No More Trains

What about 'gatorboard?'

Years ago, I was involved with the tradeshow business, etc, for my employer. The 'exhibitions group' at one point, made me a display board, out of some type of plastic sandwich material, that was about 1/2" think, and 2'x8.' It seemed to me, then (about 1995), this type of thing could be the future of model railroading. It could be cut with a knife, glued together, like plastic, and was both strong and light. Not as strong as say, pine, or plywood, but given its light weight, I could see that adding material to strengthen it, ought not to be a problem.

Plan would be to buy a sheet(s) of the stuff, use one for the 'table top,' and cut up the other sheets, into 1x4's, 1x2's, etc, and follow conventional construction methods back then, only use the new material, and glue/adhesives, instead of screws.

Never followed thru with the idea, and haven't seen much discussion beyond the typical 'foam over wood,' for scenery, but at the time, substituting this material for wood, and screws, seemed like a 'no brainer,' to me, if you wanted to keep things like the weight of your layout down(for the sake of easier moving, amongst others), by this point (2013).

"Your assignment, Mr Phelps, (should you choose to accept), is to build one for us all to see. (this message will self destruct in 5 seconds). So get to it!!:rolleyes::p

Today I unboxed all of the engines that were not paid for by Jan. 30th as the guy said he was going to do. So, this week, either Friday or Sat. I'll take pictures of the engines I will be selling. Have Bachmann Spectrum & Athearn 6 axle diesels in NS & BNSF. I am keeping 10 of the 4 axle diesels until June or July to see if I start another layout & if I don't I'll sell those too. I'll start a new thread in the FS section.:D

Well, I'm making it official today. Won't be another Train Layout started. Got some xtra large bills in today from my wife's surgery & follow-up doctors appointments. I have to pay all of these before the end of the year. I will stay on the Forum just long enough to sell the rest of the engines & then I will sign off permanently. I'm also going to finish up some of my metal sculptures that I started about 6 yrs. ago so I can sell them to raise cash.
Maybe in about 5 years I can start something, then I'll be 80 yrs. old.:D:)

Well, I'm making it official today. Won't be another Train Layout started. Got some xtra large bills in today from my wife's surgery & follow-up doctors appointments. I have to pay all of these before the end of the year.
Sorry to hear that....best of luck

Sorry to hear you're getting out of the hobby. I just want to wish you and your wife the best of luck.

Back