Woodlawn Industrial Park (was Northeastern HO scale switching layout)

I'm happy that you went with the 24x48 size. I do not think you would have been happy with the smaller size.
Personally, I just like the slightly smaller 4 wheel trucked locos - they are just more versatile on a smaller layout.
If you have that 16 feet in length - I have a plan for you - I just have to find it - i'm looking - just can't remember where I stuck it!

Here it is --- I always wanted to build this - never got around to it - maybe you have given me the push!
Lots of switching moves here .. as you can see it is a waypoint on a larger layout.

Attachments

• Layout West Agony 01 (Large).jpg
    Layout West Agony 01 (Large).jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 215
  • Layout West Agony 02 (Large).jpg
    Layout West Agony 02 (Large).jpg
    342.6 KB · Views: 230
  • Layout West Agony 03 (Large).jpg
    Layout West Agony 03 (Large).jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 222
@Sirfoldalot Thanks for the designs - I will take a look at them.

As it happens, here is an update - this is now the full benchwork: 2 ft by 12 ft. I decided that 12 ft would be enough so I did not add another module.
Also, I added legs to all modules so each module is free standing. Thanks to the leveling screws I installed in the legs, I am able to get the modules to line up pretty accurately. You can see the blue foam behind the benchwork - that will be next.

IMG_3476.jpeg

Here it is --- I always wanted to build this - never got around to it - maybe you have given me the push!
Lots of switching moves here .. as you can see it is a waypoint on a larger layout.

I just love the Agony layout design you posted. Let me see if I can fit it in 12 ft by 2 ft. Need to fire up 3rd Planit

Another set of the same photos, however with these can be enlarged and moved around on the screen to see details better.

Attachments

• Layout West Agony 01.jpg
    Layout West Agony 01.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Layout West Agony 02.jpg
    Layout West Agony 02.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Layout West Agony 03.jpg
    Layout West Agony 03.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 171
There is also the question of track choice. I have favored Atlas for the past few layouts and it has worked well. The cost is reasonable and by using the Tam Valley Frog Juicer, I can get my locos to crawl through turnouts without any hesitation.

However, I wonder if I should take a look at Peco or Walthers. Still a bit undecided - needs some thought.

Most here seem to favor the Peco Brand. If I built this i would have to go back to "hand laid" and use fast tracks switches.
I know it's to NOT be in a hurry, but there is so much satisfaction in doing it!

Another set of the same photos, however with these can be enlarged and moved around on the screen to see details better.

@Sirfoldalot I think this is from some old issue of Model Railroader - can you tell me which issue? I have a subscription to the new trains.com website and they have the full archives included in the subscription.

I did not think that the plan was any more than 24 inches wide, but seems maybe to be more like 30 inches? The reason I say that is because your drawing looks a little tight?
You are correct - It is from MR. I want to say between 64 and 70? If you can do a search - look for WEST AGONY.
I will never find it again - my back copies are too jumbled. If you need the article - Send a PM to member ASHPIT. I believe that he has a MR disc of issues and could do a possible search?

I still have a lot of tweaking that I have to do on my version of West Agony. I just wanted to see if there was any chance at all that not would fit in the space available.
One thought I have had is to add two foldable planks on each side of the layout to provide the runaround space for switching operations. In that case, it would be a lot easier to fit the entire plan in 12 by 2 space.
Anyway, this promises to be a fun activity - am looking forward to this.

After looking more close - it seems to be at least 36 inches wide.
There were no dimensions in the article (I remember that) It was a switching "puzzle" with 35- 40 moves to complete.
I'll look for the issue tomorrow.

I did not think that the plan was any more than 24 inches wide, but seems maybe to be more like 30 inches? The reason I say that is because your drawing looks a little tight?
You are correct - It is from MR. I want to say between 64 and 70? If you can do a search - look for WEST AGONY.
I will never find it again - my back copies are too jumbled. If you need the article - Send a PM to member ASHPIT. I believe that he has a MR disc of issues and could do a possible search?
http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2018/06/my-ballard-track-arrangement.html July 1960, Terry Walsh’s West Agony & Inchoate Railroad

Back