rock face. Hopefully it will end up looking a little like the gorge in Watkins Glen, NY directly South of where I live.

Gorge1a.jpg

Gorge2a.jpg

Gorge3a.jpg

Might as well join the fun for once.

gilbert2.jpg

Car is antique TYCO PS2 and loco is Bachmann 70 tonner.Diorama is actually for my 0n30 stuff and the clouds are my second ever try at painting them.

Ole Number 10....

Here's a shot of ole # 10, with caboose in tow. This Bachman Spectrum 4-6-0 is sound decoder equipped, and although she is competing against 4 BLI lokeys, she is still the show stopper on this layout !

Bob

It's premature to post these shots now, but what the heck. I just put these backgrounds up and really haven't done much around them except move and look...move and look. Although you can't see it in these photos, I have to blend in the sky from poster to poster. Please see my post at "Benchwork and Scenery" thread.

The new extension is getting populated.
agn.sized.jpg

Eat your heart out Ken Lawson:rolleyes: . (I know. I cheated. LOL:D :D)
ago.sized.jpg

Jbaakko convinced me to psot some recent panoramic shots of my MRR, so here they are...a little overexposed, I thought that adding ten seconds to the exposure would compensate for all the lighting not being on the subject. :p
38f7ec1d.png

4bc85466.png

c2ef664f.png

4735f700.png

6fd55682.png

MRRpan7.png

MRRpan8.png

From top to bottom: Redrock Canyon Curve (There are tracks down in the canyon too!) my favorite photo location, and on the right the Virginia enginehouse. (On the half of the layout that came from plan #48 in 101 Track Plans for Model Railroaders
2: Virginia townsite (Under reconstruction) includes a passing siding, one car storage track and a really awesome coal mine my dad built.
3: Hicksville and the yard at East Cornerville. Another good photo location.
4: The yard at East Cornerville
5: Cornerville with East Cornerville yard underneath
6 & 7: East Cornerville engine terminal and the door...
The amount of stretch at the bottom between pics 3 and 6 is a lot, there's only about 2 feet of mainline under the bottom of the frame!

Hi all. I'm just now getting around to posting this weekend. LGM and I rode mountain bikes and went to the LHS yesterday. Today, we worked for HOURS on the RR. I got some lighting done on our mine scene, but haven't gotten the pic we're after yet. We added partitions inside to light certain rooms. Here's one pic we did shoot at the last minute before we came upstairs.

155448203.gif

Well, like I said: "It is premature to post these photos." It is impossible for me to blend in the skies of all 8 of my backgrounds. I tried! Gads, what a mess now:eek: :( ! So I start all over. For an explanation and description, go to the 'Benchwork and Scenery' thread.

RexHea said:
Well, like I said: "It is premature to post these photos." It is impossible for me to blend in the skies of all 8 of my backgrounds. I tried! Gads, what a mess now:eek: :( ! So I start all over. For an explanation and description, go to the 'Benchwork and Scenery' thread.

Hum, never thought about the sky colors not matching. That's a problem alright. I hate that you have the frustration of starting over. My guess is the pics will be worth the wait once you get things sorted out. :) The backdrop buildings you posted look great, the potential is there, that's for sure.

BTW, fantastic pics everyone!

Back