Night Pics from the Miller Steam Plant

grande man

Bonafied Grande Nut
Hi everyone. I posted these on the proto forum, but thought I'd toss them up here too. They are of Alabama Power's Miller Steam Plant. Miller burns Powder River coal delivered via the BNSF. It quite an operation, to say the least. Hope ya'll enjoy them.

IMG_2623.JPG

IMG_2652.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jos.

As a side note, the first shot has a bit of wide angle distortion because I couldn't get very far back. One of these days, I'm going to get Photoshop to correct things like that. ;)

Fantastic shots Eric, esp. the 2nd one - the only clue I have that the train wasn't actually moving is that the ditch lights aren't turned on!

Fantastic shots Eric, esp. the 2nd one - the only clue I have that the train wasn't actually moving is that the ditch lights aren't turned on!

Thanks Ken. I'm glad the ditch lights weren't turned on. There was enough stray light bouncing around inside my 70-200 as it was! :D

Very Nice, Eric! They are so sharp and clean that I would have thought the file size to be 5 times what it is. That is a very fine camera...oh, and the operator ain't so bad either.:rolleyes: :D

Thanks for the comments guys.

This was my second night shoot. The first didn't go as well but I picked up a few things. Hopefully, the pics will continue to improve. Night photography has a lot to offer as it tends to really bring out the subject in a dramatic fashion. I'd love to get a couple of Speedlites for "stop action" type shots. This stuff is expensive though, so it may be a while. Right now, I'm just thankful to have the gear I've got. I'm sho nuff having fun with it. :)

Ehem, thats LONG hood forward....

Yeah Ken...:D :D :D

Actually, we're short hood forward looking at the rear end of the train which makes the view from the long hood. :p Either way, there ain't no ditch lights on that end are there Josh? :D

Yeah Ken...:D :D :D

Actually, we're short hood forward looking at the rear end of the train which makes the view from the long hood. :p Either way, there ain't no ditch lights on that end are there Josh? :D
At least not on that unit, though BNSF does have dual ditch light units in the GP39's...

So the trains was rolling AWAY from you?

P.S. I love the pics!

I've seen ditch lights on both ends of some units, I know I wasn't dreaming it.

So, Eric...was the train moving or not?

Back