No more trains...?

malibu43

Question about reduction in prototype freight traffic

I grew up (during the 80’s and 90’s) just a couple blocks away from railroad tracks in Santa Margarita, CA. At the time, I believe it was part of SP’s main line between San Francisco/Oakland and LA. Every day, I would see two Amtrak trains (one northbound and one southbound), and most days I would see one or two freight trains. They were usually pretty long with a set of helpers in the middle to help over Cuesta Grade. The loads varied over the years. There was mixed freight, I think lumber quite often, and auto-carriers. For a while, lots and lots of sugar beets.

For the last year, every time I head down to visit my parents, I’ve noticed a complete lack of any freight traffic (it may have been even longer, but I just recently noticed). I’m just curious, is this a result of the economy? Or some result of the take-over by UP? Or a combination of both? I have very little knowledge of how rail freight really works, and therefore can’t really put my fingers on what factors would result in a reduction in traffic.

It would be fun to see six loco trains running through town again on a regular basis. Although I’m sure they’ll have a little too much yellow on them for my taste.

Last edited by a moderator:
due to mergers, the traffic you used to see is probably on another line which is more efficient from the RR's perspective: it may be shorter or perhaps the traffic is combined with other trains. For the most part there are fewer but longer trains on fewer routes in most cases. It also depends on if some of that rail traffic was going to/from local businesses that aren't there anymore.

Back