"Newbie" Guidance Requested

I am considering getting into scale railroading and would appreciate some guidance.

I have what I suspect are extremely conflicting criteria but I don't know what is going to be of more significance amoung those. If I pursue this am debating between HO and N-gauge. As I see it, the pluses and minuses are as follows:

Space: N-gauge is smaller and therefore requires less space (an important consideration in my circumstances).

Livery: My interest would be primarily in the Alaska RailRoad. It seems that rolling stock for this RR is rather limited in either scale, but perhaps more so in the N-gauge.

Customization: I know kits are available for HO rolling stock. This would seem to simplify customizing options to convert non-AKRR pieces to AKRR. Also, in providing a larger canvas with which to work, HO would seem to provide a better option for modifying ready-to-roll pieces from non-AKRR pieces to AKRR.

Price: Also a consideration, it seems that overall N-gauge is slightly less expensive then HO, though not significantly. And given the lack of AKRR products and the potential need for customization beyond what HO may require, the apparent savings may be non-existent in the end.

Have I missed anything? Looking forward to your comments/thoughts/recommendations.

Thank you.

One factor to consider: How are your eyes and hands?
N scale is roughly half the size of HO, and working on something that small requires good eyes (or a lighted magnifier) and steady hands. I tried to change out the Rapido couplers on an N scale 0-6-0. I got one done and realized "This ain't for me!" So if you have the steadiness and eyesight for N scale, there's nothing wrong with that scale. Otherwise, you might want to go with HO.

N scale is roughly half the size of HO, and working on something that small requires good eyes (or a lighted magnifier) and steady hands. I tried to change out the Rapido couplers on an N scale 0-6-0. I got one done and realized "This ain't for me!" So if you have the steadiness and eyesight for N scale, there's nothing wrong with that scale. Otherwise, you might want to go with HO.
Not as good as they used to be, that's for sure. So, keeping this in mind, you've just scored a couple of runs for HO. On the other hand, you also scored a couple runs for N-gauge, not because the size makes it more difficult on which to do work but for the pointing out the fact of being half the size of HO, which means I can get four times the layout in same area as an HO layout.

So, it's still anybody's ball game.

Another question I just thought of: What is available in the way of decal sheets/transfer sheets for remarking N-gauge equipment? Since I am interested in the AKRR and there may be limited equipment options there, that will be a consideration either way. When I was at the local model rr store the other day I know I saw decal sheets/transfer sheets for HO (not specifically for the AKRR, but at least for HO) but didn't see anything for N-gauge. Are such things available?

Yes they are. I would suggest that you check out Microscale decals website.

http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT

They offer thousands of decals in the three major scales, but not all decals are available in all scales.

This is just one of many companies that offer decals. These are slide on decals, meaning they are wetted in water to dissolve the adhesive and are slid into place on to the model. A search for "model railroad decals" will give you many of the manufacturers.

There is another type, known as dry transfers. These are applied by rubbing the transfer with a pencil, or a special burnisher tool. There is not as many dry transfers available as the water slide decals. A similar search will give you many of those manufacturers as well. Woodland Senics is one of the suppliers for this media.

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/DecalsGraphics

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided right away N scale was best for me......but I'm not into super detail or a specific time or railroad. More into sheer numbers of rolling stock and locomotives, and size of layout. Impressed by how the dynamics of long N scale trains are similar enough to real trains to be very much fun. Have no problem getting engines and cars on the track without a railer ramp. In spite of the small size.....as far as running trains N scale functions (works) very well.....and my cheap atlas code 80 switches work great so far with 30+ car trains barreling though them at high speeds or crawling slow. A couple older locomotives with big wheel flanges bounce through these switches but don't derail.

I should add that I have at least one friend who does great detail work, painting and decals in N scale. Check out the fine work of "nmaniac" in the many photos of painted GHQ vehicle kits and rolling stock on this thread if you are interested.

http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27390

Mike

Yes they are. I would suggest that you check out Microscale decals website.
Thanks for the info. Yea, being a former plastic modeller (no great accomplishments other than a lot of enjoyable time spent and a few cuts from Exacto knives and such) I am all too aware that not everything is available in every scale. But at least this gives me a starting point for research. And I suppose...worse case scenario, I could always bit the bullet and pay someone for that special piece. :eek:

I decided right away N scale was best for me......but I'm not into super detail or a specific time or railroad.
Well, I am not anticipating being into super detail or a specific time either, but I'm rather set on the AKRR. Home town team and all, ya know. ;)

I looked at the work of your friend at the link you provided. Wow!! He coulda worked in Hollywood...at least while they were still using real models, before they started modelling everything in computers.

I decided right away N scale was best for me
Maybe you can advise: There is a listing on eBay for the active engine, the dummy and cars from the Bachmann McKinley Explorer set. Current price is just under $40, plus about $15 shipping. I was thinking about trying to win the auction on that, but now I'm thinking that the current price is about as high as it should after subtracting out the price of the controller and the track (and whatever else comes with the package). Am I right in thinking that at this point I would be better off going with the complete factory packaged set for about $90 plus shipping?

Thanks.

Maybe you can advise: There is a listing on eBay for the active engine, the dummy and cars from the Bachmann McKinley Explorer set. Current price is just under $40, plus about $15 shipping. I was thinking about trying to win the auction on that, but now I'm thinking that the current price is about as high as it should after subtracting out the price of the controller and the track (and whatever else comes with the package). Am I right in thinking that at this point I would be better off going with the complete factory packaged set for about $90 plus shipping?

Thanks.
I would get the whole NEW set. Here is a link to it on amazon.com. The locomotive in this set will not have the quality of an atlas or kato.......but you can't beat the price and it has everything in one box. I've never had experience with a Bachmann set myself. It appears to have some decent reviews. It has knuckle couplers which is good. One of their better looking N scale sets.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006KQHLK...and=1427942197401292711&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

I hadn't seen that listing. Saw one that linked to external seller T&K Hobby. A few dollars less but that difference would be offset by the shipping charges. Given that, I would probably use T&K or my local shop for scenery and such (wish the local shop was more competitively priced on the Denali Explorer kit -- I refuse to use the name McKinley 'cuz that just simply isn't the proper name for the mountain even though that might be the "official" name), but for something like this package where there is a possibility of a defective item that prohibits the use of the product, I'll go with Amazon 'cuz under those circumstances the return shipping costs are covered by Amazon, not my wallet.

Regarding the quality of Bachmann, I don't know anything about their electronic or mechanical components but... I saw one of this specific set in a box the other day. It was up on the wall at arms reach but even there I could see that the quality of the moulding on the engine was not the quality of other products I saw at the same time (I think the other products were all Atlas engines although there may have been some others..I was too dazzled to notice). Just not as distinct along the edges of things, too rounded too look proper for the scale was my thought. But in this particular case, the goal is to get started and worry about other things as time and money (especially money) allow.

If you get the bachmann set......one thing I've noticed is most of the local hobby shops in my area and at many garage sales are boxes of old N scale bachmann easy track with remnants of well worn locomotos and railcars. They usually don't ask much $ for them.....so you might be on the lookout for this and you could add more track and cars if you're wanting to expand.

I use atlas code 80 snap track, which is also readily available and relatively cheap......but I'm going to give the bachmann stuff a second look next time and maybe get some if the price is next to nothing anyway. You can never have too much used N scale stuff hoarded for potential re-sale or gifts or making a giant layout....I always say. :)

Mike

If you get the bachmann set......one thing I've noticed is most of the local hobby shops in my area and at many garage sales are boxes of old N scale bachmann easy track with remnants of well worn locomotos and railcars. They usually don't ask much $ for them.....so you might be on the lookout for this and you could add more track and cars if you're wanting to expand.

I use atlas code 80 snap track, which is also readily available and relatively cheap......but I'm going to give the bachmann stuff a second look next time and maybe get some if the price is next to nothing anyway. You can never have too much used N scale stuff hoarded for potential re-sale or gifts or making a giant layout....I always say. :)

Mike
Hmm. And I suppose there's always Craig's List, although my experience with Craig's List of Thieves is that there are more scams on there then there are legitimate listings. :eek:

Back