No Space - No Problem....

MOWboss

Just finishing a five stall round house for my steam facility.
I wanted the flavor of a steam era service facility but didn't want to commit all the real estate that went with it on this layout. So in one corner I put in a turntable and the other corner I located the roundhouse. This corner arrangement gave me a pretty good length for 3 stalls. The other 2 stalls - not so much. To be honest there's something to be said about storing a loco rather than working the road.
1675893687317.png

Fortunately (?) a sizeable corner of the building was eliminated - about 7 inches! Depending on your point of view I lost 7" of building or I gained 7" of aisle...
1675893734714.png

The missing walls afforded me the ability to detail an expansive view of the interior. The end (smallest) stall became a machine shop with closed doors. The longer 3 stalls can fit my steam power.
1675893807612.png

The real surprise came when I realized that I could look into the building but also through the building, out the open doors and view the expanse of the facility. Almost like being there......
1675893923505.png

1675893970799.png

Sorry but photography isn't my strong suit.
Hope this idea gives someone the inspiration to try something radical in a small space.....

Nice job of this. It looks like something you'd see almost anywhere the need was obvious to the owners of the railroad. I especially like the framing and the floor. Looks really good.

Back