Nifty Fifties!

Old 97

Hogger
Well, I wasn't gonna do it but I did.
I bought the special issue Modeling Railroads of the 1950s by Model Railroader.
This issue is worth every penny!
Tons of modeling info on locomotives,freight cars,passenger trains,scenery,structures, vehicles, and more!!!!!!!

I'm gonna be busy reading some good articles! :)

Has anyone else gone out and bought this one yet???? :confused:

I just might next time I'm in Reno. I'm with Josh, that Utah Belt is a great layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Old 97 said:
Has anyone else gone out and bought this one yet????

I did and agree, it's got alot of great info. I hope MR will do issues on other decades as well. Admittedly though, the 50's probably had more material to cover. Maybe another issue could have sections on the 60's,70's,80's & 90's.

NWR #200 said:
I mean I might buy the magazine the next time in Reno, my closest Hobby Shop.

You can order it through the mail and have it delivered to your front door. :D

Take a look at Page 69.......

Red Oak & Western said:
Just picked up a copy at Walmart on my way home from work. I'll read it in bed tonight.
Kj

Check out the track maintenance vehicle on page 69.
It was kitbashed from an Alloy Forms B61 Mack tractor cab and a Roco tank retriever body.
This rig even has N scale wheels to simulate hi-rail wheels!

I know for a fact that the New York & Western needs a truck like this! :D

I highly recommend this publication to everyone, regardless of the era they model. It is full of great how to articles that can easily be adapted to earlier or later periods. Take the article on doing research and using photos to learn how to identify period details. You don't have to be modeling the '50's to benefit. Then there is the article on weathering. It shows neat techniques for both steam and diesel weathering. And dirt and rust are dirt and rust, 1850, 1950, or 2000! And the advise in the article on page 56 -- The billboard did it!, holds true for any time frame. If you're modeling 1950, don't put up a billboard for Dell computers or if you're modeling 2000, don't have billboards for Chesterfield's.

I think this is one of the best publications Kalmbach has put out in a long time.

Kevin

97 - neat truck. I'll think I'll modify the design slightly, put a tower in the bed, and use it for wire maintenance. Kj

Red Oak & Western said:
97 - neat truck. I'll think I'll modify the design slightly, put a tower in the bed, and use it for wire maintenance. Kj

Great idea!!
When you finish with it, just park it on a flat car and have it shipped out
to the New York & Western interchange! :D :D

Back