Nscale help

Sean p

Hi everybody I'm new here I just started an N scale Kato train layout it's 4 by 9 it's based on the Salt Lake City route so my issue is I had just recently purchased a DCC nce power cab starter kit I hooked it up to my bus line my bus line is hooked to terminal block and all my feeders are hooked to the terminal my block and nothing works so right now all I can do is use one main line can anyone give me any suggestions please do I need more power am I doing something wrong thank you guys

If you have any turnouts with diverting routes, the diverting route must have feeders attached to power the rails beyond the turnout. An except would be if the turnout is power routing.

A drawing of your layout would be helpful as well.

Greg

Welcome to the group Sean,

As Greg mentioned, your turnouts not being fed or power routing is probably your issue. Kato turnouts are not owe routing out os the chute. If you look on the back of the package it tells you how to make them routing. You swap some small screws in the back of the turnouts. You can also add feeders as Greg alluded to. I’m in Ho scale now, but started in N Scale. The Salt Lake route was my first layout ( I moxies it’s a bit) but a solid first layout.

I just started an N scale Kato train layout it's 4 by 9 ... my issue is I had just recently purchased a DCC nce power cab starter kit I hooked it up to my bus line my bus line is hooked to terminal block and all my feeders are hooked to the terminal my block and nothing works so right now all I can do is use one main line can anyone give me any suggestions please do I need more power am I doing something wrong thank you guys
First, for a 4x9 layout you do not need more power. I question if you need a bus. My office's 12x12 has no bus just 5 sets of feeders to the track.

It cannot be a short circuit or the main line would not work.

Usually it is good to hook up a single set of feeders at a time. Make certain it works correctly. Then connect the next set of feeders and test them. Don't know if it would help to back out to that point and try again since at least one main is working. It almost sounds like the terminal block is not passing power to the feeders connected to it. Can you test directly at the block ignoring the wires.

Is this the track plan you're talking about
1582622181558.png

Try putting a loco or test light on the dead track then jump the like rails with a wire.
I have a set of test wires with alligator clips and an led, it makes troubleshooting a breeze.
You’re getting some good advice above!

Back