Oh Boy! I've really done it now!

I am so glad that one of you guys passed the following advise along on another thread. That advise was "hey, it's your world, do what you want". My plans for a layout have always been a late fall early winter scene located in the north woods of Minnesota/ Wisconsin from the mid 40's to the mid to late 50's. That's why I've been asking all the questions about the F series engines. Keeping that in mind, I probably shouldn't have bought the three engines that I now possess. All of them are steamers. I suppose if I don't post any pictures or videos of it, I should be OK and should be spared of the certain scoffing and ridicule I would get. From what I've researched, my Prairie 2-6-2 might have come close to running in these two states and the Berkshire 2-8-4 did run in Michigan. What the heck, that's only one state away. The one that's really going to get me trouble with you guys I'm sure is the Norfolk and Western class J that I got off of eBay tonight. Virginia is a long way from Wisconsin and Minnesota. OOPS! But that sucker is such a cool engine I just had to have it. Maybe when I get the layout up and running, I'll keep it in the box and only take it out and run it.........(in the dark of night and when nobody is looking)...hehe.
Later
Mike

Mike, who's to say that J class isn't on a business excursion being loaned to your home rail road?? See, there's always an answer for everything in the land of make believe!!! ;)

Mike, who's to say that J class isn't on a business excursion being loaned to your home rail road?? See, there's always an answer for everything in the land of make believe!!! ;)

This is true, I have MeXican Units on my ATSF trains,When we all know This never happend.

Now as long as you dont run them with amtrak superliners you iwll be fine.

Paint that 2-6-2 into Milwaukee colors and no one could call you wrong on that. Those were two states the Milwaukee ran many a Prairie.

A good friend of mine has a layout based on the Glenwood Canyon and though you will see the occasional Rio Grande or UP train which would be correct depending on the year, you will also see just about everything else including CP rail. His theory was always if he liked a loco or piece of rolling stock it would end up on his railroad no matter the road name or era. He never cared what anyone else thought. My theory has always been there is no wrong way to do it as long as your enjoying it. If you want to run a steamer on one train and a SD90 on another, more power to you. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself, because after all that's what it's all about.

A good friend of mine has a layout based on the Glenwood Canyon and though you will see the occasional Rio Grande or UP train which would be correct depending on the year, you will also see just about everything else including CP rail. His theory was always if he liked a loco or piece of rolling stock it would end up on his railroad no matter the road name or era. He never cared what anyone else thought. My theory has always been there is no wrong way to do it as long as your enjoying it. If you want to run a steamer on one train and a SD90 on another, more power to you. The most important thing is to enjoy yourself, because after all that's what it's all about.

Never a more truer word said. I have heard this discussion being talked about at exhibitions, with some pointing out that "X" loco never ran with "Y" box cars on "Z" line. One thing I've learnt is as long as you enjoyment out of the hobby, that's what counts.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's why I just model the second half of the twentieth century, give or take 20 years. Oh and there is a rail museum that has track rights to my area. There, now I can run most anything!

Put up a sign by your control panel saying, "Nit pickers go home!".

As a joke, we added some SMURF figures to a CONRAIL fan's layout. On our next visit, he proudly pointed out "SMURFTON" populated by about 75 SMURKS figures. I have seen a Garden railway populted with Disney characters.
Your railroad!

As a joke, we added some SMURF figures to a CONRAIL fan's layout. On our next visit, he proudly pointed out "SMURFTON" with about 75 SMURKS figures. I have seen a Garden railway populated with Disney characters.
Your railroad!

Last edited by a moderator:

As a joke, we added some SMURF figures to a CONRAIL fan's layout. On our next visit, he proudly pointed out "SMURFTON" populated by about 75 SMURKS figures. I have seen a Garden railway populted with Disney characters.
Your railroad!

As a joke, we added some SMURF figures to a CONRAIL fan's layout. On our next visit, he proudly pointed out "SMURFTON" with about 75 SMURKS figures. I have seen a Garden railway populated with Disney characters.
Your railroad!
Is that "populated" or "polluted"?:D
As for what is running on your home layout, I promise I won't tell anyone about your J if you don't tell anybody about my BHP Australia locomotive on mine...;)

Yeah I'll have a Thomas on mine too. I am modeling the Pioneer Valley RR in Westfield, loosely. For instance there's no coal dock on the real thing but I need a reason to run my coal hoppers so there it will be. My railroad, my rules.

Back