Night shots?

• Yes

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well, the yes votes are barely edging ahead @ 84%... :D

Ya'll ready for some night pics next month? :cool: I'm sure there will be some fantastic pics to choose from in July.

rhoward said:
You mean those Guernseys are to become..... Angus?

Hey Ray, I figure:

1) IF they ARE angus.....

2) IF the new paint scheme is Norfolk and Western Black.......

3) IF I shoot it on a moonless night......

4) If they scene is of the engines idling on a siding, with the Angus sneeking
up to attack.........

I've got it in the BAG!!!!:D :D :D

Johnny

RexHea said:
Ah, OK! I did forget to take off my lenscap.
How's this?

The Night Hawk in Tunnel:

Nice. Is that one of those pics you stare at for a while and then it morphs into another image??? I keep expecting to see your Challenger pop into mental focus...:D

RexHea said:
Ah, OK! I did forget to take off my lenscap.
How's this?

The Night Hawk in Tunnel:

Rex, That shot is incredible!!!! The Detail, The outstanding handcarved tunnel bore, the scratchbuilt 1:87th LIVE STEAM engine, the fact that you laid all the rail by hand AND used real joint bars, it is just the BEST!!!

I'm hanging up my modeling for good, NO way can I even start to compete with level of talent.

And to think Grandeman thought you were trying to be a wise-aiker!!;)

Johnny

grande man said:
As many of you know, I've been experimenting with some night shots on our RR. In posting some of the pics, there's been mention of possibly using night shots as a theme for the July contest.
Prototype or Models?

Then what are the rest of the rules? I noticed one of the previous winners was highly edited photo (after the fact), making it a picture rather than a photograph. I mean without guildelines for limits, with all the digital tools we have now one could take a picture of a model, take a picture of a layout, splice them together, add a real background and enter it.

GandyDancer said:
Then what are the rest of the rules? I noticed one of the previous winners was highly edited photo (after the fact), making it a picture rather than a photograph. I mean without guildelines for limits, with all the digital tools we have now one could take a picture of a model, take a picture of a layout, splice them together, add a real background and enter it.

The rules are pretty loose, as we try to run a friendly contest. Personally, I'd like to keep it to pics of modeled scenes, but we'll let the members decide if they prefer that to digitally altered pics when they vote. :)

Maybe this will help. http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3245

Feel free to ask any other questions you may have, or offer comments. We want the contests to be fun and I'm certainly open to any suggestions to make it so.

Hey Gandy, just take a photo shot of your favorite and relative scene and submit it to the contest. The forum members will either like it or not. This is a fun/showoff contest with no prizes other than a month of bragging rights. Let's not take the fun out of it by clouding it with rules.;) :)

RexHea said:
Hey Gandy, just take a photo shot of your favorite and relative scene and submit it to the contest.
If that is all it is, yes I agree. But I'm not going to waste my time submitting a photo shot trying to go against digital art work. That is not fun or interesting either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good show, Gandy. Keep in mind there are some real good photographers on here, but they don't always win. Sometimes, it just happens to be the creativity of the scene that everyone likes without all the fancy whiz-bangs. Everyone has a chance to win and everyone enjoys all the photos.;) :)

rhoward,
So how does one add "headlights" using photoshop? I had a great picture, but it had a bus in it that had no lights and so it looked really stupid.

GandyDancer said:
rhoward,
So how does one add "headlights" using photoshop? I had a great picture, but it had a bus in it that had no lights and so it looked really stupid.

Quite simple actually. Select the correct sized paint brush, find the color you want to look like a headlight, place the crosshairs on the spot where you want the headlight, and click.... There it is. BTW, until you start doing work with some of the way out filters in photoshop, most everything you do is based on the exact same techniques that have been used in film photography. For instance 40 years ago I saw steam added to photos of model steam locos. It used to be very intricate work using cotton on a glass rod and time exposure to match the drawing of the "steam". It can just be done faster and easier using digital photography. I do try to let people know when I am adding anything to the photo digitally or doing anything more than just adjusting color, exposure, and contrast.

And, GandyDancer, Go ahead and enter your photo. The contest is just for fun! Often it is not the techniquely perfect photo that wins anyway. You never know what will get the attention of the people here at the forum. That is why I like this forum. Great bunch of people here and nobody gets to much into rivet counting (shall we say). I look forward to seeing your photos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back