Now that Floquil is gone ...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
Now that Floquil Acrylic Paints are gone, what do you guys use instead?

Basically I am looking for a very good sprayable acrylic paint. More often than not I have used Model Master or Testors; however getting the colors I want is proving to be a chore and you can't buy direct from Testors.

Hi Tony -

I'm not terribly experienced with spray painting, but I've been doing pretty well with Vallejo Model Air Acrylic and MicroLux Acrylic Airbrush paints. Both seem to work with my ancient Badger 150 airbrush.

- Jeff

Chet seems fairly impressed with Tru Color. He said that it sprayed very nice right out of the bottle.
You might ask him?

Hi Tony -

I'm not terribly experienced with spray painting, but I've been doing pretty well with Vallejo Model Air Acrylic and MicroLux Acrylic Airbrush paints. Both seem to work with my ancient Badger 150 airbrush.

- Jeff

Jeff, thanks appreciate it.

Chet seems fairly impressed with Tru Color. He said that it sprayed very nice right out of the bottle.
You might ask him?

Tru Color YES, that's the brand I have been trying to remember. I used them and they were good. Cheers,

Although I still have lots of Floquil paint , I do try to use what my mentor uses seeing as he does not have floquils any longer. For priming all castings I will use krylon Camouflage Paint Kaki colour only because krylon Camouflage Paint sand 4295 is not so easily available up here in Canada but I know it is available in the U.S.. These colours are the closest match to Floquil Earth. For painting I will use the cheap craft paint and tint as needed and painted on in a washed layer giving that airbrushed finish.

Vallejo Air sprays very nice and cleans up easily. Probably my #1 choice, except for the lack of "rr colors", at least identified as such. Badger ModelFlex is right up there with it, IMO. Sprays nice, doesn't clog the airbrush, cleans out of the airbrush nicely.

I also have been useing Vallejo ModelAir for about 5 years. They don’t have dedicated RR colours but I do love the way they spray and clean-up.

Tony - I was a die hard Floquil fan for years. I did a lot of custom painting not only for my own railroad equipment, but I also did custom painting for others. Floquil had an excellent selection of railroad colors. I recently got a bug up my a** and wanted to try to build a Northern Pacific North Coast Limited and had no idea of what paint to use. I already had painted everything that I need to paint and didn't even use an air brush for almost 20 years.

I ended up using Tru-Color paint. I went on their web site and there were so many colors I missed the NP light and dark green. I sent them a email and got a very fast response from them saying that they did have the colors I needed. I figures I would give them a try. Excellent results. It is a solvent based paint, but it is ready for the air brush right out of the bottle. No thinning needed as with floquil.

Here are a few photos of the results. I already had an Atharn Genisis F-7 A that was a perfect match and then came up with a Stewart F-3 A, but the colors were not a good match at all plus it didn't even have any road numbers. Then I got a hold of an F-9 B unit, also from Stewart and again not the right colors. After adding some details and decals, the colors matched almost perfectly with not only the Athearn unit, but also the Walthers Norhtern Pacific passenger cars.

20171027_145038.jpg

The repainted and detailed Stewart unit is on the left and the Athearn unit is on the right.

The next photo is the A-B-A consist with the Athearn unit on the left and the two Stewart units to the right.

20171118_140633.jpg

Not only is the color match excellent, but clean up is quick and easy. I would recommend Tru-Color to anyone.

Deane,

Thanks, think that is what I am going to go to. Bought a bunch of Tru Color (which I like) but the "boss" can't tolerate the odor of it, most likely due it being a solvent based paint.

Chet,

Me too as I didn't think it smelt that strong either. Like you said, Tru Color is excellent paint and I like it a lot. I don't know, maybe it was something else I used around the same time, the Model Master Primer or something.

All I know is that when I was using the model master acrylics she didn't smell anything. All of a sudden I am using Tru Color and am getting complaints about the smell - beats me mate.

I'm now using both Model Master Acrylic and Modelflex. Model Master needs a little thinning for spraying but does a good job. Modelflex dries very quickly but if you don't add Badger Extender it can dry in the nozzle of the airbrush if your not careful.

Both clean up very well and easily with any of the following; water, alcohol or Testors Thinner/Cleaner. Apparently windscreen washer fluid does a good job as well but haven't tried it yet.

I've been shooting Model Master Acrylic and seems to do the trick. Cleans up with windex and water very easily. I'm still looking for some passenger cars to do an N scale Polar Express......I have the paint, just need the canvas.

I've had an airbrush for quite a while now and not used it. Always plan to, but it so far has never happened.

I did pick up some Badger Modelflex recently with the intention of painting a few engines. Thanks for the tip on the extender. I'm not sure acrylic should be used on engines though.

Back