Non Hobby Specific Items...

goscrewyourselves

I'm the one
I think we all know that "anything" that is specific to something is "generally" more expensive than a "generic" or "alternate" product". This is true (very true in some cases) for the this Hobby as well.

As such, and as a result of getting some great ideas in another thread, I was curious to know what "Non Specific" items you use to build your layout and/or do repairs on things for your layout.

Some of the "non specific items" I already use are:

Dremmel 8220 Rotary Tool
Elmers White Glue
Alcohol
Dental Plaster
Fast Setting Plaster
Angled Tweezers
Alligator Clips
Extruded Hobby Foam Board
Head Magnifier
Various Wood Working Clamps
T Pins
Metal Engineering Blocks
Disposal Aluminium Baking Pans
Aluminium Sheets

Probably other things as well that I can't think of at the moment. I am hoping that this thread will be useful to people wanting to use alternative, less expensive, things and/or give others ideas for alternative items that they may not have thought about using or not thought useful for the hobby. Things such as were suggested to me:

Hemostats
Reverse Action Tweezers

When new people come and ask what 'tools' they will need for model railroading:

1. hobby razor knife (like Exacto)
2. jewler's screw drivers (set)
3. jewler's files (set)
4. pin vice (set)
5. rail nippers
6. needle nose plier
7. multi-meter
8. alligator clips
9. motor-tool (like Dremel)
10. soldering iron

I'll add a couple things to the list:
Dental picks. I use them every day.
Thin sheet metal and magnets. Helps hold numerous things in place.
Light. The one I use is a magnifying soldering station but has LEDs in the adjustable head. I also have headlamps.
Brushes. Cheap is fine. They get used for everything from lube to chalk to paint.

As someone who constantly leaves tools all over the desk and layout and then spends time looking for them, one of the most useful things I ever found are dental tool trays:

This one is by my workbench, mostly for plastic model kits.

42287727392_626f8ffd96_o.jpg

Here's one on the layout under construction.

42287727022_8b661faea8_o.jpg

I found these online somewhere a couple years ago, possibly on Amazon. They came 3 to a pack, in different colors. It was actually a little difficult to find the ones with the tool holder slots like these; search online and you'll see there's quite a variety out there. These make it easy to move your tools around the layout and keep everything somewhat organized.

And another similar thing is below-- a portable laptop table. This is a small adjustable-height table on wheels that I usually use to hold tools and parts as shown. I'll often have it by my side at the workbench, but it's light enough to move around the layout or elsewhere as needed. Got it at an office supply store. As you can guess, I got these ideas at the dentist's office from the pivoting tool tray they use while working on your teeth.

40528500990_e61e872a03_o.jpg

Back