Norfolk Southern question

EHodges

Gentlemen,
I am looking for a specific engine set I guess you would call it and I cannot find it anywhere. I just found out that Norfolk Southern has one passenger train that I know of. Here is what I am looking for:

Norfolk Southern F9A #4270
Norfolk Southern F9A #4271
Norfolk Southern F7B #4275
Norfolk Southern F7B #4276

I have seen this run on you tube and I have been trying to find this set or a decent version of it. I can renumber if I need to but I want to start getting this collection together.

http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/8/9/9/2899.1193367600.jpg

Eric

thanks

I appreciate that info and links. I will keep my eye on that Athearn model. I just hope it is worth the money. I have heard that alot of the Athearn models are not that good and have alot of problems. I cant say as I am new to the hobby.

Eric

Norfolk Southern

As I was able to visit Pennsylvania again this summer I wanted to get a model of the Norfolk Southern F units. I managed to get an A-B set from Dicks train store in Altoona,which is from their ready to run range.However he could,nt get another pair, so I got a Cotton Belt A-B set, which I,m going to repaint and redecal using the Microscale decals.
The Cotton Belt set, is from Athearns Genesis range, so both units are powered.My plan is to use them as the head end pair, and have the ready to run set as the trailing pair.
Ron
I found that the ready to run set, are coupled too far apart, so I made a drawbar from a piece of plastic, also they have no hand rails unlike the Genesis pair. If I was to buy them again, I,d get two pairs of the Genesis F units and repaint those.

I appreciate that info and links. I will keep my eye on that Athearn model. I just hope it is worth the money. I have heard that alot of the Athearn models are not that good and have alot of problems. I cant say as I am new to the hobby.

Eric

Eric, this hobby is very subjective and opinionated. I have Athearn locomotives and cars from the 1960s that still run well. I also have some that need work to meet my current expectations. However, I can say the same about my Atlas, Intermountain and BLI locos. My biggest disapointment are the Proto2K, both from the Lifelike and Walthers eras. My biggest surprise is Bachmann, derided by most modelers, cheap, readily available and deeply discounted. With a little work, replacing OEM decoders, changing couplers, and adding details, they are surprisingly good locomotives.

The NS executive locos due in december appear to be from the RTR line, and are the same as my 1965 versions, only assembled overseas and distributed.
You will need to do some work to add details to meet your desire. But that, my friend is what this hobby is really about.

work

I cant wait till they come out. I will do what ever work is needed to make sure they are a premium locomotive when I get finished. I am a die hard NS fan and that would be a great addition to my collection.

Eric

Keep in mind that the Athearn model is an F7 not an F9. NS bought them as F7s and rebuilt them and classified them as F9s. They are not your regular F9s either.

The B units are regular F7s.

Here's some step by step instructions from a guy who detailed up an F7 to become an F9:

http://www.southernexchange.net/OCS.shtm

OK, I'm confused. Are these reissues because I bought both those sets about 2 years ago. Athearn #80189 was units 4271 and 4275. Athearn #80197 were units 4270 and 4276.:confused:

i would be all over them if they were N scale!!!

Scott Teague did a set in N scale, complete with generator stacks and working ditch lights. Go to Central Carolina N Scalers, General modeling, NS F Units done at last.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a timely thread as I'm interested in trying my hand at detailing the Norfolk Southern Executive locomotives (and cars eventually) for my sons layout.

I have an A-B unit, (both powered) Athearn Genesis with sound, F-7 Phase 2, (NYC bodies) and I have an A-B unit of the RTR Athearn #80189 that are painted in the Executive paint style, (only A powered) but needs some work to match most of the photo's I've spotted. Should I invest in 2 undecorated Genesis bodies to paint and keep the NYC bodies? I know the Genesis bodies are actually Highliners, can you get these separately? The NYC is factory and really looks nice. I'm not sure I want to scrub these down and change them. I've got some time today to look into these, so I'll report to this thread so we know.

First, can/does an RTR Athearn body fit a Genesis frame? I'm thinking they should be the same (both F7's) but I'm sure there is a trick. Second, can I run Genesis and the RTR's in the same consist? I am running DCC.

I would rate my level of modeling ability at medium, with paint being the place where I need practice.

I have found a great article in the December 2010 copy of RMC that is helping me along. I thought I'd go to the brain trust and ask.

Any ideas appreciated.

Scott

As I have both the Genesis A-B set, and the RTR A-B set, I thought I,d give the body swap a try. I just did the B unit shells, but I would imagine that the A,s would be the same. The Genesis body is held onto the chassis by the porthole transparencies. These have an extension that act like the tabs on a Dash 9 or similar diesel, and latch onto the chassis.The RTR shell is held on by a tab on the chassis, that engages with a slot in the body shell.The RTR shell does fit the Genesis chassis but it has no tabs to locate the shell in position.
I run DC on my layout, and I,ve found the Genesis and the RTR pairs, will run together quite well, I run the Genesis set as the lead pair as they run a touch faster.

Ron

Ron

I did find that out today as well. The shells for the Genesis loco's are held on by tabs that are part of the porthole transparencies. The RTR is is just a few tabs near the fuel tank.

I'm going to see if I can order some A and B bodies from my LHS (Chesterfield Hobbies in Richmond) and see if they are still available.

Scott

Timely topic for me .... I just finished up this pair ....

4986003.jpg

10821.jpg

607878.jpg

310207.jpg

Mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark, those look SWEEEEEEET! Wow. Can you tell us how you started, what parts, is it DCC or DC, that sort of thing. Do you have in progress pictures?

Scott

(Those are awesome!)

Back