Newbeee

NavyGrog

Hello everyone. I am really new to all of this. I was asked by my grandson to build him a trainset. I purchased the Woodland Scenics - Scenic Ridge Set with Atlas Sectional track. My first I am sure of lots of questions is, because the track is sectional, do I need to solder each piece together at the joints, or once the rails are joined, just give the little clip a squeeze with a pair of needle nose pliers.

My second question is, do I need to solder wires for each section of track and if not, how often should I?

Thanks everyone

Jim

I was asked by my grandson to build him a trainset.
Oh what fun.
I purchased the Woodland Scenics - Scenic Ridge Set with Atlas Sectional track. My first I am sure of lots of questions is, because the track is sectional, do I need to solder each piece together at the joints, or once the rails are joined, just give the little clip a squeeze with a pair of needle nose pliers.
Neither. In my opinion soldering is overkill, and makes fixing any issue really hard. Squeezing the rail joiners will actually make them looser. My mantra is put the joiner on exactly once and leave it. They will be quite tight if it is just pressed on once. If the track is disconnected consider using new joiners.

My second question is, do I need to solder wires for each section of track and if not, how often should I?
once again no, no, no. In my opinion that would be way overkill. The scenic ridge is basically a figure 8 inside an oval. I would run a set of wires to 4 spots right down the center of the layout (front center, lower figure 8 just about where they cross, upper figure 8, and rear center). That easily provides power to 4 locations almost equal distance around the layout without long runs of wire. A locomotive will never be more than 1/4 lap away from power.

Welcome aboard. Ironhorseman basically summed up some good tips that I agree with. I this hobby the same answer may get many different answers so pick and choose. May I suggest some beginner books or at least some advice. Look into the bookstore at Kalmbachhobbystore.com. They publish many beginners help books, get at least one. The advice, hopefully you have a local hobby shop, LHS, visit and ask them questions too.

enjoy
TomO

Thanks everyone for the welcome and the replies. I guess I need to go buy a package or two of joiners and some books...but way better than soldering them all.

Back