Newbie just saying hello!

B&M1065

Last stop - North Station
Just wanted to introduce myself!!! My son and I are currently working on an N-Scale layout (Woodland Scenics - Scenic Ridge), and I thought this site would be a great place for us to get ideas and advice! We are going to try and keep it in a Boston & Maine theme. Looking forward to many great discussions!!

Welcome to the forum. There's lots of friendly, knowledgeable people here to help you on your way. Ron

Greetings & welcome!

So you're doing B&M in N scale, cool! Any particular era?

1950's...always been my favorite era in model railroads...I have to keep telling my son that we really don't need an Amtrak train...it won't "fit" with the set....

Of course there was one just inside the door at the train show we went to today! :mad:

Hey Mike,
Welcome aboard. Get some pix of your layout up so we all can enjoy it.

DSCN0608.JPG

DSCN0615.JPG

You chose a good forum.

Hi Mike & Son,

Welcome, I'm sure you'll get all the answers you need for us so as was stated
before feel free to ask.

I'll bet your son is going to enjoy his new layout. :D

David

Hey there, welcome to the forum. Looks like you two have gotten pretty darn far already!

Looks like the boy is gonna be the boss!!!.. You better let him run the Amtrak when you can....We have a club layout that's done in the 50s and when we're not doing open house shows we "run whatca brung"... How do you like the layout so far?? I was thinking of getting one for a small set up. How is the track plan?...Does it offer some switching operations? for industries? (Just curious) I know its a small layout but do you think it will satisfy your running without just being loop-de-loop? Also, welcome to the forum!

Hello, Mike & Son, Ltd. :D Welcome to arguably the best model railroad forum there is. We keep the made-up stuff to a minimum, but we all admit it contributes a lot of laughs around here. Some of our modelling results aren't too far behind. :rolleyes:

Looks like the boy is gonna be the boss!!!.. You better let him run the Amtrak when you can....We have a club layout that's done in the 50s and when we're not doing open house shows we "run whatca brung"... How do you like the layout so far?? I was thinking of getting one for a small set up. How is the track plan?...Does it offer some switching operations? for industries? (Just curious) I know its a small layout but do you think it will satisfy your running without just being loop-de-loop? Also, welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the welcome. He always tries to be the boss....:D
There is one switch line with a dead-end track for setting up cars. I am planning on modifying the layout somewhat, to allow for some things that the BOSS keeps asking for!!!

The new layout!

Hi Mike,
I was going to suggest a passing siding but I see that has been figured in along with a spur off of it. I can also see where it's possible to place a switch
in the line comming toward the front from the center tunnel and possibly even
include a second switch off that line in the center area for a couple of spur tracks and a couple of business for some added interest such as a freight station etc. It will be interesting to see what you come up with??

Looks like a fairly interesting layout with a fair amount of possibilities.

I'd like to ask a question so I know for any of my customers who might be interested in a layout like that, I'm just getting a small RR supply business going again in Ca, is there any provision made in the foam walls to allow access to the track under the mountain areas? I would think there wold have to be but it's very hard to tell from any of the pictures I seen. Your help would appreciated. If I can possible be of any help to you please feel free to contact me.

Have fun, I know your son should be thrilled, you too I imagine.
Ps: I'm in HO and model steam around the turn of the Century 1900's and love the Trussrod equipment and smaller steam loco's and early diesel's. I'm also working on building a new layout myself, I've been involved in model RR for over 55 years now as have many others here on the forum too so there's a wealth of knowledge to be had, just ask if your inclined!

TIA

Thanks for the welcome. He always tries to be the boss....:D
There is one switch line with a dead-end track for setting up cars. I am planning on modifying the layout somewhat, to allow for some things that the BOSS keeps asking for!!!

I'd like to ask a question so I know for any of my customers who might be interested in a layout like that, I'm just getting a small RR supply business going again in Ca, is there any provision made in the foam walls to allow access to the track under the mountain areas? I would think there wold have to be but it's very hard to tell from any of the pictures I seen. Your help would appreciated. If I can possible be of any help to you please feel free to contact me.
TIA

There will be an access hole in the back of the mountain (to allow access to the track) , on the left rear side. I will take a picture of that area after it is made.

Hi Mike,
New member here too so welcome. Looks like you're using the Woodland Scenics foam layout kit, which makes it really easy to get a layout up and running. So much easier than the last one I built 25 years agao. You'll outgrow it but it will be fun for now and it's pretty easy to modify - just take a knife and rasp and have at it. :)

Back