Newbie with a difference

lavenlaar

G'day all

Newbie into RR but always had a HO kit sets as a kid, now that my boy is getting at a decent age that he has interest in trains and cars.
I have been into slotcars 1:32 scale for a years and just seems a natural progression to incorporate the 2 !
The rail will be On30 (closest to 1:32 on a budget)

Look for the build thread in O Scale Topic.

Cheers
Brendan

Welcome aboard, Brendan. 1:32 scale slotcars are quite an investment. I'll be interested to see how you combine that with trains.

I have been into slotcars 1:32 scale for a years and just seems a natural progression to incorporate the 2 !
The rail will be On30 (closest to 1:32 on a budget)
I would think that narrow-narrow gauge would look funny next to such large automobiles. And that is not to mention anacronistic as a wooden buck board and horses would look more appropriate next to the On30 equipment.

With all the sales I've been seeing on g-gauge track, I would think it might be wise to just go straight to actual 1:32 scale or #1 gauge which runs on g-gauge track. OR with all the sales on the Aristo Craft stuff use that same g-gauge track for 1:29 scale. A much better fit both general size wise and time era wise.

My local hobby store (Caboose Hobbies in Denver) just had such a good sale on the 1:29 stuff (60-70% off) that I almost started a new scale. Somehow I resisted the GN Alco FAB set for $150 and a U28B for something like $120. You might want to check and see if they have any left. They are also one of the ones that had Piko track on sale for 50% off. I believe Trainworld in Brookland NY is one of the others.

Hi Brenden, [I knew a fellow with your name from Freno/Madera, Ca]

Glad to have you with the group, you should enjoy it here!

On30 is really nice and does follow the Narrow Gauge protype fairly closely. A lot of guy are going to that but the main thing you have to consider is the space you have and what will fit in best?

Scale model railroading and slot cars, IMHO don't really mix unless your very modern as as you say large. It seems by your decision your thinking is to go with the earlier 1900's theme. That's what I chose as I love the earlier Trussrod equipment.

If you do go with On30 remember that to looik prototypical you will need to use On30 rail
due to the wider ties and bigger tie spacing.

Talk with you later,

David

Back