Now this was cool!!!

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Recently LGM and I had a chance to look around an SD40T-2. It was in SP paint but had the merger DRGW stenciled on the cab. Only the D and W were still visable. Some research has shown this to be an ex Rio Grande unit! It came new in Grande livery! What a cool experience. I just had to share it with some "train folks" (nobody else cares).

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, what fun. I'm green with envy! I've yet to see a tunnel motor in real life. Guess I just don't hang out in the right places. :)

grande man said:
Recently LGM and I had a chance to look around an SD40T-2. We even got a look inside the cab. It was in SP paint but had the merger DRGW stenciled on the cab. Only the D and W were still visable. Some research has shown this to be an ex Rio Grande unit! It came new in Grande livery! What a cool experience. I just had to share it with some "train folks" (nobody else cares).

I hope you remembered to take your shoes off before stepping onto that "holy ground" :p :D

I had that same ecstatic sensation when [at age 17] I got to ride in the cab of a B&O [ex-C&O] GP9 doing helper service. I grew up with those C&O geeps during my earlier childhood in Michigan, hadn't seen any for several years until this time.

That was a thrill and I bet LGM was all eyes. I remember when I was about 10-11 years old and living in a small town in Western Kentucky. Every now an then, the train crew would let my friend and I ride in the engine or caboose to the coal mines. Wow! Of course, at that time I didn't know one train from the other...only that I loved them.:)

RexHea said:
That was a thrill and I bet LGM was all eyes. I remember when I was about 10-11 years old and living in a small town in Western Kentucky. Every now an then, the train crew would let my friend and I ride in the engine or caboose to the coal mines. Wow! Of course, at that time I didn't know one train from the other...only that I loved them.:)

LGM enjoyed it. This was a special loco because of it's history.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, I envy you guys! :D

As a diehard SP fan, I enjoy seeing SP units go through here. The problem is, "here" is eastern Pennsylvania, and SP units are scarce. The only ones I got were two SD40M-2's, an AC4400, and Tunnelmotor, and a GP60 (SSW) (Which may seem like a like but I railfan every other week and have seen a combined total of about 70 BNSF Dash 9's and UP SD70M's so far this year, as a comparison) . Attached is a pic of the Tunnelmotor, which went through 3 months ago (My most recent SP sighting)

LGM and I went by Boyles at lunch today, and low and behold, there was the SD40T-2 again. It was in the same consist, interchanging with the CSX. Neat stuff. :)

grande man said:
LGM and I went by Boyles at lunch today, and low and behold, there was the SD40T-2 again. It was in the same consist, interchanging with the CSX. Neat stuff. :)

and where was your camera!? ;)
Ya never have one with you when you really want one, I know.... been there many times.. :)

Back