NHL Bradford Xchange

moermusic

Does anyone know what type of loco is used to pull Bradford Xcange NHL trains? Look like a F unit, made by Bachman. Two horns, one
faces backwards. Unit weighs 1 lb. Just curious.

oilers train 003.jpgoilers train 001.jpgoilers train 002.jpg

Does anyone know what type of loco is used to pull Bradford Xcange NHL trains?
That is a late model F7 or an F9. If it is an F9 there will be a vent just to the left of where the hocky player is looking on the 2nd photo. The vent would be to the front of the port hole. An F7 will not have a vent there.

At first glance I would have said that was an Athearn blue box because of the gaping front windows and the two horn configuration, but the truck looks more Bachmannish and I don't see the characteristic mold line on the top. So Bachmann is a good guess. A picture of the bottom would be more telling. I would have thought that Bachmann would have marked their name on the bottom somewhere.

Last edited:
Might say Kader on the bottom and if it does it's basically a Bachmann in every way except in name.

Don't want to step on you guys, but have a question and don't really want to start another Thread.
I see some On30 stuff listed on evilbey that says Bradford Exchange.
It seems quite a bit cheaper than normal On30?
Is it NOT to scale -inferior quality - what?
Any answers appreciated .....

Sorry gentlemen -- I was thinking of Hawthorne Village!

Last edited:
Don't want to step on you guys, but have a question and don't really want to start another Thread.
I see some On30 stuff listed on evilbey that says Bradford Exchange.
It seems quite a bit cheaper than normal On30?
Is it NOT to scale -inferior quality - what?
Any answers appreciated .....

Sorry gentlemen -- I was thinking of Hawthorne Village!
As far as I know they are identical other than the non-prototypical paint schemes on the Hawthorne Village stuff. Specialty items like McDonalds, Coke, John Deere, Harley Davison either really take off and become over priced collector's items or they end up in the junk drawer. So if one doesn't mind the re-painting job they can be value items. Don't know about other folks but my paint shop line has always got months and months of backlog. I've got painting projects that have been waiting for decades for me to get to them.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
My paint and re-paint box overfloweth with projects, but I am a visionary and I keep adding!
Decals are starting to become costly - as well as paint?

It does say Bachman on the bottom. Was trying to pinpoint the type of loco. Thanks . I'll go with a cheap imitation of a F7-9.

Here is a pic of the coach that are part of the set.View attachment 30240
Interesting. So the set even came with a "theater" in which to play.

If you are interested the prototype for the "big dome" cars are the Santa Fe 500 class. There were 14 of them originally purchased in 1954. Sold 13 of them to Autotrain with the coming of Amtrak, then they went to Holland America for use in Alaska. And right now there are 8 of them for sale so you could purchase a real one for yourself. By the way, the big cost of owning a private rail car isn't in the purchase... it is finding someplace to park the thing.

Actually, the "theater" is representing a hockey arena.
Thanks for the info on the dome cars. Tow one to the trailer park & live in it !

Back