Newbie to this world of model trains

rupy

Rupy
Hi,This is Rupy from India,presently located in Colombo.I have just stepped into the world of model trains and have bought a Roco/Fleishmann HO 4-4-0 Steam Locomotive S KPEV with fitted decoder and sound.The electrical system is AC.Please guide me in setting up a small loop to start with (track/controller etc)to get this thing moving for a start-Thanks.

Greetings and welcome to the site.

I apologize in advance that I can't assist with your question as I'm a DC only modeler.

Hi,This is Rupy from India,presently located in Colombo.I have just stepped into the world of model trains and have bought a Roco/Fleishmann HO 4-4-0 Steam Locomotive S KPEV with fitted decoder and sound.The electrical system is AC.Please guide me in setting up a small loop to start with (track/controller etc)to get this thing moving for a start-Thanks.
Hi, Rupy. Welcome!
When you say the electrical system is AC, is that the source that you plug your lamps, appliances, etc., into in the wall? If so, what is the AC voltage and cyclic rate? For DCC systems you would need 110-120 volts 60 cycle. I understand (no experience with it) that European AC is 220 v 50 cycle, which need a converter for American appliances. Once you have that problem straightened out, you need a DCC system. I recommend the NCE Power Cab system, but there are others. You can look up some at the William K. Walthers websight. IF the locomotive's decoder is of the "dual" type (will run on DC or DCC), then you might be able to use a 12v battery, but I don't know if that would be enough to get the locomotive running. Most of the dual decoders require at least 6 or 8 volts to actually start moving. Best of luck!
Stay well!

Hi, Rupy. Welcome!
When you say the electrical system is AC, is that the source that you plug your lamps, appliances, etc., into in the wall? If so, what is the AC voltage and cyclic rate? For DCC systems you would need 110-120 volts 60 cycle. I understand (no experience with it) that European AC is 220 v 50 cycle, which need a converter for American appliances. Once you have that problem straightened out, you need a DCC system. I recommend the NCE Power Cab system, but there are others. You can look up some at the William K. Walthers websight. IF the locomotive's decoder is of the "dual" type (will run on DC or DCC), then you might be able to use a 12v battery, but I don't know if that would be enough to get the locomotive running. Most of the dual decoders require at least 6 or 8 volts to actually start moving. Best of luck!
Stay well!
Thanks for the details.

Ihave bought a Roco/Fleishmann HO 4-4-0 Steam Locomotive S KPEV with fitted decoder and sound.The electrical system is AC.
You mean this one? It looks great.
1610664699841.png

Please guide me in setting up a small loop to start with (track/controller etc)to get this thing moving for a start-Thanks.
If that is the locomotive it has a Motorola decoder in it. And if that is true it it works on the Marklin Digital control system. There are several different controllers out there for that. One of the latest is the Roco Z21. I would look to u-tube for videos about it. Controller hook up should be easy. There will probably be some power supply that plugs into the wall, two wires to the control unit, two wires to the track.

I don't think it runs on USA DCC digital standard.

Track is another issue. I cannot tell if this loco runs on 2 rail Roco track or if it runs on the Marklin center stud track. Roco makes locomotives for all variants of track type and control. There should be some instructions with it that have this specific and needed information about your specific model.

Last edited:
When you say the electrical system is AC, is that the source that you plug your lamps, appliances, etc., into in the wall?
No, he means the actual specs on the locomotive. As near as I can tell it won't run on DC or DCC. Notice is says nothing about 2 or three rail power pick up.

Roco/Fleischmann HO 4-4-0 Steam Locomotive S 6 K.P.E.V. with Fitted Decoder and Sound

Specs:
Gauge: HO
Electrical System: AC
Axles with Traction Tyres: 2
Number of Driven Axles: 2
Couplings: NEM 362 with KK-kinematics
Flywheel: Yes
LED Lighting: Yes (alternating with direction)
Motor: 5 pole
Decoder: Yes
Decoder Mode: Motorola

You mean this one? It looks great.
View attachment 123234

If that is the locomotive it has a Motorola decoder in it. And if that is true it it works on the Marklin Digital control system. There are several different controllers out there for that. One of the latest is the Roco Z21. I would look to u-tube for videos about it. Controller hook up should be easy. There will probably be some power supply that plugs into the wall, two wires to the control unit, two wires to the track.

I don't think it runs on USA DCC digital standard.

Track is another issue. I cannot tell if this loco runs on 2 rail Roco track or if it runs on the Marklin center stud track. Roco makes locomotives for all variants of track type and control. There should be some instructions with it that have this specific and needed information about your specific model.
Thanks so much for your guidance.Yes it has a Marklin/Motorola decoder and is designed to run on a 3 rail ac track.Could you tell me how to get the basics just for a small loop.

No, he means the actual specs on the locomotive. As near as I can tell it won't run on DC or DCC. Notice is says nothing about 2 or three rail power pick up.

Roco/Fleischmann HO 4-4-0 Steam Locomotive S 6 K.P.E.V. with Fitted Decoder and Sound

Specs:
Gauge: HO
Electrical System: AC
Axles with Traction Tyres: 2
Number of Driven Axles: 2
Couplings: NEM 362 with KK-kinematics
Flywheel: Yes
LED Lighting: Yes (alternating with direction)
Motor: 5 pole
Decoder: Yes
Decoder Mode: Motorola
Thanks a ton.It runs on a 3 rail track system-ac.

Thanks so much for your guidance.Yes it has a Marklin/Motorola decoder and is designed to run on a 3 rail ac track.Could you tell me how to get the basics just for a small loop.
Unfortunately the Marklin system is not highly used here in the USA. I know very little about the system, does it say anywhere if it can run on straight AC or does it have to have the digital controller?

As for track itself there should be some specification that says the tightest curve the locomotive can go around. I think Marklin uses designations like Radius 1, 2, 3, ... Often just abbreviated, for example R3. So one would have to make sure the curved track you get has a higher R than the minimum specified.

Unfortunately the Marklin system is not highly used here in the USA. I know very little about the system, does it say anywhere if it can run on straight AC or does it have to have the digital controller?

As for track itself there should be some specification that says the tightest curve the locomotive can go around. I think Marklin uses designations like Radius 1, 2, 3, ... Often just abbreviated, for example R3. So one would have to make sure the curved track you get has a higher R than the minimum specified.
Thanks so much.

Could you let me know if this Marklin controller could control my engine-
Märklin Mobile Station Digital Train Controller, Maerklin systems

Could you let me know if this Marklin controller could control my engine-
Märklin Mobile Station Digital Train Controller, Maerklin systems
I believe so, looks like there are several different models. but I am asking the folks at the museum to see if anyone knows for certain. Plus I keep hoping a Marklin user will jump in here. I am seeing advertisements for a Marklin digital starter set #29000 that looks promising. Has the controller and track with R2 curves.

I believe so, looks like there are several different models. but I am asking the folks at the museum to see if anyone knows for certain. Plus I keep hoping a Marklin user will jump in here. I am seeing advertisements for a Marklin digital starter set #29000 that looks promising. Has the controller and track with R2 curves.
it is only the controller.

Back