Newbie needs help!

Ironman

Hi guys, I'm one of those guys that always wanted a train as a kid but never had one. Now that I'm at an age where I can have whatever I want, I've decided to buy my first train set. Seriously though, I'm about to open a 3000 sq. ft. restaurant and have the perfect ledge to allow me to run a layout that will traverse the entire room at eleven feet off the ground. I'm looking at an 0 Gauge Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer 0-8-0. The 036 curves will make the turns I need and the rest is straight and flat for a total of nearly 200'. My question is will the standard transformer power the train that far? Should I run multiple engines or go with a different train altogether. I've been pouring through web pages but thought I would go directly to the experts. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

At eleven feet off the floor the trains aren't going to be to visible.
I would recommend ya go with G scale. Big enough to be readily recognizable to the customers.
I would also recommend a minimal front edge protection to keep trains from falling off the shelf into someone's bowl of soup. Instead of a solid type wall or a Plexiglas wall that yellows over time, perhaps a simple fence of sorts using dowel rods for uprights and longer dowel rods for the fencing.

G scale track is available in flex track. I have some of it myself up on top of my kitchen cabinets.

IMG_6193.JPG

As I don't see any responses to your actual question....

My question is will the standard transformer power the train that far?
the standard transformer is fine. The problem is the track. 100' is too far for the rails to carry power. You will need copper wires (probably 14 gauge) from the transformer parallel to the track with several jumpers (feeds) to the track around the loop. On a 200 foot loop, with one set of wires the train is at most 100' from that power. With two feeds placed 1/2 way through the loop the distance to power is only 50'. etc. I would recommend 8 power feeds and the train will never be more than 12.5' away from power.

If one ends up with a problem power spot it is then easy enough to add an additional feed from power to track.

Should I run multiple engines or go with a different train altogether.
Do you mean at the same time? Multiple engines or multiple trains will require more power and possibly exceed the capacity of a standard transformer.

Multiple trains on a single track requires constant monitoring of the trains, or special electronics, to keep them from running into one another.

Last edited:
An aside...

I have considered guardrails at least on the curves but I'm not sure the G scale would make the turns.
G-gauge has sectional track in many-many sizes of curves from 1200 mm (measured in diameter designated R1) which is about 24" radius to up to at least 20'.

Hi guys, I'm one of those guys that always wanted a train as a kid but never had one. Now that I'm at an age where I can have whatever I want, I've decided to buy my first train set. Seriously though, I'm about to open a 3000 sq. ft. restaurant and have the perfect ledge to allow me to run a layout that will traverse the entire room at eleven feet off the ground. I'm looking at an 0 Gauge Lionel Pennsylvania Flyer 0-8-0. The 036 curves will make the turns I need and the rest is straight and flat for a total of nearly 200'. My question is will the standard transformer power the train that far? Should I run multiple engines or go with a different train altogether. I've been pouring through web pages but thought I would go directly to the experts. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
And a few other things to think about, in addition to what has already been mentioned by others...........................

Track with molded-in plastic roadbed (such as Lionel FasTrack) tends to be fairly noisy when running trains on it. The plastic roadbed acts as a hollow drum, amplifying the noise of the trains. If you want to minimize train noise in your restaurant, you may wish to consider using track with no plastic roadbed. In O-gauge, good old tubular track tends to be fairly quiet compared to everything else. You can get good used Lionel track from a variety of on-line sources, or you can also get nice reproduction O-31 tubular track from Menard's quite reasonable. 10" and 30" straights are offered, along with curve sizes O31, O36, O42, O54, O72, and O96.

Maintenance: You'll probably want 2 or 3 locomotives bare minimum, so you can always have something to run while the others are in for maintenance and lubrication, or in case one croaks entirely. Check the cars weekly for wear and give the axle ends a drop of oil. Dust and vacuum the track weekly or as needed. Clean the tops of the rails while you're at it.

As I don't see any responses to your actual question....

the standard transformer is fine. The problem is the track. 100' is too far for the rails to carry power. You will need copper wires (probably 14 gauge) from the transformer parallel to the track with several jumpers (feeds) to the track around the loop. On a 200 foot loop, with one set of wires the train is at most 100' from that power. With two feeds placed 1/2 way through the loop the distance to power is only 50'. etc. I would recommend 8 power feeds and the train will never be more than 12.5' away from power.

If one ends up with a problem power spot it is then easy enough to add an additional feed from power to track.

Do you mean at the same time? Multiple engines or multiple trains will require more power and possibly exceed the capacity of a standard transformer.

Multiple trains on a single track requires constant monitoring of the trains, or special electronics, to keep them from running into one another.

Thank you, someone finally addressed the question I asked. That's very helpful! I just found out there are two model railroad museums a couple of hours from me. I will definitely be making a trip over to get more education.

And a few other things to think about, in addition to what has already been mentioned by others...........................

Track with molded-in plastic roadbed (such as Lionel FasTrack) tends to be fairly noisy when running trains on it. The plastic roadbed acts as a hollow drum, amplifying the noise of the trains. If you want to minimize train noise in your restaurant, you may wish to consider using track with no plastic roadbed. In O-gauge, good old tubular track tends to be fairly quiet compared to everything else. You can get good used Lionel track from a variety of on-line sources, or you can also get nice reproduction O-31 tubular track from Menard's quite reasonable. 10" and 30" straights are offered, along with curve sizes O31, O36, O42, O54, O72, and O96.

Maintenance: You'll probably want 2 or 3 locomotives bare minimum, so you can always have something to run while the others are in for maintenance and lubrication, or in case one croaks entirely. Check the cars weekly for wear and give the axle ends a drop of oil. Dust and vacuum the track weekly or as needed. Clean the tops of the rails while you're at it.

Thank you very much.

This is very true. Personally I mainly use the Atlas 21st Century track (not the Atlas Industrial Track), but it is way more expensive than the tubular track.

Back