Newbie seeking info on L&N, Seaboard in north Florida

FLPanhandler

Hi all, I'm new to the forums (they were recommended by someone at Trains.com). I've started work on a bedroom size layout modeling the L&N and the Seaboard Air Line in north Florida in the early 50s. I'm just wondering if anyone here is knowledgeable about these railroads in Florida, as I have a ton of questions!

I'll start with one longshot: is anyone aware of major industries between Tallahassee and Pensacola served by these lines in the early 50s? The only one I'm aware of is the Florida Gravel Co. on the Apalachicola River. I know that logging was big in this area in the 1800s/early 1900s, but I think it had wound down by the 50s.

Check out my progress on the layout at: http://longleaf-rails.blogspot.com/

Thanks for any info...

Not much of a fan here myself, but I know someone who might be of some help, I'll refer the thread to him when I see him online on MSN messenger.

Steve B said:
Josh is it Harold

this is the link to Harolds web site
http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/
No no, someone besides that, not sure is he's a member here, or only on RRF his name is Harvey. I can't remember what his user name was on RRF, usualy only talk to him on MSN. Should be on some time tonight or tomorrow. Local Floridian, I know in the past he's mentoned liking Seaboard units...

I will have to check my books on L&N and Seaboard, but if I had to guess, both roads served pulpwood mills,rock quarries,etc. Also,what era are you modeling? Steam,Steam to Diesel,or Modern Diesel? I'll do what I can to help.William. I too model L&N,some Seaboard,and Southern.

Ran into him online, says he knows little to nothing about panhandle area stuff. Said you probly know more then him.

L&N Castle said:
I will have to check my books on L&N and Seaboard, but if I had to guess, both roads served pulpwood mills,rock quarries,etc. Also,what era are you modeling? Steam,Steam to Diesel,or Modern Diesel? I'll do what I can to help.William. I too model L&N,some Seaboard,and Southern.

Thanks for the info. Pulpwood sounds reasonable, since that's still an active industry today. I'm planning to model early 50s so I can include both steam and diesel.

Back