Newbie Forum - HO amateur hour :}

D940CW

Hi Fellow Model Railroaders! I'm brand new here just moments out of the production line :)

I have purchase about 600$ worth of random items (a few locos, about 10 rolling stock cars, and two or three track kits) from ebay. They are all in the mail. I did buy one cheap BNSF rail chief kit from hobby lobby ha ha as a starter, but its still in the box. So I'm reaching out to this place as a recommendation from one of the people I bought off of in ebay. I have no idea where to begin.

I've got a few tables in my small apartment (I'm single, and plan on turning my apartment into a HO scale dominated layout) that I intend to use. Mostly my initial thoughts are to create a yard and a mainline travelling from the yard across my living room then a small loop back to the yard. But again, Please bear with me on here because I'm brand new and I don't know how anything works! I know I need to wire the track somehow for power, but that's about the extent of it. I'm fairly creative and crafty and can use a sodering gun (don't own one yet).

I would appreciate any good resources and advice and hope to make some good friends on here :)

I've got a KATO D9 and a few older EMD (junkier cheap models) 4 axle locomotives on the way. I only have the one power module that comes with the cheap bachman BNSF railchief kit. I'm open to purchasing some quality wiring modules .

OK enough rambling. And thank you for the time :) Much appreciated! Any and all comments welcome! Happy Holidays!

first off welcome , second how are you with a saw ??? since your single you can build benchwork, just modules that are freestanding so when you move you can break them down & take them with you'
& do you mean kato sd-9?? interms of power pack you can pick them up cheap.

OK, so I think I have my work cut out for me creating a layout from wood. Any suggestions on what type ? I assume plywood, what thickness ? Also, I was assuming I would use make shift horses to support the sheets of wood ? Is that a good idea or should I create legs ?

Last night I set up the cheap bachman oval with a few rolling stock and the loco, and I'm so excited to get a real locomotive (The NS Dash 9 from KATO) and also get a bigger layout ! I can't wait!

About the power packs and wiring ? Is there any harm to throwing my new locomotive on the cheap bachman track ? Any risks of shorting something out ? (Sorry I'm new I've no idea what to do and what NOT to do).

I did get some track in the mail, but I have to get connectors. I'm thinking I'll stick with ebay because I can find good deals on there vs the local hobby shop. Any suggestions on what power packs to get would be appreciated. Also, first thing is first, I need to get those free standing modules up. so before I get ahead of myself I guess that's the first task.

I'm excited to get this up and running!

Thanks for all your help!

Hi there and welcome to the greatest hobby in the world! You should definately build some sort of free standing platform with its own legs, maybe something even collapsable so its easier to move if nee be. I went overkill on mine using 2x3 lumber to build my framework with 7/16 OSB overtop, but 1x4's for framing will do fine. I built mine in 2x8 foot sections so if I ever move then it will be fairly easy to take apart and move it all. One thing to consider is using pink or blue styrofoam overtop of the plywood, it will highly dampen the hollow drone noise that the plywood will make with a train running on it...and then you have some options to create divits and creeks etc for scenery. I used 1" foam, but prolly shoulda used 2".
Is the Kato unit a DC unit or a DCC unit? If its DC then a good starter might be a transformer from MRC, like a 2500 model or something. If it is DCC equipped (not DCC ready) then you will need to know if it is compatible with DC, and if not then you will be joining the DCC world very early on :)
Make sure your track is the same code (size, height of rail) so you wont have derailments everywhere and if you have 18" radius curves, your dash 9 might not like em that sharp. I have been using Atlas code 83 track for my whole layout and have found it great to work with. They make 22 and 24" radius curve pieces that will be much better for your dash 9. Also, try to go with #6 switches or bogger if you plan on using lots of big 6 axle loco's, less chance of a derailment.
How big of a layout are you planning on building? Are you wanting to model any specific railroad and era, or just all freelance for now?

the local hobby shop is where you can get a ton of personal advice on track ,powerpacks & such, you need to take a trip down there .

I think I need to slow down on buying crap from EBAY omg..... I bought about 4 auctions with a smorgishboard of track. I tried to get all nickel steel but just bought some brass. I really like the long peices of so called "flex track", hahaha I mean that's like using ribbon rail for my railroad instead of stick rail right ?? But it's expensive, but totally worth it I imagine. Do you have to soder those long flex pieces? I'll get a standard going here and just accumulate all one code of track.

The loco is DC only. I'm not opposed to DCC (I've no idea whatsoever what that even means).

Probably looking at a layout that will grow as I get experience and education and skill acutally getting the track laid and wired and operational. I have a 1 bedroom so nothing crazy ha ha but I can easily dedicate a 16ft by 6ft section, with long single/double/triple track straight sections branching out from it to a loop and back again. Thanks again for the info!

OK, so I think I have my work cut out for me creating a layout from wood. Any suggestions on what type ? I assume plywood, what thickness ? Also, I was assuming I would use make shift horses to support the sheets of wood ? Is that a good idea or should I create legs ?

Last night I set up the cheap bachman oval with a few rolling stock and the loco, and I'm so excited to get a real locomotive (The NS Dash 9 from KATO) and also get a bigger layout ! I can't wait!

About the power packs and wiring ? Is there any harm to throwing my new locomotive on the cheap bachman track ? Any risks of shorting something out ? (Sorry I'm new I've no idea what to do and what NOT to do).

I did get some track in the mail, but I have to get connectors. I'm thinking I'll stick with ebay because I can find good deals on there vs the local hobby shop. Any suggestions on what power packs to get would be appreciated. Also, first thing is first, I need to get those free standing modules up. so before I get ahead of myself I guess that's the first task.

I'm excited to get this up and running!

Thanks for all your help!

I would make one more suggestion for a "Free" resource and that is to subscribe to "Model Railroad Hobbyist" which is an on line magazine. All kinds of creative ideas for start ups. I don't know where you are located but if there are any train shows I would start paying them a visit. I don't mean to imply anything negative about E-Bay but if you can handle what you want to buy you will be much happier and better educated. Good luck.
Thanks
Wayne

Wow! Nice to see someone who is excited.

Sounds like you're on the right track so to speak. Ya have some tract together so you can enjoy yourself and you are building your layout.

This summer was when ai got back into things. Seems like every other week I buy something or other, assemble it, run the trains for awhilr and then go mail order something else the next week.

Do you have a kadee coupler gauge? That bugger probably did more to make my equipment reliable than anything else.

My advise would be to do lots of reading and research in this very forum, specially those relating to layouts and trackwork/wiring. You've come into the hobby in arguably it's best time. Decisions you make now regarding DC (Direct Current) or DCC (Digital Command Control) will be crucial. Do lots of study.

Wow! Nice to see someone who is excited.

Sounds like you're on the right track so to speak. Ya have some tract together so you can enjoy yourself and you are building your layout.

This summer was when ai got back into things. Seems like every other week I buy something or other, assemble it, run the trains for awhilr and then go mail order something else the next week.

Do you have a kadee coupler gauge? That bugger probably did more to make my equipment reliable than anything else.

Yes I'm so excited. The mailman brought me like 8 packages yesterday omg! I have not opened them yet, I feel like a kid at Christmas! I plan on making things work with what I got. Also being thrifty about it, as this hobby seems expensive! I got a little Christmas bonus and threw the whole thing at HO guage stuff :) Now I just have to get boards / wood for my layout. I have two makeshift tables setup now. I'll have to get a pic of some stuff once I get it all unboxed and some track thrown together.

Also, what is this kadee coupler guage you speak of ? What's it's purpose ?

Thank you!:)

My advise would be to do lots of reading and research in this very forum, specially those relating to layouts and trackwork/wiring. You've come into the hobby in arguably it's best time. Decisions you make now regarding DC (Direct Current) or DCC (Digital Command Control) will be crucial. Do lots of study.

Sounds good!
Is it possible to have a few DC operations mixed in my "layout" along with this DCC ??

My first task is to get a big flat surface that I can perhaps crawl under to get to other ends of it setup in my little apartment :D
Then I want to create a few different things, like a small yard, an engine house, and a long main with a siding. I know I'm way ahead of myself ! And this stuff sure isn't cheap! So I plan on making due with what I got so far.

I grew up in PA, about 5 minutes from the Horseshoe curve on NS's 3 track main. I love trains, and up until now I've just photographed them and chased them (the real thing). I live in DFW area now in TX.

Thanks again for any and all input, this is really helpful and your making me more excited to know I have people and resources to help!

Thanks! :)

Good to hear someone with enthusiasm! If you have a room where you can get right up next to at least three walls......you could build an around-the-room layout, using two feet deep modules made from lightweight thin plywood and cheap 1" x 3" pine/fir sticks. The modules make for easier moving if need be.

Going around the room/walls gives you a large layout......and keeping it to 24" inches deep allows you to have easy access and reach all areas for building, laying track, landscaping. Then you'll probably need to build a hinged lift-up bridge.....so you can get into and out of the center of the layout....and the room itself. You're in for alot of fun with this hobby!

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! A lot of stuff has already been answered for you, but I see no mention of DC & DCC differences so allow me to rectify that.

DC is simply a current applied to the rails which all locos on the track pick up. More volts applied = trains go faster. You probably already knew this one. :)

DCC sends a fixed voltage to the rails that all locos on the track pick up. "If the voltage is fixed, how do you control the speed?" I hear you yelling at your monitor. :) The voltage is sent to the rails in the form of a square wave alternating current with a dynamic frequency. By modulating the wave frequency the command station encodes a binary signal into the voltage, which is decoded by a DCC decoder located inside each of your locos. You assign each loco its own numerical address, and while each loco receives the DCC signal, a loco will only act upon it if the command station was "talking" to that loco. This means you can control your locos independently, and they'll just keep on doing whatever you told them to do until they receive a different order.

To simplify things a bit, a common saying is that with DC you control your track, with DCC you control your trains.

The biggest downside to DCC is that it costs a bit extra to have the decoder in every loco. A "bare-essentials" decoder can be had for $10-15, or up to around $40 for a more full-featured one. You can also get decoders that add sound starting at around the $100 mark, but this is a more advanced installation process that I wouldn't recommend for a newbie. The controller also costs a little more, usually around $150 for a good system.

To answer your question on compatibility, a DCC can be programmed to work on a DC-powered layout, but you lose all the DCC functionality (they will behave the same as a DC loco). In general a DC loco will NOT work on a DCC layout as they can't correctly read the square wave signal, and you can actually fry the motor in some older models by doing this. It's better to pick one or the other, not both.

http://www.gatewaynmra.org/

National Model Railroad Association

These are the guys that set the standards. They help new comers and build up their skills. Maybe think about joining them? Certainly check out their site.

Here's a nice website about one man's layout. Nothing too ambition so it is a good example for starting out.

http://www.newyorkcentralmodeling.com/

Come back to this forum when you run into problems. Plenty here willing to help.

Looks good. If you looking for a good base you could get a bunch of 1x4 space 12" on center and then use 2 edge pieces. I recommend foam board insulation for the base, it will make scenery easier to do (trees and lakes) probably the biggest tip from an amateur would be to buy the black foam tracked instead of the cork material it is 10x easier to use and dampens the vibration from trains. I run a 4x8 oval.

Looks like you have the steel track(black roadbed). I've had trouble with it over time that it oxidizes faster than nickel silver(gray roadbed), and you're trains won't run reliably over it, due to poor contact between the wheel and rail. Nickel silver costs more, but if you want to enjoy the hobby, the trains need to run reliably, without constant stopping due to dirty track.

I have been collecting HO track, engines and cars for a few years now. I have yet to lay the first piece of track in a permanent layout. I have taken my EZ track and made a few ovals in the basement for my grandson to see. My son-in-law was here over Christmas and he bugged me again to clear out a spot in the basement and start building. I have helped him with his small layout. This forum is a great place to get information and help in your endeavor. Keep the fire burning.

benchwork in progress

:)
Got two benches 2.5' x 8'. Got them with legs and wood tops. I need some advice on foam now. I got two big 4x8 sheets of blue foam (Dow) and am thinking how to glue it????? Liquid nails??

I spent about 100$ total on all materials for the tables and I have sheets of 1.5' x 8 of wood and foam leftover for other stuff :)

I assume I glue foam to the whole sheet covering the whole table top? Right???

Thanks and Happy new years. Also any other tips you can think of to enlighten me :) :) :) :)

Dash9

Back