Noisy P2K GP38-2

macjet

I've got six P2K engines of which I'm currently running four. 3- GP38-2's and 1 GP-60. My newest addition (GP-38-2) arrived today and during the break-in I noticed a lot of noise. The other three are quiet as a mouse but this one sounds like a loud motor. It makes the same noise at slow speeds and the frequency is too fast for anything in the trucks. It's got to be something in the faster spinning pieces.

Any thoughts or remedies?

Well if it was me, I would open it up ( unless there's some kind of warranty on it ) and check if there might be something not in place, or some shaft that might have come apart during transport, and also check if there is any dust or soem kind of material near the motor. My last purchase an RS-3 was running perfectly when I got it, then I started to notice that with some cars attached it was not pulling as it should, which is strange for an engine that has 2 flywheels and that wieght. Then I opened it and found out that the worm gear housing was not closed as it should have, and it was slipping. Then I snapped it properly, and it went a beauty up the hills :).

Do you still have the 'exploded' diagram that came in the box? If so, I would have that ready, then call Walthers Customer Service at 1-800-487-2467, and ask for "Keith" (sorry don't know his last name). He helped me solve a different type of problem I was having with a P2K GP38-2 I bought from an eBay seller.

Well, I removed the shell and ran the engine. Quiet as a mouse. I then reinstalled the shell and no more noise. It looks like the body was vibrating for some reason but that is no longer the case.

Thanks for all the input.

Now, where are the pilot holes for the snow plow on my GP60?!?:confused:

Back