Next up...

uspscsx

The Name's Really Matt...
...An Intermountain Espee 3 Bay Covered Hopper.

47003w.jpg

The detail is amazing on these hoppers. However, it lacks coupler cut bars, and the stirrups are worse than Athearn BB's! The old Kadee #5's will be replaced with #58's, the capacity will be blanked out, I'll add cut bars and new stirrups, and I'll replace the stock wheelsets with semi-scale wheelsets. And weather it, of course.

I'll keep you posted.

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh is right. IM flubbed the center outlet gate on their Centerflows and pointed it the wrong way. You'll have to remove it and turn it around.

Update

Last night I flipped the outlet. Fortunately, it easily popped off. I'll reglue it later.

I've created a file of prototype Espee hoppers. I think I have a good idea as to how to weather this one.

Matt

Morning Matt. On those SP hoppers,what is the time frame on them? Are they sixties to seventies,or later? Can't wait to see the upgrade that your going to do.Good luck.William.:cool:

The Intermountain model pictured above represents a late 4650CF Centerflow built from 1971-1975. 1964 to mid-1971 Centerflows had a single horizontal stiffening rib welded near the top of the curved side sheet, while the mid-1971 to 1982 Centerflows had the three stiffening ribs grouped together above the curved side sheet. 1975 to 1982 Centerflows had the same size roofwalk supports instead of the alternating large and small supports as shown above. Many of these hoppers are still in use today.

P3221674.png

This is sort of a base for the main rust areas that will be on this model. I have already toned-down the rust along the seams. Yes, you're probably thinking "Gee, another screw-up by Matt.", but, do wait until the final product to make judgements, please.

For the streaking from the roofwalk supports, I took an extra-thin brush and dry-brushed rust colored paint. For the seams, I used the same method, except for the base layer was colored pencil. [UPDATE: After having looked back over prototypes, I have gotten rid of the paint, and I am now using only a colored pencil.]

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as I said I would, I got rid of almost everything. Fortunately, this Intermountain paint is resistant to alky. However, the date is nearly gone, but it leaves a nice effect.

Back