Newb saying Hi [and pics of my layout]

Niko at home

Hey, I stumbled across this site while looking for info as I revamp my layout. I've had the set since I was about 6 - so about 15 years.

Anyway, on to the pics!

The basic layout, where most of the action is:

1.jpg

The original engine I got with the original trainset a while back. The powered engine is in the front, dummy in rear:

2.jpg

I know it's blury, but that is the second oldest engine:
3.jpg

The newest engine and its dummy.
4.jpg

view from near the top of the "mountain":
5.jpg

Parts of the army base at the top of the mountain... this is all connected with the core set down below.
6.jpg

To control all this... I can run two engines at once... But all three can be on the layout at once, as I can turn sections off and on.
7.jpg

I recently took off almost everything except for buildings. And all the cars are in one section, as you can see. I'm going to vac the set, and then go about "maturing" it. Prior to this, I had out of scale Hotwheels, etc on there. I'm currently planning out the new phase... I'll take pics as things come about.

edit: size drastically reduced...

Last edited by a moderator:
They are a bit big -- maybe 20% smaller would work.

Otherwise... what spurned the "maturing" of the layout, and what have you planned?

abcraghead said:
They are a bit big -- maybe 20% smaller would work.

Otherwise... what spurned the "maturing" of the layout, and what have you planned?

I'll try to resize them later tonight...

Well, it's winter time and I have no garage, so I can't work on the car :) I'm not sure what else. I think the fact that I have an awesome girlfriend who is interested in model trains as well may have helped. I kinda got an itch, and began looking online and now I got a wicked big itch... Nothing has really been done to the layout since I was about 15 probably... I'm 21 now...

Planned... consolidating road names. Remove the Conrail, etc cars. I've been out of the loop so I did not know BN and ATSF merged, so that will play a part. Maybe change the mini yard I have to handle a few more cars. Scratch build a more realistic miliary base. And I think what I really want to do most is add more realistc background and scenery... add some industry, grass, streets that look like asphalt, etc.

I would also like to add more feet of track. This is in my basement, and even though the basement is large... it is all different rooms, so it will be difficult. I'm thinking maybe make a small hole in the wall [something small, like you would if you were doing plumbing] and run some track along the walls of the room next to the room the current layout is in.

I got lots of plans and ideas. I don't have enough time or cash to do it all at once though. :) [Damn, I wrote a novella]

You can put your staging or some other yard-type module in the second room. If there's space, you could move all your rolling stock storage there as well; that'll give you more space in the real layout room.

For me, I have a 11x22 section of the basement for the main layout. One wall is the laundry room wall. I plan to cut a couple holes in this wall and put the staging trackage there. I can then move my rolling stock storage containers under this section. Not only will that be convenient, it will get that out of the main train room, giving me more space for the actual layout.

Kennedy

Sounds good for getting started again. A separate staging area in the next room would be a good addition that way you could also use the wall behind the layout now to do a rise to the new Army Base.

Speaking about Scenery, I know of another modeler in Wakefield who also has a Santa Fe layout. If you attended the "Tour-de Chooch" this year. You might have seen it.

Happy Modeling. :D

Note: all of the below is only a suggestion - it's your layout to set up and run as you wish (that's part of the fun!)

One thing you might want to think about is what "year" is your layout. This can help you decide what belongs and what doesn't.
For instance, your Santa Fe Geeps (the blue & yellow ones) are good from the 50s up to the late 70s or even into the 80s, although I suspect they would have been rebuilt with low noses by then. The paint jobs are post-1971, I believe.
The F-units (the 2nd and newest ones) were mostly rebuilt by the Santa Fe between 1970 and 1978 into CF-7s, a much different looking beast. If you have the engine numbrer off the silver & red Santa Fe, you can go to http://rosters.gcrossett.com/atsf/CF7config.htm and see if you can find out when it was rebuilt. I can't tell what railroad your 2nd oldest belongs to.

Right now your engines put you squarely in the midst of the early 1970s per the prototype - so that might have an impact on "when" you want to model. You won't be dealing with doublestacks in that time period, but on a positive note you can still have cabooses on all your trains.

Just a thought....

the fact that I have an awesome girlfriend who is interested in model trains
Yep that'll do it, every time! :D
Hi Nick and thanks for the introduction to your trains. In regards to scenery, if I might suggest some of the links on how to do it by hminky (Harold) make for good reading.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&u=2442
And there are lots of posts by other members worth reading that will help you formulate a plan for your layout. So take a little tour through each section, read the posts, and when in doubt about something, just ask, that's what I do.
Cheers Willis

Kennedy, I like the idea of putting the rolling stock storage in another room. I never thought of it... but that makes so much sense!

grumpybob said:
Sounds good for getting started again. A separate staging area in the next room would be a good addition that way you could also use the wall behind the layout now to do a rise to the new Army Base.

Which wall? The brown painted wood to the right of the layout in the first pic is the rise right now... I had no intentions of changing that right now.

Speaking about Scenery, I know of another modeler in Wakefield who also has a Santa Fe layout. If you attended the "Tour-de Chooch" this year. You might have seen it.

I did not attend that, nor do I know what is. I did not attend the annual trainshow in Wakefield either. I haven't gone in ages...

JeffShultz said:
Note: all of the below is only a suggestion - it's your layout to set up and run as you wish (that's part of the fun!)

I'm open to all suggestions. Every suggestion will at least get my brain thinking about something different that I hadn't thought of!

One thing you might want to think about is what "year" is your layout. This can help you decide what belongs and what doesn't.
For instance, your Santa Fe Geeps (the blue & yellow ones) are good from the 50s up to the late 70s or even into the 80s, although I suspect they would have been rebuilt with low noses by then. The paint jobs are post-1971, I believe.
I know the engines are all old. When I first started this I wasn't concerned really with any time period. I just bought or got stuff that I thought was cool or other people thought was cool. In my mind right now I think I would like to model say 1990s to now. I think I want to buy newer, better engines anyway [eventually]... so changing the time period won't be that hard for me. Like you said, it's all for fun, so doing the scenery and laying the new track will be the priority. As long as I have engines that can run I'll be happy :)

The F-units (the 2nd and newest ones) were mostly rebuilt by the Santa Fe between 1970 and 1978 into CF-7s, a much different looking beast. If you have the engine numbrer off the silver & red Santa Fe, you can go to http://rosters.gcrossett.com/atsf/CF7config.htm and see if you can find out when it was rebuilt.

I need to research what engines were operated when. I'm starting to, and I've found a few good links from this site. edit: The number on the silver SF is 609. The only 609 I found was a different engine... post rebuild maybe? C44-9W was the model.

I can't tell what railroad your 2nd oldest belongs to.

B and O.

Right now your engines put you squarely in the midst of the early 1970s per the prototype - so that might have an impact on "when" you want to model. You won't be dealing with doublestacks in that time period, but on a positive note you can still have cabooses on all your trains.

Yeah, that's definitely what I need to decide. I think I'd like to do something more modern... say 1990 - now. The military base is 90% modern, police, fire, etc etc is all 1985 on up.

CB&CNSfan said:
Yep that'll do it, every time! :D

I shouldn't say she's interested in modelling, so much as she seems interested in my layout and is bummed that she hasn't seen it run yet [the track *needs* to be scrubbed]. In addition to her, I have a little cousin who is always bummed out because the train is never working. I guess both of them kinda gave me motivation.

Hi Nick and thanks for the introduction to your trains. In regards to scenery, if I might suggest some of the links on how to do it by hminky (Harold) make for good reading.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&u=2442
And there are lots of posts by other members worth reading that will help you formulate a plan for your layout. So take a little tour through each section, read the posts, and when in doubt about something, just ask, that's what I do.

I've been looking through here whenever I get free time. I've seen lots of neat stuff. I won't have time to do any actual work for a while... so I'm just gathering info and ideas for now.

the rise i was mentioning would be agains the wall with the darker color boards.

"Tour De chooch" is an open house event held annually the thanksgiving weekend where layouts in Mass and NH open up to the public for viewing. Usually there are at least 5 of the 10 layouts within 10 to 15 minutes from the wakefield area.

grumpybob said:
the rise i was mentioning would be agains the wall with the darker color boards.

I still don't understand... you mean redo the one that is there? For that, I'm not going to go too nuts. I"ll have my girlfriend paint a background to put back there, but that's about it. You can't really get close to there anyway.

"Tour De chooch" is an open house event held annually the thanksgiving weekend where layouts in Mass and NH open up to the public for viewing. Usually there are at least 5 of the 10 layouts within 10 to 15 minutes from the wakefield area.

I did not know of that. I'll have to keep an eye and ear open next year.

Back