Not really model

MikeGTW

Signalman, ESQ
So this side seems to be ok
Humanlift.jpg

That Crane reminds me of “Big Blue” the Crane that collapsed in 1990 ish at miller park. Not to bring up a terrible accident or anything...:rolleyes:

Or the one that dropped the conveyor across the triple main in the Powder River basin in 2008. A couple years ago, it worked for a few months in Hillsboro, OR at the new Intel fab. It is big but not as big as their red and white Transi-Lift with its 3000 ton capacity.

Mike, are you referring to the car, truck, or the rail ?? ! Either way, be careful lowering it down. You could get a hernia...:D

Just lower it real slow That's Greg in the pict he was a weight lifter wanna be body builder he snuck in the weight room at ND Univ for 6 months before they figured out he didn't go to the school LOL He could bench 300 I all ways made him mad thou I never went to a gym he tried to get me to go I'm like what for I all ready could do 350 easy

JEEEEZ!!!! Look at the amount of counterweight on the back of the crane!

Bob - I really like that crane. Looking at the photo - I don't see an operator's cab. Would it be R/C controlled? Do you know who manufactured it?

The counterweights are filled with dirt. The weight of the lift was 1,400,000 pounds. This is one half of an electrostatic precipatator which is used to remove fly ash after the coal is burned. The other half is still sitting on the steel framework where the two halves were built. After this piece was set in place the other half was set in place and the two halves were welded together. The other half is visible below the lower right corner of the first half of the precip in the second picture as it is lifted to be set in place. The large diameter tank seen in the lower foreground with the scaffold inside is an ash hopper that is being rebuilt.

The crane is not radio controlled. The operators cabs are visible in some of the photos, they are located between the crawlers and are extremely high tech, with computers giving readouts for the load, boom angle, wind speed and direction and other important info. The crane doesn't revolve like smaller cranes, but instead is set up on steel pads that are connected on ground that has been carefully leveled and the sections are laid out to allow the boom to rotate by one section traveling at a 90 degree angle to the other section. This is all planned out ahead of time and meetings are held for everyone involved so they know exactly what their roles are. The amount of planning that goes into this is almost unbelievable.

I worked on this job for almost seven months, but for a different contractor, doing work on two of the four boilers and condensers. My job was mostly inside and apart from the pollution control upgrades that this involved.

Here are some links to it with info about the powerplant and about the crane and project:

https://www.pjstar.com/photogallery/IP/20160222/PHOTOGALLERY/222009997/PH/1

https://stlouisdrones.net/2016/03/26/160/

https://www.mccarthy.com/projects/nrg-energy-powerton-units

These are all excellent sites! I bookmarked all of them. The video is fantastic and really like the insider's perspective. I've been to many construction sites and manufacturing plants. All of this stuff is amazing to me. Thanks for all the links and info, Bob.

Back