Next 3...

lginc

That FM guy
just was wondering if their is anyone else out there that likes the "unusual", or odd engines, you know, the kind that will probably never be made in plastic. i really like to do the stuff nobody else has. the next three engines i would like to try and do this year(06) are, an RSD4 highnose, only CNW had these, 4 of em. a Crandall cab E8(another CNW only), and a U50C(only UP had these,40 of them). on all of these i have a clear and concise plan of attack. as for the E2,(only UP had these, 2 of them.) i just threw that in as a dream. i haven't got a clue how i could properly do this and make it correct. not sure if i should have posted this in this part of the forum, just was curious if anyone else likes to do "odd" engines like these? thanks,:) -Dean

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like an interesting project Dean! Will this be HO or N?

I've always been curious about what a "Crandall" cab E8 looked like, now I know, thanx for posting it. Between that, the hi-nose Alco and other CNW-only models, no wonder Johnny was inspired to do his FP45-B kitbash!

Yeah, somebody did a F45 A & B combo and put it up on eBay a month or two ago. I bid on it, but lost out to somebody else....

Kennedy

the RSD4 and the Crandall i would like to attempt to do in HO. i already have most of the parts for the RSD4. the U50C would be in N, as using concor models would be my best bet to achieve that. the way things have been going, i would be happy to get one of the three done,:eek: LOL, but those are the goals i have set for the kitbashing aspect of modeling this year.;) Ken, here is another pic of two Crandall's.:D notice i didn't put how many Crandall's CNW had, i think it was 2-4, but cant say for sure, and i cant find my records of this at the moment.:eek: my pics and facts folders on the computer are in a shambles. when I'm not working on the layouts, i SHOULD be sorting out files and folders on the computer, but what fun would that be, it would take away my time on this forum.:p thanks,:) -Dean

Hello Dean:

News from the Madison Division; The guys who did the FP45B have been re-located to an undisclosed location. So what's it gonna be? HMMMMMMM.

As for the 'Ugly Ducklings' in this thread two questions,

1) Was the RSD high-nose a CNW shoped project?

2) Were the Crandell cabs used only in freight service?

2) Did any of the U50C's survive in museums?

2) Did the E-2's carry the nose emblem for the three roads(CNW,UP,SP) or was this too early.

Thanks for answering my two questions and thanks for posting these photos!!

Johnny

enjineerbill said:
As for the 'Ugly Ducklings' in this thread two questions,

1) Was the RSD high-nose a CNW shoped project?

2) Were the Crandell cabs used only in freight service?

2) Did any of the U50C's survive in museums?

2) Did the E-2's carry the nose emblem for the three roads(CNW,UP,SP) or was this too early.

Thanks for answering my two questions and thanks for posting these photos!!
Johnny
"UGLY DUCKLINGS!":eek::mad::rolleyes::p;)LOL:D Johnny...my friend...BEAUTY, is in the eye of the beholder.;):DLOL! ..NOW, to answer your.....um...2...questions. 1- the four RSD's were factory made that way, originally sold new to Pensy:eek:, stayed with them for only a short time, and were sold off to CNW. 2-OK, since i cant find my Crandall fact sheet, i cannot give you 100% correct answer:(:eek:. i don't remember the Crandall's being used for freight service:confused:, they were E8's, geared for passenger service, CNW was low on A-passenger units and Crandall came up with converting the B-units to A's, to save the company money. if memory serves me right, this answer is correct. Johnny, was that a trick question?(*NOTE* remember the mid 70's-80's?..really?..cripes, i barely do. those were..rough..years for me. perhaps i am suffering from the after shocks of that time period.:eek::p;):D)...NOW...to answer..question, um...2..i have no records that show ANY of the U50C's made it out alive, all were scrapped and their trucks were used on the DD40's. even though the U50C's were better then the U50B's, they where still plagued with MANY problems, and lived relatively short lives. AND now for the LAST question....2...the E2A City of San Francisco DID have the emblems of UP, CNW and SP. E2A City of Las Angeles had ONLY the UP and CNW logos on the nose. OK, Johnny, i hope that answered...both...of your questions.:p:D you can take the answers to questions 1 and..um..2, to the bank.;):D the answers for questions..2..and um..2.. are only to the best of my knowledge. hey, yes I'm a facts and figures guy, but i don't know(or cant remember)it ALL!:p:DLOL! thanks:D, -Dean

:) :p :( ;) :confused: :D :eek: :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :cool: :( :) :p

That pretty much sums up the 60's , 70's, and the 80's for me!!!!

I meant no offense in calling those ugly ducklings 'ugly ducklings' LOL!!! I actually was the ugly duckling until I grew into the gorgeous specimen I am today.

Thanks for answering my two questions(I thought if anyone would appreciate it, it would be you..LOL).

I must have been silly:confused: when in question #2 I asked about Crandal/freight service-I meant passenger service so you answered it correctly!! Thanks Dean. Have a great Christmas.

Johnny

LOL!:D Johnny,NO offense was taken,;):D i KNEW you was just kidding.LOL!:p i thought the..um..2 questions part WAS quite funny.:D THANKS! and Merry Christmas to YOU and YOUR family:), -Dean

Back