Newbie Quick Questions

I went out and got Model Railroader (Sept.2014) which incl. a booklet "Workshop Tips: Design Your Own Track Plan" by Andy Sperandeo, which has the following bibliography (DP= David Popp; JA=John Armstrong; JW = Jeff Wilson; TK=Tony Koester):

1) Model Railroading from Prototype to Layout (TK) [anecdotal(?); not "how to"]
2) Modeling the '50s, The Glory Years of Rail (MR Staff) [Model Railroader 'zine article reprints?]
3) The Model Railroader's Guide to Coal Railroading (TK)
4) *The Model Railroader's Guide to Industries Along the Track (JW, four vols.)
5) *Realistic Model Railroad Operations, 2nd Ed. (TK) [Model Railroader 'zine article reprints?; re: group operating session]
6) *Realistic Model Railroad Design (TK)
7) **Track Planning for Realistic Operation, 3rd Ed. (JA)
8) Building a Model Railroad Step by Step, 2nd Ed. (DP) [re: N scale]

I also went to Amazon to check out what looks interesting for my model RR library and came across the following:

9) How To Build A Modern Era Switching Layout (Lance Mindheim)
10) *How To Operate A Modern Era Switching Layout (Lance Mindheim)
11) Basic Structure Modeling for Model Railroaders (Terry Thompson & JW) [re: assembling store bought kits]
12) *Basic Model Railroad Benchwork (JW)
14) How to Build Model Railroad Benchwork, 2nd. Ed. (Linn Wescott) [doesn't cover modular or foamboard techniques]

I already considered the advice from the Forum re: DCC and left off books on that subject which, by the way, Amazon reviews tend to support that decision. I also didn't list any general "Intro" to model RR books or books re: scenery on purpose.

Placed an * next to those that seem to be good for me to consider (and a ** next to #7 because it seems to cover what I'm most focused on right now).

My local library doesn't carry any model railroad books! The only train store nearby has 'zines but only about 5 diff. books...1-2 copies each. I can request an inter-library loan but if any of you have opinions on these, esp. my *'d ones, I'd be less hesitant about ordering them.

Received, 6) *Realistic Model Railroad Design (TK), 7) **Track Planning for Realistic Operation, 3rd Ed. (JA), as well as, The Model Railroader's Guide to Freight Yards, by Andy Sperandeo, and How To Design a Small Switching Layout by Lance Mindheim (this last one ordered by mistake).

- I read Mindheim's 61pp, large font picture book. It's basically a "blog" about a 10'x10'x18" 'L'-shaped HO shelf layout. Nicely done but not very 'filling'....pd. for much more. Done with it.
- Also read Track Planning for Realistic Operation, 3rd Ed. by John Armstrong once through and then went back over the blue highlighted Fig.'s which require some thinking. Definitely going to keep this one avail. for re-reads...so much useful material to remember. This one covers the subject of my concerns re: operations.
- Skimmed through Realistic Model Railroad Design by Tony Koester, beautiful photography of prototypes. Tony's writing 'voice' and my thinking 'voice' seem similar, as is our vocabulary and attitude. I think I'm going to enjoy reading this one.
- Flipped pages of The Model Railroader's Guide to Freight Yards, by Andy Sperandeo to check out the pics...nothing jumped-out to grab my attention.

The Length Of Things

I've been reading a lot and am noticing a "blind spot" in often repeated material...the length of things.
For example, one might read any of the following:

- "it's better to space turnouts approx. one engine length apart" (okay, but, if I'm running diesels, what's "one engine length"?)
- "to avoid S-curve problems, a length of straight track between curves...." (how long a straight track? longest rolling stock length? half that? and how long would that be?)
- any numerous discussion re: 'engines on curves' in which the curve should accommodate (ie) '0-4-0 vs 2-12-0' or '2-axle vs 3-axle' diesels/electrics....and according to wheel diameters and spacing of wheel trucks (understood...so what actual truck lengths/spacing/dimensions are we talking about?)

I've searched the internet for schematic diagrams of models but haven't found any. Is this one of those 'newbie' questions that becomes obvious at some point? Where's that point? After buying engines and rolling stock?

Back