New Year Photo Fun

As of today, I have an operational Model Railroad! The last item I had to do to be able to run the entire mainline of the two rooms was to replace an old "Earthquake" style solenoid turnout machine that burned out a while back. This machine was installed over 20 years ago and was the last of that type on the layout. Without it operational I could not run trains from one half of the layout to the other half. So...... I spent most of my hobby time today fabricating the linkage to use a Tortoise Machine in that location. Here is what I removed:

Replace_01w.png

First step was to fabricate a new linkage throw rod from old code 100 rail I have laying around and Piano wire (reused the wire from the old linkage).

Replace_02w.png

Mounted the Torti to the platform:

Replace_03w.png

Placed a Terminal strip in an easy to connect location:

Replace_04w.png

Soldered the wires to the Torti and connected them to the Terminal Strip:

Replace_05w.png

Replace_06w.png

Finished assembling the hardware on the Torti and added the scratch built linkage:

Replace_07w.png

Here it is mounted and working under the layout:

Replace_08w.png

BTW, the linkage going up to the turnout was also scratch built over 20 years ago from a piece of rail, some piano wire, and a small finishing nail mounted in a piece of wood. There was also a homemade device for routing the power to the frog that still worked (you can see the other two finishing nails that were used as a switch to reverse the current still in the block of wood. The wire for that was removed as it will now be powered through the tortoise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Scott. This is the kind of stuff that I really like doing (when it works.....:eek: :rolleyes: :D ). I like to take a situation and fabricate whatever needs to be built to solve the problem.

Ray Come on over, and rig up my 12 or so switches for me.. cant decide if i want to pickup tortise switch machines or... do it by hand... or ????

Its been a while since I've posted anything in "WPF" so I figured it would be appropriate to end the year with another pic. I know that some of these were posted in past, but right now I don't have any new ones.

This is a picture of one of my "big 50's" leaving Blue Creek yard on Rex's laout in Tuscaloosa.

5025SantaFe.jpg

This next one is a photo of my absolute favorite loco model, the 949, class F-1 4-6-0. My Dad was the fireman on the prototype and he was probably my biggest "fan" when it came to trains.

SRR949.jpg

Well this will have to do for now. One of these days I'll finish photographing my entire fleet and will post them here.

Really Nice Stuff Everyone!!

Well, My year end contribution isn't much, but at least I've got some irons in the fire. Although most of my modeling time is consumed by the American Freedom Train Project:
AFT_Dachs_1.png

AFT_Dachs_4.png

I have found a little time to work on the layout. Specifically doing the rock work between Ablemann and Dachshundville. This is the area before;
Layout_progress_8.png

Layout_progress_7.png

And the work to date;

1.png

2.png

Thanks for a great year on the forum, and I look forward to what the next year will bring. Have a safe and Happy New Year!!

Johnny

Ray That is a work of art
Carey the 949 is a great little engine
Johnny i love the rockwork, how did you make it ??

saved

Ray you saved my MRR live;) Because I thought everything "down under" the layout was not mentioned for me because of the manny wires and how to connect them on a proper way.I had always the idea tha t it had to look like the inside of an radio or tuner: everything's on the right place with very small perfect soldered wires etc very clean almost built like a robot.When I see your pictures it gives me much confedence to solve my wiring of my old layout, wich I did not start ever!:eek:
Thank you for this contibution Ray!

Jos

Johnny I love those spectacular big rocks you made even without "green "stuff on it...It is a spectacular "devider""!!

Johnny i love the rockwork, how did you make it ??

Thanks Steve, on this I stacked 2" extruded foam pieces using liquid nails. After it had set, I carved away at it with an ordinary kitchen steak knife. Using mostly horizontal strokes then carving out vertical 'chunks'. Just cut away anything that doesn't resemble rocks!

Johnny

Johnny I love those spectacular big rocks you made even without "green "stuff on it...It is a spectacular "devider""!!

Thanks my friend, They will get some pines and other 'brush'. And as far as a divider, I love the way it hides what's around the bend. Be a good place to test 'new' hoggers on my pike. When the second level is complete, it will rest almost on top of this rockwork.

Happy New Year All!!!

Johnny

Creay That 949 is really a fine looking Loco,Johnny that rock work is impressive , Ray thanks for sharing you techniques .

Ill use this Photo fun to inform you of some updates on the layout ;)

These are some picks of walls i have on the front and back of layout to prevent derailments from landing on the floor. I added this just shortly after a locomotive fell and broke the shell and bent an axle i figured 12 dollars of wood will save me hundreds in locomotive damage ;)
IMG_0477.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

As another update i recently bought kadee couplers for the first time and converted all the horn hooked couplers too kadees and very happy i did.

IMG_0297.jpg

picture of my newer loco, I finally got a decoder for it, the hobby shop was sold out and took awhile to come in and luckily it came with an extra conversion harness and wire for converting BB athearn so with it i converted my amtrak engine.
IMG_0285.jpg

And lastly heres a picture of the train around the christmas tree
IMG_0126.jpg

And heres a pic of my dog after having to much christmas fun
IMG_0073.jpg

Im a bit trigger happy with my new camera, i got 2gb memory so 1000 pics later i can still keep going :p

Once again, dazzling pics everyone!

Johnny, Dem roks be looksin good!:D

Here's a few I just took. The Platte Canyon Sub has undergone some power changes and acquisitions...

LGM's new P2K U28B with QSI. Thanks Trainworld!
339793824_d24701d25c.jpg

The old P1K F3 set got a make over. I Dull Coted the shells, lightly weathered them and highlighted the molded grab irons. They also got new Digitrax decoders as they still had ancient MRC electronics. As you might imagine, the smoothness and speed control is much improved.
339810177_7f6e4b99d4.jpg

This loco started life as a Stewart F3 I got cheap ($23!!!) on ebay. When I was visiting with Keith, our local Digitrax dealer, I noticed he had a P1K F3 shell in CB&Q paint sitting idle. Well, we needed more CB&Q power, so guess what? It got the Dull Cote/weathering treatment and highlights on its molded grabs. I'm not sure if CB&Q F3s had Mars lights or not, but the one in ours looks great. ;) Thanks Digitrax! Now all I need to do is figure out what to do with the spare Stewart D&RGW F3 shell we've got. If I can find a dummy frame somewhere, we'll probably make a sound unit out of it.
339793833_bc9cb58a16.jpg

339810179_4b3c7a9e20.jpg

As a side note. LGM's Stewart F9s and the Stewart FT set now have Soundtraxx boards in the B units. This is great. We want more sound!!! :)

bridge is in now,all I've have to do is more bench work,track laying,build buildings,wiring and more changes. every time I log in here I'm making changes from things I see here. I'ts all your fault!!:D

Paul-Thank you sir, I'm not going to spend a whole lot more time on her, the cars are my main focus for now. In the photos of the rockwork, the empty space to the right(near-side) of tracks will be all rock as well.

Johntealon-Thanks John, Everytime I see your stuff, I think about how cool it looks. And I see you haven't lost your indoor privelages! Atta-Boy!! That engine in your latest video, is that a GP-7/9 hood bashed on? Looks like it's a s-m-o-o-t-h runner.

GrandeMan-Thanks Eric, While you had me with the CB & Q F3 unit(soft spot), the chinese red, U boat is flippin' cool. I think because of where it is posed. There's just something about a train on a diamond that I dig.

Great photos everyone and.....
HAPPY NEW YEAR ! ! !

Johnny

bridge is in now,all I've have to do is more bench work,track laying,build buildings,wiring and more changes. every time I log in here I'm making changes from things I see here. I'ts all your fault!!:D

Lookin good Radar, I'm guessing that you mean it's all REXS' fault(;) )!! Im sure like the rest of us you spent hours drooling over his fan-flippin-tastic bridge scenes!!
And if you haven't seen 'em, check out the thread for some more ideas!!

Happy New Year!!

Johnny

Johnny, the loco "was" a GP50 from Bachmaan in NW black, new cab and side frames made wider. It is a smooth runner it will crawl along all day and with the 8 wheel drive / pickup it pulls well. I'm hoping my January Birthday will bring me a second to add to the team.

Back