Woodlawn Industrial Park (was Northeastern HO scale switching layout)

Finally done with the wiring! All of the frogs are now powered. It went very quickly thanks to the Wago connectors. I secured the Wago connectors to the underside of the layout using Scotch Dual Lock pieces.

IMG_3618.jpeg

I have been busty for the past couple of days. Yesterday, I installed missing ties near track joints - you have to cut away the ties when using flex track. This was very tedious work as I had to file down the tiers to be able to slide them under the rails. But thankfully, its all done now. This is bad enough for a small layout like this so I 'd hate to have to do this for a big layout with hundreds of track joints!

IMG_3623.png

I have started painting the rails and what an improvement it makes! I'm waiting for the paint to dry and then I'll make a pass with a brightly to clean the rail tops

IMG_3622.png

I am making progress weathering tracks and assembling the warehouses. In the meantime, I just received a set of HO scale street lights and associated light controller. It would not have been hard to come up with a separate power supply for the lights but on a small layout like this, it's entirely feasible to just run them off the DCC bus to simplify the setup. I will be using just one locomotive at a time and my DCC controller can put out many amps of power so its no problem really.

IMG_3663.jpeg

This did not go well :) I had this idea of using foam core board as the road areas on my layout but it warped once it was painted with Woodland Scenics Asphalt paint.
Previously foam core board came with think clay-coated paper that did not take much water but this foam core board seems to absorb the water from the paint and warps. I have ordered some sheet styrene which I think will go better

IMG_3696.jpeg

Its been a while since I last posted - I made progress on the modern concrete warehouse and the structure is mostly done except for the details. I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. Only one more big structure to go - plastic pellet transfer facility. I will then get started with ground cover - I got a static grass applicator recently and can't wait to try it out!

IMG_3892.jpeg

And I'm finally done with the modern concrete warehouse. I'm pretty happy with the way ti turned out overall. This kit definitely needs a lot of paint as the unpainted plastic does not look good. Next project will be to assemble the plastic pellet unloading facility

IMG_4155.jpeg

And a side view
IMG_4156.jpeg

Here is the latest track plan - I just realized I had not posted it

And here is a snapshot of the tools I use to draw lines on the base. This is not a complicated layout but it is important to get the main tracks laid as accurately possible so it will all fit. The laser square is absolutely invaluable for this process.Once I get it aligned, I can draw the lines with a Sharpie. I will not be using any trackbed for this layout as industrial trackage tends to be mostly at ground level.

View attachment 127544

Friend, please tell me more about "laser square" WHat brand/model are you using and how does it work? Thanks in advance! ---- Steve J

Friend, please tell me more about "laser square" WHat brand/model are you using and how does it work? Thanks in advance! ---- Steve J

Its nothing very complicated - its made by Stanley and I got it about 15 years ago. It has come in very useful in all kind of projects around the house over the years. When you push the green button, you get two laser beams at right angles which can help you align things - its that simple!

IMG_4204.jpeg

Back