Newbie with coupler guestions

Floorguy24

I'm brand new to model trains and recently started collecting Bachmann and Tyco HO scale trains/cars. I recently acquired two Bachmann GP40 Sante Fe locomotives that have a different coupler than all the other couplers on the rest of my collection. I've posted two pictures; one is the hook/loop style that's on all the rest of my collection, the other appears to be a knuckle style similar to a full size train coupler. I'd like to know the exact name/style of each coupler. And can I switch the knuckle style out for the hook/loop style so they can connect with the rest of my collection? Any input would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2610.JPG
    IMG_2610.JPG
    492.9 KB · Views: 261
  • IMG_2609.JPG
    IMG_2609.JPG
    476.4 KB · Views: 239
Can I swap the Kaydee style out for the horn style? Any sort of adapter needed?
Yes, if you can find a source for the hook/horn/X2F/NMRA couplers. They are pretty much outdated, and don't lend themselves to switching. Depending on how many cars would have to be changed, you would do better to convert the hook/horn to the Kaydee type. Many of the Tyco and older Bachman cars probably have "Talgo" trucks with the couplers attached to them. Consult Kaydee to determine which of their couplers will fit. You can probably buy the #5's, which are the most common, in bulk packages. Kaydee couplers will connect to EZmate and similar knuckle couplers from other manufacturers.

One alternative, if you don't want to convert all your cars to Kaydee would be to change one end of one car to Kaydee, leaving the other end hook/horn. That would allow you to run the Kaydee equipped cars in the same train as the hook/horn. You might need to convert one car and a caboose this way, with the Kaydee-equipped cars between the caboose and the idler car.

Yes, if you can find a source for the hook/horn/X2F/NMRA couplers. They are pretty much outdated, and don't lend themselves to switching. Depending on how many cars would have to be changed, you would do better to convert the hook/horn to the Kaydee type. Many of the Tyco and older Bachman cars probably have "Talgo" trucks with the couplers attached to them. Consult Kaydee to determine which of their couplers will fit. You can probably buy the #5's, which are the most common, in bulk packages. Kaydee couplers will connect to EZmate and similar knuckle couplers from other manufacturers.

One alternative, if you don't want to convert all your cars to Kaydee would be to change one end of one car to Kaydee, leaving the other end hook/horn. That would allow you to run the Kaydee equipped cars in the same train as the hook/horn. You might need to convert one car and a caboose this way, with the Kaydee-equipped cars between the caboose and the idler car.

Very helpful, thank you!

I'm brand new to model trains and recently started collecting Bachmann and Tyco HO scale trains/cars.
Are you "collecting" these as collector items, or are you just accumulating them to make a model train set to run and have fun with? I ask because swapping the couplers from the original horn hook to Kadee would ruin any collector's value they might have.

Second question is if the Bachmann locomotives were purchased new or 2nd hand? The photo really looks like Kadees were added by the prior owner. Most new Bachmann equipment would come with McHenry couplers. McHenry's are also knuckle couplers and look similar but are made of plastic. I ask because if a prior owner performed a conversion, then they have modified the factory mounting and used a Kadee #37 undershank coupler. It would be hard to go back to the horn hooks. Here is the official conversion from the Kadee site - https://kadee.com/conv/pdf/b10.pdf

EDIT P.S.
You know, ... now that I went back and stared at that conversion diagram again, it might not be all that hard to convert back. All they have really done (if this is indeed what they did) is to file off the built in coupler box and mounting pin. The new screw replaces the mounting pin. One could replace the copuler box with a Kadee standard and mount the horn hook with a washer (to keep it centered on the screw). I could send you the horn couplers and a couple boxes if you would like to try to convert it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you "collecting" these as collector items, or are you just accumulating them to make a model train set to run and have fun with? I ask because swapping the couplers from the original horn hook to Kadee would ruin any collector's value they might have.

Second question is if the Bachmann locomotives were purchased new or 2nd hand? The photo really looks like Kadees were added by the prior owner. Most new Bachmann equipment would come with McHenry couplers. McHenry's are also knuckle couplers and look similar but are made of plastic. I ask because if a prior owner performed a conversion, then they have modified the factory mounting and used a Kadee #37 undershank coupler. It would be hard to go back to the horn hooks. Here is the official conversion from the Kadee site - https://kadee.com/conv/pdf/b10.pdf

EDIT P.S.
You know, ... now that I went back and stared at that conversion diagram again, it might not be all that hard to convert back. All they have really done (if this is indeed what they did) is to file off the built in coupler box and mounting pin. The new screw replaces the mounting pin. One could replace the copuler box with a Kadee standard and mount the horn hook with a washer (to keep it centered on the screw). I could send you the horn couplers and a couple boxes if you would like to try to convert it back.

PM sent, thank you!

Thank You for the help

So far you've all been very helpful, I really appreciate it. I'll take the coupler apart later on today and post detailed pictures that should help identify exactly what Kaydee style coupler is on there now.

BTW there's no "Y" in Kadee. If you use it to search on the web you may not find Kadee.
True, didn't catch that.

Here's a picture of the Kadee style that I'd like to switch to the horn style like the rest of my train set.

Attachments

• IMG_2616.jpg
    IMG_2616.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_2617.jpg
    IMG_2617.jpg
    522 KB · Views: 202
Here's a picture of the Kadee style that I'd like to switch to the horn style like the rest of my train set.
Looking at that picture the horn hooks will probably just drop in. I was assuming someone had done the full Kadee conversion, so this diagram is probably a moot point.
coupler.jpg

Honestly, that looks pretty much like a stock Bachmann E-Z coupler. Hard to tell from the picture, but does it have a small spring that holds the clasp closed, or is it sliver of plastic that acts like a spring?

I am nearly at the end of converting all of my rolling stock over to the knuckle style couplers. They simply perform so much better than the horn/hooks. I'll admit that this is my personal opinion, but it seems to be shared with many others.

If you do end up going with the horn/hooks, and need some more, drop me a PM and I'll drop some in an envelope for you.

Back