Nubie question

ndazzle

I am new to the forum. I am working on my 1st layout, its small 4x6 but its going to have allot going on. Anyway part of the layout requires a line to be elevated, and I am building a trestle system out of wooden girders. I need to know how you can paint cork a concreate color, and I tried it with WS paint but it seemed to soak in, or should I put many more coats on. Also with painting the rails, you would paint the ties also right? Since they get break dust all over also.

I'm guessing here, but I bet acrylic hobby paints would work on cork. I've used craft paints successfully on wood, plastic and ceramic materials. The ones I've used can be thinned with water and/or mixed to create special colors, and you can clean brushes and containers (and hands, skin, and clothing if necessary ;) with soap and water.

I'm using the acrylics on wood, and will spray them with a clear polyurethane sealer because the buildings I'm making will be outdoors.

I'm not sure about painting rails and ties. Mine stay outside, so they weather on their own.

Hi ndazzle and welcome. If the paint is being absorbed by the cork, you could put a coat of shellac or varnish as a sealer, then use the paint of your choice. I would think the acrylic craft paints would seal and color the cork for you and most likely a color close to a concrete color should be available. Just an idea, some one else may have a better one :D

13.gif
Willis

I painted mine with artist acrylics.

layout02.gif

All the center tracks are either black or silver EZ track.

The two outside loops in the foreground are flex track and cork painted grey with artist acrylics. I think it took two coats.

Well there you go ndazzle, with a photo and all, hard to beat that.
Hi Chip, the layout looks good, I use the acrylic craft paints also, to me they're pretty hard to beat and even with two coats are much cheaper than any kind of sealer. Keep us posted as you go along that looks kind of interesting. I'm also wondering what the dimensions of your layout are?
13.gif
Willis

Ok cool, the acrylic sounds like it should work on the cork, thanks. Oh and that layout looks a little like mine but mine is not as along. Could you tell me how to post a photo? Thanks. :)

CBCNSfan said:
Well there you go ndazzle, with a photo and all, hard to beat that.
Hi Chip, the layout looks good, I use the acrylic craft paints also, to me they're pretty hard to beat and even with two coats are much cheaper than any kind of sealer. Keep us posted as you go along that looks kind of interesting. I'm also wondering what the dimensions of your layout are?
13.gif
Willis

It's 4.5 by 8. That picture is old.

here's a link to pictures of where it is now. http://www.trains.com/community/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45868

Hi Chip, seems like a fun layout, old west with some strange hobo's riding your trains. Ah! well that's what it's all about :D My first was a 5 X 9 ft.

13.gif
Willis

Actually, I found something that will work great. I bought some Tamyia acrylic red-brown paint, and I tried it on a scrap piece of track, it looks just as good, really flat too. Only thing is there bottles are small, and I may need several to do the layout.

Here are the pictures. Since this is a fictional layout. I am calling it a Intermodal Priority transfer yard if there is such a thing. :D

I don't get it! Why are you painting the cork roadbed? Won't it be covered up by ballast? I just don't see the benefit and I've laid 1000s of feet of cork roadbed and track.

Just curious. Jay.

modelmaker said:
I don't get it! Why are you painting the cork roadbed? Won't it be covered up by ballast? I just don't see the benefit and I've laid 1000s of feet of cork roadbed and track.

Just curious. Jay.

I was wondering the same thing but then I realized that it's his layout and he has "Artistic License".
Also, his skill level may be a factor in his choosing to paint the cork roadbed.

That's my take on it anyways....... :D

Lookin good!

ndazzle said:
Here are the pictures.

Hey nDazzle,
Everything looks good.
I was wondering what material you have used as a tabletop for your layout?
In the second pic, it looks like you have a layer of fiberboard and then a second layer of some sort of insulation board.
What's the scoop?? :confused:

Let me explain. I though about painting the cork a cement color just for the trestle and bridges I was going to do that so it would be easier to mount the track and not use ballast on them. But not sure if I am still going to do that. As for the layers. This whole thing started out just as a work table for my rc cars, then I got the idea for the train layout so I just added on to it with the fiberboard. They were not even so I had some drywall sheets to smooth it out. The blue insolation board was perfect because it gave me a chance to mount everything and if I needed changes I could just take the nails out or push them in. Yeah I am nubie. Making changes along the way but it will be all good when its done. :cool:

Hi all, its been a while but here are some updated photos. I added and removed a few things and its coming out nice. I decided to go with a cement plant theme for the main operations with a Walthers background kit added later.

Back