Newby

bnsfjason

Maintenance in the way
Hi everybody I'm a newby here,but i'm usually on the other forums more often, so I hope that you can help me with some issues that I may come up with.:D

Athearn bathgon coal cars

I have been collecting coal cars for about 1 year now and currently I have
75+ cars (Athearn,Walthers,and some Atlas) I have the RD-4's to bathgons, and some coalveyor bathtubs.
What i'm trying to do is put a string of 100cars or so together with 2 locos on the lead and a DPU or two on the rear but right now I'm still searching for more coal cars particularly BN,BNSF, or even some FURX, or CEFX reporting marks, Athearn's web site has alot that were discontinued and not in stock at their warehouse so i'm trying to locate as much as I can via the web sites to as much hobby shops around this country but I want to know if any body has any listing to some sites to extend my search, I would appreciate the help:D
Also would 100+ cars be too much for 3 Kato locos or even 4 locos with a mixed consist of Kato,Broadway limited, and Athearn Genesis locomotives?

Also would 100+ cars be too much for 3 Kato locos or even 4 locos with a mixed consist of Kato,Broadway limited, and Athearn Genesis locomotives?

Depends if you have any grade, but 100 is a lot of cars, even for 3 powerhouses. I'd think more like 5 or 6. You haven't said what scale.

HO Scale, right now I don't have a layout yet, but right now i'm trying to gather up as much coal cars before I proceed on figuring out on a layout, I may have it at a 0.0%-0.2%

I have 1(one) Proto SD60M which is very heavy and which i'm assuming will be good for tractive effort but the only problem with it is it starts off really slow, is there any way for me to speed it up some way to match the start off speeds of the Katos and the others I mentioned? maybe upgrade the motors or changing the gear ratios

It depends. Check to see if you can't locate a copy of the reviews in Model Railroader, they'll tell you the draw bar pull and what it equals in free rolling, properly weighted 40' cars. I think it'd be around 45~. You might get away with the 3, maybe one more unit, or shorten the train to 75 (add up the length on those cars!).

Thanks too DCC control, yes you can alter the speeds and how fast they increase with each loco. And with consisting options you can make it so all loco's run the exact same way.

Thanks for all the info, there is one more thing that I forgot to mentioned is I will be using real coal for it's loads which I think it will add some considerable amount of weight, but all of the wheels/axles are metal(brass) which I do know will help it roll better, and all of the couplers were changed to metal Kadee #'s 58,118,158, I am experimenting with dummy couplers as well.

I own a MRC Prodigy Express, Its upgradeable fairly price and a great starter. Simple to work and it offers the Consisting option. I'm not quiet sure on other brands but I am almost certain Consisting and the options mentioned before are available with them.

I have a Digitrax Zephyr and love it, but I operate on layouts using Digitrax, NCE, and MRC. All of them work well and have slightly different features. For the life of me I couldn't recommend one over the other. I know the Zephyr is cheap, expandable and with what you described, more than enough for your layout.

I myself Prefer NCE, but thats partially due to the layout of the cab (I like it) and that I've played with it.

I'm convinced that the only reason I have Digitrax over the other is my club used Digitrax. If I would have started on either of the other layouts I run, I would have gone that route. Some die hards will argue which is better until they are blue. Most have only tried one system.

If you are interested in an indepth discussion of how to choose a DCC system with zealots from every camp discussing merits, try reading this thread:

Joe Fugate's Chosing a DCC System Clinic

Follow this link for one of the best sources of clear headed information on DCC:

http://www.tonystrains.com/tonystips/dccprimer/index.htm

After you get into DCC for awhile and start thinking about computer hook up, Joe Fugate's DVD #3 is nothing short of fantastic and is a must see for JMRI users, new and old alike.

IF you have a friend or club you are attending, you'll be wise to think strongly about their system, regardless of what it is. When you get smarter, and you will, you can always blame a bad decision on them! (Just kidding of course.)

As your experience grows, your layout does too. Quickly you'll start thinking wireless. Now I know this is going to excite the flamers from GA, but after looking at the hobby for two years and in DCC all that time, there are but two choices for wireless today:
NCE and Lenz/CVP Each of these two systems has some solid strengths and some solid weaknesses, the other systems have solid weaknesses and less strengths.

MRC has not been playing by the NMRA rulebook with either their decoders or their systems and frankly, I'm hard put to recommend them to anyone because of their continuing transgressions.

Digitrax IR system is 'wireless' point of sight, just think of your TV remote. Their throttles are considered unfriendly by many. (I stand corrected here, Nick informs me that they have an RF Radio option which is not line of sight.)

On my blog is an unscientific poll asking what is the most critical aspect of a DCC system when making a decision on what DCC system to buy.

DCCcriteriaJoe-Daddy.jpg

Ease of use is #1, expandability #2 and Price is #3. Over 150 people have participated in the survey poll.

For the record, I purchased a Super Chief system and sold it preferring to keep my current system.

Wireless is important even for a small 2*8 shelf railroad, that cord gets tangled in everything. . .

Just my 2 cents; hardly worth that

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe your not entirely correct on the Digitrax wirless they have ir built into the standard remotes but they also have a true RF connection that does not need a line of sight reciever. http://www.digitrax.com/prd_dt400_re.php Also the ease of use of their controls just depends on whose using them. I find them to be just fine, but that's just my personal preference.

Joe your not entirely correct on the Digitrax wirless they have ir built into the standard remotes but they also have a true RF connection that does not need a line of sight reciever. http://www.digitrax.com/prd_dt400_re.php Also the ease of use of their controls just depends on whose using them. I find them to be just fine, but that's just my personal preference.

Nick,
Thanks! I stand corrected. I'll modify my post accordingly.

Joe

No, problem Joe. Just trying to help out when and where I can with what little information I know.

Back