Woodlawn Industrial Park (was Northeastern HO scale switching layout)

9902.gif

Just found this very interesting thread. I'll follow it with a great interest.
Just for the fun: ALL my locos switch everywhere. I'm allowed to do that because I'm French.
9903.gif

View attachment 130079
Just found this very interesting thread. I'll follow it with a great interest.
Just for the fun: ALL my locos switch everywhere. I'm allowed to do that because I'm French.
View attachment 130080

Glad you like my layout! I have visited France for work several times in the 1990s. I used to work at an office near Nice. I enjoyed riding trains in France a lot. My favorite trip was on the TGV from Nice to Paris - so much fun!

Tried out the plastic pellet transfer facility in the intended spot on the layout - with a suitable hopper car in front of it. I am really pleased with the way this has turned out. I learned about this kit when I was watching a YouTube video by Stephen Bennett on his channel. He did warn that this was a fiddly kit but it was definitely worth the effort.

IMG_4298.jpeg

This is a small thing but having the right tools really makes modeling more fun. I just got this right angle iron from MicroMark and have already put it to good use. I have never had a steady hand when it comes to fine modeling so I need all the help I can get :)

IMG_4301.jpeg

File this under "live and learn" :) I am fixing a couple of mistakes:

1. I bought 0.060" (1.5mm ) thick sheet styrene for the paved areas. It was much too thick and hard to cut. I have now ordered 0.030" sheet styrene for the paved areas. I will use that on the other side of the layout.

2. I painted the parking area around the big warehouse black and it just did not look right. So I walked around my neighborhood to see what color asphalt actually is and realized it needs to be light grey. So I bought a can of grey latex paint and it looks so much better now!

IMG_4329.jpeg

OK, but the street in front of the house just had a slurry seal put on it today and it is midnight black!

OK, but the street in front of the house just had a slurry seal put on it today and it is midnight black!

I have seen that too but the color seems to fade in a few months to various shades of grey. Especially in industrial areas, the asphalt looks pretty bleached. I wonder if this because the gravel in the asphalt gets polished by the tires of vehicles

And now a silly question ( I'm allowed to ask it because I'm French 🤣 ): I'm a little bit lost. What are the dimensions of your layout ? Thanks.

You can certainly ask that question :) It is 2 ft by 12 ft (610mm by 3660mm).

I have much more room available but I deliberately decided to make a small layout in the hope that I will actually complete it!

Edit - I made a mistake. The layout is only 610mm wide!

Last edited:
"To give the layout a little bit of up and down contours, I cut out a piece of extruded foam and shaped it using a Surform. I will coat this with wood filler. " - kleiner

is there an advantage to using wood filler rather than a thin coat of plaster?

"To give the layout a little bit of up and down contours, I cut out a piece of extruded foam and shaped it using a Surform. I will coat this with wood filler. " - kleiner

is there an advantage to using wood filler rather than a thin coat of plaster?

Mostly because I just happen to have a box of wood filler left over from another household project :) In the past I have used Sculptamold but wood filler is much less messy

Another question: Could you post the latest version of your track plan ? Thanks.

Track plan was designed using 3rd Planit software. I am using Atlas turnouts and flex track. I much prefer Atlas flex track since it bends very easily. I am using a mix of #4 and #6 turnouts. The track plan looks a little weird because the geometry of the turnouts is slightly mismatched. Once you lay the track however, you can not tell at all.

Layout_18_annotated.png

About ten years ago, at the company where I was working, some people were clearing out a laboratory near my office. I found this brand new set of calipers lying in the dumpster! I asked around and nobody wanted it so I rescued this along with a set of perfectly good hand tools. I find it very useful in modeling work.

IMG_4316.jpeg

Back