Northeast Pennsylvania Railroaders

pa3de8

GO PENNSY!!!
Are there any northeast Pennsylvania railroader's on the forum? I'm interested in meeting up with some people who are pretty local for regular get together's to talk railroading and other fun stuff. I'm also looking for a model railroad club in the NE PA area if anyone knows of one who is looking for a new member.

Scott

You know Bob, moving to southern PA wouldn't have been such a bad idea back at the end of the summer when I was looking for a house to buy. But my wife would have nixed the idea anyway. She was adament about keeping the kids in the school district.
Thanks for the info.

Scott

I have to laugh, everyone of those on this list you sent me are no where near me...The closest one is in Hazelton and that's over an hour away from me. I'm thinking of maybe starting my own if I could find some people in the NE PA area who are interested.

Scott

LOL...Sorry,, I tried!!.. A great way is to post an ad at a local hobby shop...I did one years ago..called it a "train meet" with talks of a club..Had like 10 show up at my home to see my layout, eat off the grill and watch my live steam and we were so into train talk we never discussed the club idea...Then they actually started meeting at the hobby shop about a year later, just talking, then finally found a location to start the layout. You be surprised of the locals that are into it and you never knew...

I think I'm going to post a few notes up in some public places (library, etc....). There really isn't a "local" hobby shop up here.

Scott

Scott, I appreciate your problem. I have the same one. Here in Perry County the nearest club would be (or used to be) in Mechanicsburg, about a 45 minute drive for me if they're still active. Farther for most people in the county. The N-Trak in Lemoyne is closer for N scalers.

I too have considered starting a local club. Based on the number of train theme Christmas lights, steam loco mail boxes, and heritage plates on vehicles there are several modeler/railfans in the county. But how to reach them in a very rural county with no LHS.

Just a note the list Trucula posted is by no means all inclusive. There is an active club in Lewistown, Mifflin County. I used to be a member.

The club is Lewistown is a nice one!...I veiwed their layout around Christmas time..They have been up to ours too...But still too far for Scott to drive to!...Like Attaboy said, I am sure there are allot that don't have a listing on the net. Try posting an ad in the want ads of a free bargin sheet or a Hometown shopper like we have here. If you create one locally thats less you have to drive!!!.. I have been to the shop near Scranton/WilksBarre, (its in a big hardware store, can't remember the name) and Steamtown Museum is awesome.

Yes the one near Steamtown Mall is a really small shop but he has "everything". I'm thinking about just advertising and seeing if I can get enough guys together with an interest and starting NE PA Railroad club.

Scott

I was able to check out the last time we spoke about it and man, I could break the piggy bank there!!! I'd also end up in divorce court.

Scott

No one in NE PA is interested in working on putting together club with me for us model railroaders?

Scott

I know this is an old thread, but I am hopeful!

pa3de8, we are a relatively new model railroad club in NEPA -- the Endless Mountains Model Railroad Club. You can find out more about us at our website listed below in my signature.

Also, we invite you to the next meeting of the Endless Mountains Model Railroad Club. The next meeting is on Saturday May 18 at 6 pm at the club building in Dimock. It is the old Cavanaugh building (a big white barn with huge green letters) just south of the Dimock blinker on Rt 29, between Tunkhannock and Montrose. If you are interested, just stop by and say hello. We love visitors!

Back